• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Meurice or Bristol

jml3

I have the opportunity on an upcoming trip to Paris to have a Saturday dinner at either Le Meurice or Le Bristol. I'd appreciate suggestions of how I make that choice, realizing that both are expensive and very good.

I just ate at the Bristol and it was one of the best meals of my life. I will post pictures later when I have better bandwidth. Eric Frechon is AMAZING!!!!!! His second in command Franck Leroy is superb and the Directeur du Restaurant Raphael Courant an incredibly gracious host. I do not have the name of his pastry chef but he has his own cookbook also and is incredibly talented. I was treated to a lesson in the kitchen the following day and I thought that so gracious. You will not be disappointed at Le Bristol, I promise-in fact you may never be the same.

I have also heard nothing but good about the cuisine of Yannick Alleno at the Meurice.

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

I have dined serveral times at Le Bristol. It is very classical in style with very classical cooking. Le Meurice I have not been to, but write up I have read seem to place it a bit more experimental in the food. People tend to either love or hate it.

So I would say the safe bet is Le Bristol, while Le Meurice is throwing the dice, you could win big, you could lose. Hope that helps give you parameters for you personal decision.

I have dined serveral times at Le Bristol. It is very classical in style with very classical cooking. Le Meurice I have not been to, but write up I have read seem to place it a bit more experimental in the food. People tend to either love or hate it.

So I would say the safe bet is Le Bristol, while Le Meurice is throwing the dice, you could win big, you could lose.  Hope that helps give you parameters for you personal decision.

Both are very good but I agree that le bristol is safer .Another factor also is consistency and i have found le bristol more consistent.The wine list is also more reasonable and the space is beautiful but less formal.

I wish everyone had this dilemna of a choice.

Here is a little glimpse of what Eric Frechon is bringing to the table. I can not post more because my connection is so slow.

gallery_30892_1667_78781.jpg

Amuse Bouche

gallery_30892_1667_52692.jpg

Bresse Pigeon Carved Tableside

gallery_30892_1667_96929.jpg

How about a little dessert-"Raspberries and Strawberries"

gallery_30892_1667_63236.jpg

I understand what the other posts mean by a "safe bet", but I can not use that verbage. Eric Frechon!!!!!!

I love the little cotton candy you get when you order the "variations" of some flavor dessert. Have had both the strawberry you show and pineapple.

Regarding wine, Le Bristol will soon have one of the best cellars in France. Head Sommelier Jerome Moreau is one of France's best and was at Lucas Carton for many years where he developed an expertise in matching food/wine and lots of important contacts in Burgundy and even lesser known areas of France like Condrieau and Languedoc. Unfortunately he does not work on Saturdays, but he staff is very well trained, so do ask them to suggest something a little different. They can usually offer several wines by the glass as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I ate at the Bristol last year and was completely blown away. The setting, service and above all the food were magnificent. It definitely ranks as one of the great meals of my life. Raphael was exceedingly gracious, and we were given a tour of the kitchen and summer garden, plus a souvenir book about the history of the hotel. Every aspect of the dinner from start to finish was perfect.

Mark

Had the tasting menu at Meurice earlier this year and it was so-so. Generic Random Posh; nothing really stood out although the truffle baba was nice.

Having said this generally given the choice between the steady *** and the aspiring ** the latter is generally to be preferred, as the kitchen is more likely to be hungry to advance rather than resting on its laurels.

cheers

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Molto, if you couuld post another few pics, it would be much appreciated.

gallery_30892_1667_283004.jpg

Mystery picture? Answer revealed tomorrow, just back from Europe and my post on Le Bristol deserves a clear head. This meal still with me and I hope it shall be with me until I dine there again. I do have one knock against this meal at all.

Molto E

Molto, if you couuld post another few pics, it would be much appreciated.

gallery_30892_1667_283004.jpg

Mystery picture? Answer revealed tomorrow, just back from Europe and my post on Le Bristol deserves a clear head. This meal still with me and I hope it shall be with me until I dine there again. I do have one knock against this meal at all.

Molto E

molto e, Is this the spectacular Poulet de Bresse en Vessie? My wife and I shared this at Le Bristol not too long after he left his own marvelous little restaurant to return to palatial surroundings. It still rates as our all time favorite chicken dish.

Just to keep things clear both Le Bristol and Le Meurice are ** aspiring to become ***. It is just that they are aspiring in different manners, classical vs modern, as far as I can tell.

Yes you are quite right

Had the Bristol confused with the Georges V

That picture definitely looks like a poulet en vessie (demi-deuil?)

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!