• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxford restaurants

I'm looking for an interesting, good, unusual place to have dinner in Oxford at the weekend. I don't want to go to Le Manoir, even if I had time to book. Does anyone know of a good one, or is it hopeless?

If you are prepared to drive into Gloucestershire, there's lots of us who would welcome you!

No really, how far out of Oxford do you want to drive?

Edited by erica graham (log)

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Lucy

I agree. Adam is your man- he helped me enormously when I was organisisng a stag do about three years back. You can find the thread by searching for Oxford - Food and Drink. I would do a link to it but my PC won't let paste a link from another EG thread at the moment. As I say- it's three years old but there may be something that helps.

Edited by Bapi (log)

Thanks for the invite Erica! but, sadly, i won't have time to really leave the city much...

Well inside the city my favourite is the Lebanese Al Shami- it's very basic but friendly, and we always really enjoy the meze - can't say we ever have a main course!

Its off Walton Street opposite the synagogue!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is too late now for this particular visit (we only just got back from France) but for future reference you can get a very good meal at the Mole Inn which is in Toot Baldon, about 5 miles from Oxford.

The food is excellent here (it received a "Bib Gourmand" from Michelin this year) and I would say that it is well worth a visit. The only thing to watch is that all courses come in generous portions so you may need to be careful with the early courses if you want a desert!

The website has what looks to be fairly up to date menus for anyone who may want to go. Ideally you should book in advance as it can be very busy.

• 1 year later...

Anything new on this subject? We're going to be in Oxford in January and need to take some friends out to dinner. We'd very much prefer to stay in town. What's Fisher's like? How's Brasserie Blanc now that it is owned by the Loch Fyne chain - i.e., has it improved under new ownership? Has anything of note opened? The menu at the funny Malmaison hotel in the ex-prison seems, at least, coherent - has anybody been?

Thanks.

Anything new on this subject? We're going to be in Oxford in January and need to take some friends out to dinner. We'd very much prefer to stay in town. What's Fisher's like? How's Brasserie Blanc now that it is owned by the Loch Fyne chain - i.e., has it improved under new ownership? Has anything of note opened? The menu at the funny Malmaison hotel in the ex-prison seems, at least, coherent - has anybody been?

Thanks.

In the twon centre, my choices would be:

i) Chiang Mai, a good Thai restaurant near Carfax

ii) Cafe Coco's, just over Magdalen Bridge, for a slightly superior Pizza Express-style experience.

Quod wasn't bad when I was there last - but that was over a year ago, and it was a bit boring: I felt I could have been eating the same thing at any number of so-so places in London, which for some reason I don't feel at Chiang Mai or Cafe Coco.

My sister attended Oxford for a number of years doing her PhD and swears that an Indian place called Saffron is the best indian restaurant she's ever been to, as does her boyfriend (she claims it is better than Benares or Chutney MAry, though i cannot comment)

I went to visit her a few times and found there to be quite a dearth of good food to eat in the city center.