• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato salad: eggsalent with or without eggs?

If there's egg in potato salad, why aren't potatoes in egg salad?

Another pragmatist joins the food fray ... :laugh:

And why isn't there a dead Roman in a Caesar Salad?

Seriously, though, I don't think there is a standard for a quintessential southern potato salad. This is a dish that the South really can't claim, either, and that's saying something coming from me. Nevertheless, the Southern version of potato salad typically served in barbecue restaurants is fairly bland without any hard boiled eggs.

I actually like the eggs, but they're not essential, either.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hey! Don't poo-poo the milk!

When my mom makes potato salad, she mixes the binding "goop" separately which consists of mustard, Miracle Whip (or Mayo, if you're so inclined) and milk to thin it out. She adjusts the amounts added until it tastes right and then adds it to the bowl full of potato salad ingredients.

By the way, the same "goop" is what she uses to mix with the crumbled egg yolks for her deviled eggs.

Besides, it's only a splash of milk (it's a 1/4 cup in the recipe you linked to).

No harm. No foul. :wink:

Oh, and don't forget the celery seed in the potato salad (right, fifi?).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Actually, the discussion goes further than that.  It's not just potato salad we're talking here.  What's at stake is what makes up the traditional Southern potato salad?  Does Southern potato salad have eggs in it or not?

Dave the cook says yes.  Mayhaw Man says no.

I grew up in Virginia, and I grew up having eggs in my potato salad. And Pickle relish.

Hmmm. I am on the fence. I like potato salad with eggs. I like potato salad without eggs. If it's going with a big hunk of protein, I'd just as soon leave out the eggs. If it's accompanying a lighter main dish, I would put them in.

But I wouldn't sneeze at either version.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I just want GG to know that because of this thread, I'm currently experiencing a hard boiled egg addiction. I made two last night and now I want more for lunch today.

I've made potato salad with and without eggs, but mostly without. Then again, I do tend to throw bacon and or garlic sausage in mine sometimes. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Depends on what the potato salad will accompany. Generally, no egg. Mayo (or remoulade with capers and cornichon) if served cold, vinaigrette if served warm. We brook no debate on these points.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I just want GG to know that because of this thread, I'm currently experiencing a hard boiled egg addiction.  I made two last night and now I want more for lunch today.

I've made potato salad with and without eggs, but mostly without.  Then again, I do tend to throw bacon and or garlic sausage in mine sometimes. :biggrin:

Me as well. I had an egg salad sandwich for lunch.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I just want GG to know that because of this thread, I'm currently experiencing a hard boiled egg addiction.  I made two last night and now I want more for lunch today.

Me as well. I had an egg salad sandwich for lunch.

Did you put any potatoes in that egg salad?

I vote no eggs in my potato salad. Why ruin a perfectly composed dish of carbohydrates?

But very heavy on the onions (or scallions, the white parts), tons of fresh pepper, and I much prefer olive oil than the whole mayo route.

(Actually, I'll eat potato salad any way you serve it to me. :wub: )

An addiction like that requires some serious lashings of fresh veggies applied inbetween to avoid a tummy ache. :wink:

I believe egg in potato salad is optional, and I am not opposed to the addition of it. However mustard is MANDATORY.

MANDITORY? :shock: Not in my house it ain't! Mom's recipe was good enough for her and good enough for me. A bunch of thin skinned potatoes (depends on how many you're feeding) celery hearts, chopped not too small, big yellow onion ditto, Hellman's mayo, and sour cream, salt & pepper. Boil the scrubbed potatos to fork tenderness, cut into rough chunks when cool enough to handle, mix with onion and celery, stir in mayo and sour cream (start with less than you think you'll need) about 2:1 ratio and season with Kosher salt & fresh pepper. Refrigerate to blend flavors. Before serving you'll need to add more mayo & sour cream to replace what the potatoes absorbed. Stir in well but gently, so the chunks of potato don't break up. YUM! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

An addiction like that requires some serious lashings of fresh veggies applied inbetween to avoid a tummy ache. :wink:

What's a veggie? :raz:

Marlene

That's next week. Who can wait that long? Hard cooked eggs for lunch, freshly ground salt and pepper. Heaven.

Marlene

don't know about Southern potato salad but we do it two ways in our house:

if german style(potatoes, bacon, dill, salt and pepper, salad oil, vinegar, a pinch of sugar and grated red onion) no eggs

if homestyle(potatoes, salt and pepper, miracle whip, chopped spanish onion, peas) then yes eggs

i have been known to make small bowls of each - german for johnnybird, homestyle for me

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If there's egg in potato salad, why aren't potatoes in egg salad?

Another pragmatist joins the food fray ... :laugh:

And why isn't there a dead Roman in a Caesar Salad?

I thought Caesar Salad was loaded with Roman hearts?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm seeing all kinds of interesting potato salad recipes here. Might just have to give it a whirl. More potato salad is so sweet that I can't be bothered to eat it, much less notice whether it has egg. I'll just keep watching for ideas, here...

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown