• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Belly Fried Clams within 50 miles of Dallas

friedclams

I'm drawing a complete blank for any restaurant, stand, shack which serves new england style whole belly fried clams within 50 miles of Dallas ...

price is no object... I need a fix...

clam strips won't do... whole belly "piss" clams (steamer clams) are required...

Can anyone recommend a location ???

Lately I've been buying fresh steamer clams at Central Market in Plano, cleaning, mealing and frying myself... I'd give anything for a good seafood restaurant serving them up locally...

Try Thirty-Six Degrees on Lemmon in Uptown.  Their connected fish market (can't remember the name), though small, offers quite fresh seafood and often stocks clams.  Although I'm not sure if they are offered on the menu, I feel certain if you call ahead, Mr. Svalesen would be quite accomodating to any requests.  He always has been.  Also try the delicious scallops with curry mustard appatizer.  However, this is one of the rare restaurants where the entrees rule.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks 4 the tip... I'll give it a try...the problem usually stocking and selling... the shucked piss clams come in large buckets which if not sold go to waste... and then there's the work involved... but so many local places sell fried oysters I could never figure out why fried clams wouldn't be on the menu..

meanwhile, I've asked Whole Foods and Central Mkt to stock them and neither could/would get them from local suppliers... so I'm not confident that any restaurant, even one associated with a fish mkt would serve them...

not even Dottie Griffith (DMN) could recommend a local place with whole belly fried clams...but she doesn't strike me as being seafood savvy...lol

last time I needed a fix this bad I flew east and ate them until I was completely stuffed...

guess its back to bbq 4now....lol

The clams I'm referring to and looking for within 50 miles of Dallas (restaurant, shack, stand, fishmonger) are Ipswich imported from the east coast typically available fresh from New England as far south as Maryland and served up fried golden in a meal-type coating.

I'm not aware of a substitute available from the waters off Texas...lol

I'm just trying to find someone who might have come across a source here in the Dallas area...

• 1 month later...

Thanks 2 all who made suggestions....

whole belly fried clams FOUND at Lobster Ranch @ Preston Rd and NW Hwy in Dallas on the menu as "Big Belly Clams" market price....

I paid $12 for an 8oz order...which came with fries and cole slaw...

Lobster Ranch is a new concept restaurant by Phil Romano of Macaroni Grill fame...

clams were abit smaller than I would have liked, but properly mealed/breaded and fried golden in fresh oil ...

one can't complain .... fried clams are so rare in these parts.....

they've also got steamers !!!!!! nice .....