• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Super-Rica (Santa Barbara)

Pan

This taqueria is legendary, and never deteriorates. When I go to Santa Barbara to visit my aunt, it's always the first place I want to go to, and it had been about five years since the last time, so I had been looking forward to going back for that entire time. I went there twice, for lunch and dinner, during my most recent stay in that beautiful medium-sized city, and was far from disappointed. Whether you've been to many, a few, or even no taquerias before, La Super-Rica will be a revelation to you. The food is truly outstanding, which is why people are willing to wait in long lines to order from the menu and specials on the chalkboard. Everything is made to order except the salsas you can help yourself to in the dining room, and those are also made in-house. The food is inexpensive, partly because the ownership as far as I can remember has never expanded or renovated the space or hired additional help for the small kitchen.

You can see here that La Super-Rica is the top-rated restaurant in Santa Barbara on Citysearch, higher rated than some extremely expensive places like Sage & Onion. Click on their entry for more information, but I'll note that the opening hours information is incorrect: They are open until 9:30 on weekends, 9:00 on weekdays. Those might be summer hours only, though, so if in doubt, call.

Michael aka "Pan"

This taqueria is legendary, and never deteriorates. When I go to Santa Barbara to visit my aunt, it's always the first place I want to go to, and it had been about five years since the last time, so I had been looking forward to going back for that entire time. I went there twice, for lunch and dinner, during my most recent stay in that beautiful medium-sized city, and was far from disappointed. Whether you've been to many, a few, or even no taquerias before, La Super-Rica will be a revelation to you. The food is truly outstanding, which is why people are willing to wait in long lines to order from the menu and specials on the chalkboard. Everything is made to order except the salsas you can help yourself to in the dining room, and those are also made in-house. The food is inexpensive, partly because the ownership as far as I can remember has never expanded or renovated the space or hired additional help for the small kitchen.

You can see here that La Super-Rica is the top-rated restaurant in Santa Barbara on Citysearch, higher rated than some extremely expensive places like Sage & Onion. Click on their entry for more information, but I'll note that the opening hours information is incorrect: They are open until 9:30 on weekends, 9:00 on weekdays. Those might be summer hours only, though, so if in doubt, call.

I second every word. Phenomenal tacqueria worth travelling to no matter the distance.

i've heard this complaint too, and, frankly, my response is the same as pan's. i guess if you're comparing it to: a) the normal southern california taco stand menu, or b) someplace fancier, it could be a let-down ... maybe. but it does what it does perfectly and in a setting and price-point that is absolutely appropriate. i'll sometimes take an extra 2 hours driving north to go up the 101 rather than the 5 so i can stop for lunch (leave long beach at 8:30 and i'm almost always in SB by 11:30 or so, depending on the 405).

• 2 weeks later...

I went to La Super Rica with five other people, and together we ordered about twenty different things :biggrin: It was by far the best Mexican food I've ever had. One dish in particular, a tortilla with cheese and tons of roasted green peppers, was amazing. The line may be long, but everyone's so excited about the food that no one really cares; all anyone was talking about was what they were planning on ordering.

I went to La Super Rica with five other people, and together we ordered about twenty different things  :biggrin: It was by far the best Mexican food I've ever had. One dish in particular, a tortilla with cheese and tons of roasted green peppers, was amazing. The line may be long, but everyone's so excited about the food that no one really cares; all anyone was talking about was what they were planning on ordering.

la super rica rocks. the great thing about it is they have different things than most taquerias. yeah, the tortilla with the cheese and peppers is awesome. never had anything else like it.

the salsas are all really good, too.

i've been there three times, and twice seen rob lowe there...looking like he goes there to cure hangovers. not pretty!

I just went last weekend, for the first time, after reading about it in both the NYT and Sunset magazine. Every last bite lived up to the hype, from the pasilla pepper and cheese tacos mentioned earlier to the crispy chilaquiles served like nachos with a roasted tomato sauce, to the guacamole. It was, for me, the best Mexican meal I've ever had.

Ahhhhhh Super-Rica! I have been eating there since 1988 and must say it has never, ever disappointed. I was lucky enough to live in SB for 8 years and in that time ate there perhaps 300-500 times. Now , much like Russ I will take the 101 home from No Cal so as to stop in SB fro some super rica. And the line always moves fast and I alwys find a seat what I do hate however is the friggin traffic! What has happened? It takes 1 hour to go from SB to the Rincon on a sunday evening. But I digress. If you have the chance to go more than once you will see different specials on different days. The Sopes are amazing as are the chiliquiles. Other than that I am a die hard #6 ( chorizo tacos) #10 ( onion, peppers sauted taco) #16 eater ( la super rica especial, pablanos, marinated pork , cheese over tortillia) plus 6 -8 extra totillias. Ok enough of this Im going to SB next weekend for some food.

Edited by dfunghi (log)

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

• 4 months later...

Yesterday, I took a day trip to Santa Barbara on the train. And where did I go for lunch? You guessed it: La Super-Rica!

gallery_24802_2502_36015.jpg

As you can see, there's a line out the door already. Mind you, it moves along at a good pace.

gallery_24802_2502_77968.jpg

Once inside, you order from the menu on the blackboard, along with a few daily specials. The woman in the kitchen is making the tortillas.

gallery_24802_2502_84748.jpg

From top-right, I ordered tacos de cabalacita (daily special), tacos de costilla (#2), guacamole (#18), gordita de frijol (#20), and horchata.

gallery_24802_2502_75382.jpg

The gordita de frijol was an above-medium spicy dish. When I ordered it, the man said it was spicy. I replied, “No problem!” Yes, it was quite spicy, but not that bad.

The tacos de cabalacita was quite messy. The tacos de costilla was good, as usual, as well as the guacamole. I liked their horchata. It was nice & sweet, with a good balance between the cinammon & the milk. Not watery. Not all horchatas are created equal.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Open daily 11am-9pm. I was there on Thursday and it was packed with a queue out of the door but that was around 1.30pm. I was told at my hotel that its less busy between lunch and dinner times as you might expect but I didn't pass by in the afternoon so I can't confirm that. Even at peak time, the queue moved very swiftly and the food arrived quickly so it wasn't really a problem.