• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taking a look at restaurants in my area..

Spinner

Disclaimer: I work in East Rutherford and I cook in East Rutherford. My opinions will be directed towards establishments in the area. I hold no bias in any way..toward any of the establishments that I "compete" with.

So, I cant eat a darn thing I cook. Im sure someone can relate to this. I cook/bake all day and when it comes down to it, I dont want to have to cook for myself.

So, I tend to eat out..a LOT!

Over the past 2 weeks, I've been doing a lot of traveling to different places within my area and I figured I'd give you my thoughts..and you may or may not care :) I am going to group by the type of food I was eating: (drumroll)

Japanese:

Sushi Boy (Garfield) : You look at the place and you have to wonder what you are in for. And what you are in for is good..good..good. The chef is there all day and usually works by himself (sometimes his wife is there). The menu isnt that varied but what is on the menu is always good, fresh and excellently prepared. I go there all of the time (I live a block away so it makes sense) and I love it. Stay away from the spicy stuff and stick to sashimi, sushi and the Udon soups.

Akasaka (Wallington) : The location is cursed. It was Sushi Tokyo..it was a bar..it was something else and now it is Akasaka. The service leaves something to be desired BUT the man behind the bar is so skilled it is scary. He prepares a lot of things that you would normally associate with a higher-end NYC spot and he does it just as well. They have a Tuna Tartar dish which is just sublime and the tako is out of this world.

Italian:

Sal Anthony's (Carlstadt) : This place is about approachable and tasty food. I ate there this evening actually and once again, I was impressed. Started with the Brodo..absolutely outstanding. The taste tells you that a LOT of work went into making this dish..hearty, balanced and rich. Went with the Risotto with sausage, red and green peppers and pancetta special as the entree. Very, very good. The whole dish was balanced and the pepper's sweetness offset the richness that the sausage brought to the table. Nice job. I love this place.

Everything else:

Mignon : The Strip Steak I had was crap. And then I went again, and it was the same crap again. I dont understand it..Ive had other meals here and they were good..way better than Taos and Village Gourmet. Overall, Ive had 4 meals at Mignon and 2 were good..but the last 2 sucked. Sorry.

Taos : You know, a menu is there for a reason. It lets people know what they can order. Now, I understand that you dont have 1 or 2 things. BOH messed something up..couldnt get the goods to make something. Fine. But..7 dishes? What in the name of all that is holy is that? Plus..5 of them were apps. Wow thanks for the selections. Had the Raw Bar sampler thing which was ok...some of the shellfish was dried out a bit. Actually..rubber with some more rubber on top is what I would say I got.

I left after that..I can understand paying for the ambience but I want to have something I can actually eat as well. Thanks Bobby!

Spring Grill (Rutherford) : Thai fusion place right off Park Ave.

Nice looking place. Started with the Vietnamese Summer Roll which was shrimp, lettuce, mint and chives in rice paper with a peanut sauce with tamarind. GOOD. The rolling of this has been well thought out because the mint was placed toward the back of the roll which meant it came out at the end to highlight the other flavors. Ive been here many times and it is done the same way each time..and it is a great idea. The punch of the mint really comes out as you chew and helps to bind the flavors in your mouth.

Went to the Tiger Shrimp with Clear Noodle next. Not as hot as I hoped it would be. The menu mentions soy and ginger as components in this but I didnt taste either of those things. Funny thing is..I got a ton of shrimp and they didnt taste like shrimp. They tasted like mushrooms. I know this is also a component of the dish but it just wasnt right.

I also went to a coffee spot but I cant say where because I work at a coffee spot and that's not nice :)

After doing all of this, I began to notice a few things. One, as I went around to the places I dont normally go to, I saw a few faces that I knew. As I pondered where I knew these faces from..I realized that I knew them from coming to my place of work. If you are going to read my menu for 30 minutes..at least "try" to be slick about it.

