• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RCMP Depot food 'BAD'

cheekycook

Hi!

I'm a chef in Montreal, my boyfriend made the RCMP and has been stationed in Regina since May. He's in search of good local restaurants where he can get good food in comparison to the generic caf food he's stuck eating everyday.

There has to be some good Mom & Pop places worth checking out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

A quick Google gave me these:

Heliotrope (2204 McIntyre, 569-3373)

Cathedral Village Free House (2062 Albert St)

New Japonica (2167 Hamilton St, 359-7669)

The Creek in Cathedral Bistro (3414-13th Ave, 352-4448

India House (806 Victoria Ave 585-8882)

I can vouch for Heliotrope-casual vegetarian restaurant in a heritage house.

I've also been to the Cathedral Creek Bistro which is fantastic.

I always have the spinach feta pizza at the Copper Kettle, mom and pop place downtown.

There's also a Vietnamese place downtown which is fine-can't recall the name.

There's a good Italian deli-again the name escapes me. Great sandwiches. It should be easy to find int he phone book.

Hope this gives you something to work with. Give us a full report! I'll e-mail my friends there to research what's new.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Zucchini Mama:

Certainly agree with your recommendation of the Creek in Cathedral Bistro. I had several meals there during my last visit to Regina and enjoyed speaking with the lady who owns it. It was my favourite.

The Cathedral Village Free House was a bustling, busy pub with the standard fare you would expect.

Have you or your friends there tried Willow or Willows on Wascana in the marina area? Another place had previously been there when I did a Google search before heading to Regina but had closed when I visited. I have since read a couple of decent reviews.

Cheekycook, I hope you post after your visit and I think I'll be heading to a course in Regina in November or Janurary...yes, yes I get all the "plum" trips...it may even be at Depot Division "to boot" [smile]...oh well, I will bring lots of "taxi money".......

Thank you both for your great input! It is very much appreciated!!!

I'll be heading to Regina at the end of October for my boyfriend's graduation, sheesh, six months is a long time to be apart!!! I can't wait to see him and get to sample the food at some of the places you mentioned. Let's hope I won't have to resort to eating "depot food" during my short stay, that would really suck...

What is it exactly that you do Merlin? Are you involved in any way with the RCMP?

Thanks a bunch for all your help. Keep your eyes peeled for my posting once I get back.

Once all this is said and done, were being re-located to New Brunswick where I'm planning on opening a small place.

thanks again!!!

A quick Google gave me these:

Heliotrope (2204 McIntyre, 569-3373)

Cathedral Village Free House (2062 Albert St)

New Japonica (2167 Hamilton St, 359-7669) 

The Creek in Cathedral Bistro (3414-13th Ave, 352-4448

India House (806 Victoria Ave 585-8882)

I can vouch for Heliotrope-casual vegetarian restaurant in a heritage house.

I've also been to the Cathedral Creek Bistro which is fantastic.

I always have the spinach feta pizza at the Copper Kettle, mom and pop place downtown.

There's also a Vietnamese place downtown which is fine-can't recall the name.

There's a good Italian deli-again the name escapes me. Great sandwiches. It should be easy to find int he phone book.

I'll start by saying that I escaped Regina just about one year ago, so these are impressions of an ex-inmate...

All five of the restos above are between good and really good with the exception of the India House. They're rather legendary for closing and re-opening after the health inspector visits...

I suspect the Vietnamese place is Viet Thai, right next door to the Freehouse. Decent pho, good curries, great spring rolls and cheaper than dirt. And that Italian deli is on Victoria Avenue, a couple blocks east from the Comfort Inn (home of Memories, one of the more overpriced french spots in town). The deli is incredible :biggrin:

New Japonica is actually Neo Japonica, and it's really good. I was always really surprised at how fresh the sushi is in Regina, both there and at the new sushi place which is right next door to O'Hanlon's (which is right next door to the Copper Kettle)...Kabuki rings a bell. Sushi isn't cheap in Regina, though, as an fyi. The Guinness Stew at O'Hanlon's, on the other hand, is - and it's still the best pint of Guinness I've ever had pulled.

