• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle's Best Clam Chowder

I couldn't find a previous thread so I thought I'd start one.

I love the clam chowder at the Brooklyn and though I haven't had it in a long time, I have fond memories of Duke's. I think the chowder at Ivar's and Spuds is no better than Skipper's or Campbell's. And the only other Seattle chowder I've had is in West Seattle at The Charlestown Street Cafe and their "Award Winning" chowder, which was not much better than Denny's.

Any other good places around here??

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

How's the chowder at Jack's Fish Spot across from the Market (next to the bakery) - they have it there don't they? I was disappointed in their cioppino when I tried it but thought maybe they could do better with chowder.

I really enjoy Duke's as well. Smooth, creamy but not overwhelmingly rich. A great balance of textures and flavors.

Don't flame me too badly, but I've always like skipper's clam chowder. The peppery flavour is quite nice.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

I wound up going to the Brooklyn for lunch (though I hope I get more suggestions...thanks so far).

The Brooklyn is unique to the chowders I have had elsewhere. Besides being so damned tasty, it has an orange/red tint that I wonder if it's got a bit of tomato or carrot in it. It did have small orange bits in it, but it tasted like much of the rest of the chowder so I couldn't identify it. I wish I had their recipe. I wish the Ceasar Salad was as good. The lettuce was a bit wilty and it was more vinegary than I like. The thin croutons were a bit hard too.

A question for Chef's: are you flattered or do you hate it when a customer who loves your food asks for the recipe? I know some places, like Chaisen's (sp?) gives out their chili recipe.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

If you want to try Duke's Chowder Bar (4th, just south of Union - 1324 4th) they are running a chowder happy hour - 1/2 price from 2 until closing (I think that is around 3:30.)

They are also serving free clam chowder on September 21, 2005. Last year the line was very long.

Edited by tsquare (log)