• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: johnnyd - Dining Downeast

johnnyd

How are the winters?

gallery_16643_1028_25992.jpg

Good if you like winter. Bad if you don't. This is a Golf Course on Cape Elizabeth last January.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Johnny, do you typically eat this much seafood and fish, or is it mainly because it's in season now?

Hi, Pan. Loved your blog too.

I do eat a great deal of seafood and get cranky if I don't have it after three or so days. In general, I usually don't plan meals until I go to the markets. If some pork tenderloin is on sale, I start building around that, apps, starch, veg, wine or beer inclusive. I try to shift focus everyday because I don't think it's healthy to have the same dish more than two days in a row. After pork, I'll go fowl, to fish, to red meat, not necessarily in that order, but just so a variety is maintained.

This week I got a mess of fresh mussels so they were in two dishes, one of which incorporated a peculiar cooking device, the cataplana, a perfect choice for my fellow food enthusiasts. Had I not blogged, the second day might have been a pork-based menu with mussels as a starter, steamed the same way but with a different mix of herbs and such. Or I might have gone the tapas route, cooked off in advance and marinaded in EVOO, capers, roasted red pepper, shallots and herbs.

There isn't any lull in seasonal seafood here. Scallops, shrimp and sea urchin seasons are in winter. Soft shell lobster are a summer thing, but hardshells are available from pounds all year.

I actually had sushi (with incredible toro sashimi) for lunch yesterday, and more tuna and the remaining oysters in a home-made ponzu for dinner. So for me, there is no such thing as too much seafood... well, we are having a beef stir-fry this evening, but my freezer is packed with a quart of chowder, a quart of mussels/squid/cod cataplana, a quart of lobster stock, a quart of maine shrimp-shell stock, not to mention four quarts each of chicken stock and feijoada! :raz:

Coming up here anytime soon?

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

jhonnyd,

A compelling chronicle, sir. Thanks so much for those great photos, varitey of subjects and dishes. It is all I can do to keep to my resolution to not burn a single drop of gasoline over this long weekend. In other times I would have headed off toward the ocean in search of some seafood to cook, so inspired am I with this blog.

Thanks Again,

HC

Nice food and everything, but your lovely caipirinha photo is the best! It has me running off to make my own tonight...

Thanks viva! Coming from you, a frequent visitor to Brasil, that means a lot.

Abraços! :rolleyes:

Portland Food Map.com

You may have accomplished the near-impossible. You have made the idea of visiting my relatives look appealing. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Oh.

My.

Gawd! :laugh:

When my mom stayed at the camp in mid-august, we kept the stress to a minimum by, constantly talking about, shopping for or preparing food! I recommend it! :rolleyes:

Portland Food Map.com

jhonnyd,

A compelling chronicle, sir. Thanks so much for those great photos, varitey of subjects and dishes. It is all I can do to keep to my resolution to not burn a single drop of gasoline over this long weekend. In other times I would have headed off toward the ocean in search of some seafood to cook, so inspired am I with this blog.

Thanks Again,

HC

It's my pleasure HC. Come up when the gas frenzy subsides. We'll do a chowder crawl. That goes for the lot of you, by the way! :smile:

Portland Food Map.com

How are the winters?

Good if you like winter. Bad if you don't. This is a Golf Course on Cape Elizabeth last January.

I remember a cup of hot cocoa tasting particularly good in Maine one December a few years ago.

Thanks, JohnnyD. For some reason I'm thinking that maybe there's still time for a trip to Maine before everything closes for the season.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

So for me, there is no such thing as too much seafood... well, we are having a beef stir-fry this evening, but my freezer is packed with a quart of chowder, a quart of mussels/squid/cod cataplana, a quart of lobster stock, a quart of maine shrimp-shell stock, not to mention four quarts each of chicken stock and feijoada!  :raz:

Coming up here anytime soon?

I wish I could!

I haven't spent time in Maine for some 34 years (though I drove -- or, rather, rode -- through a corner of it in the summer of 1996)! It's been too long for sure.

Michael aka "Pan"