• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robb Walsh's Texas Burger Binge

FoodMan

Robb Walsh in this week's cover story goes on a Texas Burger Binge. He is trying to find the ultimate Texas burger, so all the name of research he cases joints all around the state, judges a cook-off, eats 15 burgers in one day (I'm not sure even Kobayashi can do that)!, and does a pilgrimage to try the famous DB Burger. It's amazing how few of his 18 places to try I've evenm heard off. I guess it's time to start binging

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

You don't have to go all the way to New York City to get a DB style burger. My buddy Dave over in Shreveport is putting out an appetizer version and man are they good and the size is much more managable. Kind of like a slider gone uptown and much improved at the same time.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Other great Houston Burgers:

Barnaby's on Fairview Bacon Bleu Cheese Burger

Niko Nikos "Athena Burger"

Lucky Burger on Richmond

Someday I am going to get to the Lankford Grocery!

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Yippee! My favorite local joint made the list. I first started eating at Tookie's in Seabrook about '77 or '78, I think. Way back then they were serving these "exotic" burgers that no one had ever heard of. The Squealer is just like Robb describes. But, I have been stuck on that Bean Burger for decades now. Did he mention that they put Fritos® on it, inside the bun? Truly inspired.

I also now have a list of places to try. I am always after that elusive griddle cooked, fresh ground and hand formed patty, beaten into submission with a heavy spatula on a screeching hot grill. When I walk into a burger place, my nose can always tell me if that is what they are doing. I like mine fairly thin with lots of crunchy browny bits. That, after the well toasted bun, is the genesis of a great burger for me. The condiments can vary from there.

I didn't see it mentioned and I may be wrong but wasn't Texas A&M the place where they worked on domestically raised Wagyu beef? If so, how fitting that the makings of Wagyu burgers started in Texas as well. Trying one of those is now very high on my list. Hey . . . They have healthy fat!

Lone Star . . . The last time I had the Barnaby's bacon bleu cheese burger (not the one on Fairview) the patty was over cooked and dry. I will try it again at my favorite location on Fairview. Could you describe the "Athena Burger" at Niko Niko? My imagination is running away with me about a Greek burger.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Duh! Niko Niko has a web site. Here is the description from the menu.

Mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and feta cheese on 1/2 lb. burger

Sounds promising, if the patty is right.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Gilhooley's in San Leon makes a cold rare or a warm rare or a hot rare burger for all of us true carnivores who want hamburgers that can be healed with a few band aids.  :biggrin:

That has to qualify for the most unique burger ordering criteria I have ever heard! This is not a joke is it? Cold rare = raw?!

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I got curious about the Wagyu beef and what part Texas A&M may have played in that so I went a-googling. I haven't found the A&M answer yet but I did find this interesting article from the 2001 Austin Chronicle. Any Aggies out there know anything about A&M's role in developing Wagyu beef?

My next quest will be one of those burgers. The more I thnk about it the closer that gets to my Must-Eat-Before-I-Die list.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Unfortunately Harrel Ranch closed due to a highway running through the middle of their property causing them to lose the organic designation. I hope they get started again soon because that beef was by far the best beef being sold, hands down. The dry aged prime was nearly as good as the Wagyu they were selling.

I got curious about the Wagyu beef and what part Texas A&M may have played in that so I went a-googling. I haven't found the A&M answer yet but I did find this interesting article from the 2001 Austin Chronicle. Any Aggies out there know anything about A&M's role in developing Wagyu beef?

My next quest will be one of those burgers. The more I thnk about it the closer that gets to my Must-Eat-Before-I-Die list.

The whole subject of Wagyu beef deserves more discussion here . . . Wagyu Beef in Texas

Back to burgers. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"