• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Durum flour

devlin

I'm having a heck of a time finding a source for durum these days, especially since King Arthur/the Baker's Catalog doesn't carry it anymore, currently. I'm wondering whether shipping costs finally made it too cost-prohibitive for them. Anybody have any information about where to get durum?

Durum flour, real durum flour, and I don't mean semolina either because at the moment I have no way to grind semolina into durum, is damned hard to find. It's grown only in a handful of states in this country, primarily in North Dakota where the US Durum Growers Association resides. I've phoned them and several places in North Dakota trying to find local mills or even growers, but they're pretty tight-fisted with their information and so far I've just not gotten anywhere.

I buy really nice bread flours and grains from a local mill (Kentucky), but they don't carry durum, only semolina in 3 lb bags which is pricey and I'd have to grind it for durum. The closest I was able to find a "local" source was a # from the USDGA for a distributor in St. Louis who "might" sell a pallet of the stuff to me, but she wasn't sure.

And because these days I'm baking for business, I'm looking for bulk. Buying 3 lb bags just isn't cost effective for me. And I'd like to buy direct from a mill.

Edited by devlin (log)

:hmmm: think I should know the difference between durum and semolina!

Durum Flour

devlin, above is one of the links that I got from a popular website.

if that's what you are looking for, then I am correct, you will find a 20lb bag (multiple makes: Swad, Golden Temple, Meera, etc.) for about $7/-

but you would have to go to a grocer. also known as chapati flour...

hope this helps

edit to add:

becaboo, what is the problem that you get?

is it the rise that is an issue? try kneading more, as it might be low in gluten.

Edited by liv4fud (log)

The durum flour found in most Indian grocery stores is the Atta which I agree is less prefered for the Italian recipes.

The light, very fine Durum flour is hard to find as relatively very few people bake with it in N. America (certain Southern Italian bakers excepted).

Try contacting a local bakery supply company and see if they carry it (of course in at least a 20k size) or see if they can order it for you.

Also, liv4fud, flours lower in gluten do not normally benefit from more kneading.

becaboo, what is the problem that you get?

is it the rise that is an issue?  try kneading more, as it might be low in gluten.

I can't really remember--I just know that when I've used atta flour my breads don't come out as well as when I use $.99/lb "durum flour." The durum flour looks really different, too--it's a creamy color, while the atta flour I get is speckled with brown. I don't think they're the same thing.

devlin, King Arthur/Baker’s Catalogue does carry the 3# size durum flour

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/Durum_Flour.html

I didn’t see it listed in the professional bakers section but it might be worth giving them a call re larger quantities available through their wholesale distributors for bakeries.

Bob’s Red Mill carries so many flours and grains including semolina in bulk. They might be able to provide durum too or give you a good lead.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/index.php

its been a while but I remember having a big grinding mill (like a washer) in our home. and I remember my granny trying to get a particular texture n consistency. that was different for breads( rotis, parathas, puris) and different for savory cakes (oondhwa).

and yes, I might be wrong about the gluten part of things.

but don't know if the consistency is something you are looking for.

It's my understanding as well that Atta "durum" is not the same as the durum that's used for pastas and in Italian-style breads. And it's exactly that I'm using it for. I need the super fine grind of the true durum.

Baker's catalog/King Arthur's recently raised the price of their durum a dollar for a 3 lb bag. And, again, buying flour at that price doesn't make any sense for me. I'm not just baking bread for myself, it's for the bread business.

Again, what I'm looking for long term is a mill that will supply the flour, and it's been difficult finding them. I've just managed to put together a short list, though, and will give them a call. And the Durum association is slowly getting more and more information up on their web site.

Given the price of durum is relatively high, I'm wondering too whether the Atta at $7.00 a 20 lb bag can be what I'm looking for. I'm willing to explore the options though, so thanks for all the feedback.

heres a very good company. Unfortunately I didnt look at the site very long so I dont know if there is online purchasing or if you can get less than 50 lbs at a time. But its worth giving a look.

Con Agra

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

just found this....

http://food4.epicurious.com/HyperNews/get/...01-800/776.html

"Harvest States has been the leading supplier

of durum flours and semolina to U.S. pasta

manufacturers for more than half a century.

Under its Amber Flour® brand, Harvest States

offers a variety of flours to meet the needs

of the ever-popular pasta market. All flour

is available in bulk railcars and trucks as

well as 50- and 100-pound bags. Harvest

States excels at blending to customer

specification, and maintains kosher and

organic certification at select locations.

For more information about these products or

to find the distributor serving your area,

email: durumflour@harveststates.com or call

800-552-6237."

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

heres a very good company.  Unfortunately  I didnt look at the site very long so I dont know if there is online purchasing or if you can get less than 50 lbs at a time.  But its worth giving a look.

Con Agra

ConAgra's "King Midas" Extra Fancy, which is the first item shown on the above link, is the durum flour carried by Dutch Valley Foods (mentioned above by piazzola.) I am 99.9% sure that ConAgra doesn't offer online purchasing, but I think this brand is widely distributed through bakery supplers.... if you can use 50 lbs.

Ilene

heres a very good company.  Unfortunately  I didnt look at the site very long so I dont know if there is online purchasing or if you can get less than 50 lbs at a time.  But its worth giving a look.

Con Agra

ConAgra's "King Midas" Extra Fancy, which is the first item shown on the above link, is the durum flour carried by Dutch Valley Foods (mentioned above by piazzola.) I am 99.9% sure that ConAgra doesn't offer online purchasing, but I think this brand is widely distributed through bakery supplers.... if you can use 50 lbs.

I am in NJ and Dawn Foods here carries ConAgra Extra Fanct Durum

Thanks so much y'all for all the help and advice. I'm following up on some of these, and once I find a deal to my liking, I'll get back to you.