• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate cake with mayonnaise

rajsuman

Thats just plain scary, 'kraut cake :wacko:  :blink:  :wacko:

:biggrin:

more than scary ..that would be downright disgusting... :wacko:

I guess it would be okay as long as you could use diet cola. Actually, people do love the mayo and the kraut type cakes. I don't recall anything with cherry cola.

There is a cherry cake make with a can of cherry pie filling and a chocolate cake mix, frosted with melted chocolate chips. I guess it's a version of a dump cake.

Our family uses a recipe that has sour cream in it!  It makes a very moist chocolate cake, and I'm sure that's just what the mayo does... you definitely can't tell that our cake has sour cream in it by the flavor.

Do you use baking soda for the rise?

yes, we do

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 2 years later...

I was wondering.... i figure that most chocolate mayonnaise cake recipes that i found ask for store bought mayo.... if homemade mayo is better for eating, does that mean it's better for baking? anyone tried using homemade?

Interesting, I've never heard of a chocolate mayonnaise cake. Looking at the back of a jar of Hellmann's mayonnaise, the ingredients are "soybean oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA." The last ingredient is a preservative and who knows what they mean by "natural flavors," but everything else is pretty standard. If you use only egg yolks for your mayo, it may change the way the cake behaves because of the extra fat. You might want to start with a combination of whole eggs and yolks. I'd say give it a try.

Most people love cakes baked with mayo. (I do not like the taste.) I've never used homemade but homemade sounds like a great idea actually if you're gonna do that. It bakes off a real nice moist cake, richer.

Just take one for the team here and try it. The only problem I can see is that homemade mayo is less sturdy - more inclined to break, than the jarred stuff with chemical additives. But, anyone who's made mayo from scratch knows that its good enough to eat by the spoonful, so if it works - oo la la!

Actually, it makes me wonder what the outcome would be if you made an oil-based cake by starting out by thoroughly emulsifying the eggs and oil (with, uh, some acid?) :smile:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

mark, good thing you mentioned the acid...you'll need something to react with the baking soda in the recipe if it calls for any. if you make homemade mayo without any acid, you'll likely have an out of balance chemical reaction with the leavener...unless of course the cocoa powder you use is natural (not dutch process)

• 13 years later...

Host's note: what was old is new again! This post and the next few responses spring from a post by @Alex in the Food Funnies topic.

I just saw some of the video's 

Chocolate mayonnaise cake.

very interesting.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I just saw some of the video's 

very interesting.

Oh it was a "thing" along with sauerkraut and Jello pudding. For moisture

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

My father was a complex combination of imaginary food allergies and stomach issues. Couldn't eat herbs or spices or pepper because it would have killed him. Couldn't have had any type of caffeine or alcohol because it would have killed him. Couldn't have any type of condiment, especially mayonnaise, that might possibly have any vinegar because it would have killed him. My oldest sister was kind of a sadistic b**** and after her marriage her favorite thing to bring to family gatherings was chocolate mayonnaise cake. She would sit there and smirk while he would eat every bite of it. I can't think why it never killed him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

When you think about the ingredients in mayonnaise, it is a good egg substitute. I always throw a big dollop of mayonnaise in my egg wash when I use a crumb coating for meat. I don't notice any taste difference but it sure makes the crumbs stick better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

When you think about the ingredients in mayonnaise, it is a good egg substitute. I always throw a big dollop of mayonnaise in my egg wash when I use a crumb coating for meat. I don't notice any taste difference but it sure makes the crumbs stick better.

Is it possible that this would work for breads to help toppings stick?

On 5/27/2021 at 10:40 AM, lindag said:

Is it possible that this would work for breads to help toppings stick?

Well I baked my bread today with mixed reviews. I'm satisfied with the nice brown color on the rolls but as for the seeds. Some stuck and some didn't. I will probably use it again as a glaze but I'm not crazy about seeds anyway. It doesn't work as well as egg wash.

20210529_115411.thumb.jpg.bba607a80ee0c1ed9e6e64a8f2fd7361.jpg

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Also, would anybody be interested in having this bread recipe. It is absolutely no fail! It is called easy brioche. Easy, absolutely! Brioche, Mas o Menos. I make it about twice a week and I have used it about 10 or 15 different ways.