I'd also recommend Ankor and the Medeterranian Grill, both out off Victoria by the Costco (same complex as Blockbuster). Ankor has really good crispy duck, and the Med Grill does awesome paella.

Oh, and if he's up for a artery-clogging night, I still lust after the chicken wings with buffalo ranch sauce at The Broken Rack, a pool hall/sports bar in the Golden Mile shopping centre. Service is great (say hi to Rachel and Maryanne), beer's cold and cheap, and the wings are miles above anything I can find on the Island. I hate to admit it, but when I'm home in a couple weeks, that's the first place I'm heading...

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

Thanks for the info reverendtmac,

What kind of cuisine is at Ankor?

Also, remind me of the name of the bistro in the old men's club and the name of the really popular steakhouse downtown.

Please post about where and what you eat on your trip home and recruit some people from Regina for eGullet. Recruit! Recruit! Recruit!

Zucchini Mama

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Zucchini Mama:

I think the spot in the former mens' club is Danbry's. Had lunch there one day when I did not feel like joining the buffet line-up at the Delta down the street where I was attending a conference. Interesting look. Food was just ok. I think at the time they had either just changed chefs or were in the process of doing so.

Of course lunch may not give one a true appreciation for a place.

Nearby is Golf's Steak House. At least I think that is the name. Flaming torches on the outside wall. Renovated...thank goodness...funeral parlour I believe.

I ended up there on the Sunday nite of my arrival after having walked what felt like miles trying to find an interesting spot....unfortunately, contrary to what I had read on the internet the The Creek in Cathedral Bistro was not open on Sundays.

Real "old school'. Lots of dark, heavy furniture, red upholstery and carpet, waiters in tuxes with papillon bow-ties. Usually exactly the type of spot I avoid. However, my meal and service were both excellent albeit predictable.

It seemed that a number of the hotels in the area had steakhouse themed restaurants.

Agree with reverendtmac about the Mediterranean Grill if it is the same place I am thinking of. Quite a ways out to the eastern suburbs of the city in amongst the strip malls and box stores? I had been "warned off it" by other posters but had quite a decent meal of black and white sesame seed coated salmon. Friendly service and a better wine list than most of the spots I tried.

Owned by the same fellow or group who also own the Tapas restaurant and a sushi place I was told.

reverendtmac:

How are you enjoying the "deep fried" fare of Charlottetown? If I never see a deep fried clam and a plate of fries again it will be too soon :rolleyes: Thank goodness for On Broadway, Sirenella and somewhat surprisingly, The Merchantman Pub. I have heard good things about the Pilot's House. Have you been?

Thanks for the info reverendtmac,

What kind of cuisine is at Ankor?

Also, remind me of the name of the bistro in the old men's club and the name of the really popular steakhouse downtown.

Please post about where and what you eat on your trip home and recruit some people from Regina for eGullet. Recruit! Recruit! Recruit!

Zucchini Mama

Merlin had it right - Danbry's is in the old men's club and Golf's is the steakhouse...and as for Angkor (there, finally spelt it right!), it's south-eastern asian. We'll probably end up there, so I'll see if I can't get the family and girlfriend to order something fun :D And I'll definitely do a little travelblog if I have time - even if I just end up shooting the pictures while I'm out there...

Merlin - the Pilot House is decent; it's as good a steak as you're going to get on the Island, seeing as, well, the beef really is different out here. Too true about the fried clams and soggy chips, though. I want a great meal, I drive the 45 minutes to the Inn at Bay Fortune and get the tasting menu.

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

By the way,

Reverendtmac, I noticed your from PEI, it's official, my boyfriend and I are relocating once he gets out, we'll be stationned in New Brunswick, I'll be opening a restaurant for sure. Drop by and seen me when you'll have time.