Well that's it. Next week, Cafe Matisse, Village Gourmet (where I got engaged), Tina Louise, Julia's, and Washington Park Tavern.

Bye!

I also went to a coffee spot but I cant say where because I work at a coffee spot and that's not nice :)

If it was in Rutherford then it might be Cafe Eros. I like the nice young guy who owns/runs the business and they always had some friendly and attractive young servers when I lived in Rutherford. But on my many visits there the coffee was acceptable not great and the espresso drinks were mediocre. The Greek desserts (baklava etc) appear to be homemade and are very, very good but I was unimpressed by the cakes etc. Not sure who their supplier is but it all had that frozen and thawed Sysco vibe to me. And overpriced to boot.

Have you tried Corrado's down on the circle for Italian? Always meant to try them and never got there. I did eat at Paisano's (Park Ave next to the library) on multiple occasions and found it to be consistent and enjoyable but not inventive or inspiring.

Glad you have a fond event to remember from the Village Gourmet but I just never had a good meal there on my three visits. Far from it. It was really pretty bad. I mean - how can you screw up a simple hamburger? They did it. The meat was sort of soggy and lacking in beefy flavor - weird texture and just not right.

Had several very good meals and one that was average at the Italian place on Ridge Road in Lyndhurst - it's just past Rte 3 heading south right where you enter the borough - just past the Enterprise car rental on the corner (katty korner from Sadowski's Shell station). Can't recall the name.

If you're in the mood for huge portions and enjoy Brazilian/Portuguese food consider giving Teros a whirl. Also on Ridge Road - across from the cemetery - on the left just past New York Ave. Some of the waitresses speak very little English but the food is very reasonable in price and quite fresh. I found it to be as good as most of the places in Ironbound but much easier to get to (it was only a mile form my apartment)

Great thread for those of us in the area, Spinner! :wink: Proof once again that we need to venture a bit further for a great meal, though...

One that you might want to add to your list is Fortunato in Lyndhurst; I haven't been there yet, but judging from some of the reports, I'm going to have to give it a try!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I haven't been there, but, a friend of mine was just at The Reserve Restaurant, located at 71 Union Avenue in East Rutherford and she said the food was very good.

I would definitely second Teros 224 Ridge Rd. Lyndhurst . It is a great spanish restaurant.

I've had a couple of really good meals at Vivo Italian restaurant at 316 Valley Brook Ave - (201) 372-0300.

Glad you have a fond event to remember from the Village Gourmet but I just never had a good meal there on my three visits. Far from it. It was really pretty bad. I mean - how can you screw up a simple hamburger? They did it. The meat was sort of soggy and lacking in beefy flavor - weird texture and just not right.

I have never had a good meal there..so we are in the same boat. My situation was more of a "go wherever and dont mess this up" kind of thing. Funny enough, I had a burger when I was there and it pretty much was the same way you eluded to. I mean..seriously..it was like a wet sponge soaked in stale beef juice.

Great thread for those of us in the area, Spinner!  Proof once again that we need to venture a bit further for a great meal, though...

One that you might want to add to your list is Fortunato in Lyndhurst; I haven't been there yet, but judging from some of the reports, I'm going to have to give it a try!

I have heard things..good things. I will be going there as soon as my non-existent paycheck allows me to do so :)

I got off early today for my break..went to Restaurant Depot and I suddenly realized that I was in close distance of Hackensack (well South Hackensack is broken into like 90 different parts so who knows) and I remembered that I hadnt been to Wondee's in a long time. Remembering a recent article in the Record, I ventured toward it with drooling anticipation.

Traveling toward my destination..I heard a pop followed by a rumbling followed by a flat tire and thus..my day was ruined. DAMN IT. It is as if the gloom and depression that is my Restaurant Depot experience caught up with me and kicked me in the groin.

Dinner was my usual trainwreck..Jersey Tomato halved, rubbed with garlic and olive oil and pan seared followed by a Creme Brulee and a Flavorsplash.

