• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parisian patisseries that are closed in August

I'm doing my research of all the well know patisseries I plan to visit while I'm in Paris this weekend and I've noticed that some are closed during certain weeks (if not the entire month) of August. Does anyone know why this happens?

The following are on the top of my list (and it's a big list). Could anyone tell me if any of them are currently closed and when do they plan on opening again? Thanks!

Laduree

Lenotre

Cador

Dalloyau

Stohrer

Fauchon

Pierre Herme

Angelina's

I'm doing my research of all the well know patisseries I plan to visit while I'm in Paris this weekend and I've noticed that some are closed during certain weeks (if not the entire month) of August. Does anyone know why this happens?

The following  are on the top of my list (and it's a big list). Could anyone tell me if any of them are currently closed and when do they plan on opening again? Thanks!

Laduree

Lenotre

Cador

Dalloyau

Stohrer

Fauchon

Pierre Herme

Angelina's

France goes on vacation in August.

Mark

Answer: Because everyone's entitled to have a fermature annuelle and the nearest places open are usually posted outside. In my neighborhood it's about 1/2 in July and 1/2 in August.

But as Felice points out elsewhere, the rentree is in full swing, school began for the 4-day-a-week kids this week, and by the weekend, most folks will be in town.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

The following  are on the top of my list (and it's a big list). Could anyone tell me if any of them are currently closed and when do they plan on opening again? Thanks!

Laduree

Lenotre

Cador

Dalloyau

Stohrer

Fauchon

Pierre Herme

Angelina's

According to my Pudlo guide Pierre Herme re-opened on August 24, Stohrer on August 15, and Angelina's, Lenotre and Laduree don't list a closing at all.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I can only reply to my 'hood. On our walks, I noticed that Laduree (Bonaparte) was open, but their small chocolate storefront next door was closed for vacation. Dalloyou on Vaugirard, across from Luxembourg Gardens, appeared to be open. Pierre Herme was closed at all times of day and on all days we passed. Small help. Perhaps others can add so as to complete your list.

eGullet member #80.

Laduree

Lenotre

Cador

Dalloyau

Stohrer

Fauchon

Pierre Herme

Angelina's

Dalloyau (open every day from 9:00 a.m. until 8:30 p.m.) : http://www.dalloyau.fr/

Fauchon (open from 8:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. from Monday through Saturday): http://www.fauchon.fr/main/home.aspx?cookie

Laduree (Champs-Elysees boutique open 365 days a year from 7:30 A.M. until midnight): http://www.laduree.fr/

Lenotre (open every day): http://www.lenotre.fr/fr/index.html

All of the above are fairly commercial operations that are open every day year-round, with no August closing, but Fauchon is closed on Sundays.

Angelina's is pretty touristy, too, so I doubt that they close in August.

I am not familiar with Cador, but Stohrer and Pierre Herme are one shop operations and therefore may have an annual closing in August.

Edited by Luna Calvados (log)

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

Things usually start up again at the rentree, as John mentions above. The rentree begins in the last week of August and it means first week of September at the latest. The word rentree in French carries more meaning than back from vacation, it can also mean the start of something new! Now is a very good time to come to France because most people are in good moods, and an excellent time for you to be making your visits. It is also a very good time to get results from local administration, for some reason things can happen much more smoothly during the month of September...

Just called Stohrer and Pierre Herme to round out Luna's list. Herme's closing took place already (in August) and they're open now and in full swing. Stohrer does not close and they are open 7 days a week until 8:30 PM, as usual.

Enjoy your weekend!

It's also because it's easier to close for a few weeks and have everyone take their vacations at the same time, rather than trying to juggle everyone's various vacations throughout the year in a hectic pastry shop or restaurant, where are rarely over-staffed.

Also it's a good time for places to have any work or renovation done.

(Some places in the US close entirely as well, like the Zuni Café, in San Francisco, which closes for a few weeks in Sept.)

Edited by David Lebovitz (log)

• 2 years later...