Edited by Spinner (log)

Akasaka (Wallington) : The location is cursed. It was Sushi Tokyo..it was a bar..it was something else and now it is Akasaka. The service leaves something to be desired BUT the man behind the bar is so skilled it is scary. He prepares a lot of things that you would normally associate with a higher-end NYC spot and he does it just as well. They have a Tuna Tartar dish which is just sublime and the tako is out of this world.

There used to be an excellent sushi joint in Fort Lee called Akasaka. Next time you're there, could you ask them if they used to be in Fort Lee? I'd be curious to try their new locaiton if it's the same people. Thanks. (If it is the same sushi guy behind the bar, see if he has fugu-fin sake available.)

Dinner was my usual trainwreck..Jersey Tomato halved, rubbed with garlic and olive oil and pan seared followed by a Creme Brulee and a Flavorsplash.

That's called a balanced meal in my house :rolleyes:

Just curious - are there any really good Polish restaurants in Wallington?

I also had a couple of decent meals at Vivo, but the smoking in the restaurant would stop me from returning. It was oppressive, and only two tables in the place, but the space has no ventilation. Shame. I like Paisanos in Rutherford. Decent Italian. Mr. Bruno's for pizza...great sicilian. Village Gourmet is dog food. Mediocre Italian abounds. Thought Tero was okay. Not great, but decent. I don't know...aside from Cafe Matisse which I haven't tried, the rest around here are okay..not great. Sadly. Went by Asakara last night on Spinner's rec, and there was not a soul in there. I worry with a Sushi place if there is not a high turnover. We did not stay. Park & Orchard...diner food...same thing. Oh for a good restaurant that is affordable in this area...the lines would be out the door.

is it just me??? i like the village gourmet. i usually get the chicken with the hot pepper house sauce on it. once in a while they have this special of penne with chicken, spinach, onions, peppers, with a light balsamic / chicken broth sauce. it's soo good.

phaelon56 - Yes, we tried a Polish restaurant in Wallington last year and the food was really good. The name of it is Krakus Restaurant, 208 Main Ave, Wallington (973) 779-1922. Everything was delicious. Portions were not very large, but, we ordered the Polish platter (which is an entree) as an appetizer. I would highly recommend the goulash with the potato pancake. Just don't order the roast loin of pork - was small in size and nothing to rave about.

Here is a link to a google search with the map and there's a post from someone else about eating there - you son't have to just take my word on it. Krakus

jwjojo - haven't had that smoke experience at Vivo. I don't recall many people smoking the couple of times that I was there.

On Spinners rec went to Sal Anthony's which I had never heard of. It is a little Italian Restaurant in Carlstadt in what looks to be a renovated home? Two little dining areas with 4/5 tables each. Spaced out okay, but a little cramped. He is expanding. Sal came out and said hello to all the tables :) Okay...okay...the food. Spinner is right...good to very good. I had Chicken Sal Anthony. Chicken breast with capers and olives in a wine lemon sauce. It was very tasty. Tom had chic parm..his fav...and he really enjoyed it..which is a miracle. He is sooo pickey about his Parm. The red sauce is really good here. They have a pastry chef on staff, but we skipped dessert. It is byo. Service is acceptable...not good/bad. Nice enough. We will return.

is it just me??? i like the village gourmet. i usually get the chicken with the hot pepper house sauce on it. once in a while they have this special of penne with chicken, spinach, onions, peppers, with a light balsamic / chicken broth sauce. it's soo good.

Not just you - it's busy most evenigns and must get repeat business but I ate there three times and had mediocre meals every time. I had a GF who generally just wanted to eat steamed veggies and rice for dinner more often than not. She really liked it there because they coild accomodate that but I was unimpressed - even by the quality of the rice.

But she swears they have the best carrot cake in the area (I didn't try it and can't confirm).