• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cordoba

pedalaforte

We will be visiting Cordoba early next year for about 10 days. We will have a car. I've done a search here, but I'm confused so far by the geography; that is, I don't know the small towns in the area.

So, please, can anyone make restaurant (and other) recommendations for places in the area? Certainly we are interested in the big-budget places, but we are especially interested in the lower-key, more-local eateries. Please recommend dishes too. I have a lot of research to do before we go.

Thank you for the help.

Ciao

The best shape restaurant in Cordoba nowadays with innovative dishes based on andalusian tradition seems to be Bodegas Campos. Other good place is El Churrasco, with good meats and the traditional salmorejo (a thick gazpacho)

For low budget eating La Taberna de Juan Peña (957200702), a typical andalusian bar, is a good option, go for the salmorejo and fried aubergines. As well as Taberna La Lechuga (Tomás Conde, 12). where apart from salmorejo they have wonderful lamb's trotters.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

• 1 year later...

Choco is a little restaurant which is not in the old town center: Compositor Serrano Lucena 14, Tel. 957 264 863 Family running, but not at all traditional.

Also out of the usual tourist paths, Astoria Casa Matías (El Nogal 16, Tel. 957 277 653), interesting for their rices and other guisos

In the town center, apart from Bodegas Campos, I like Casa Pepe de la Judería (Romero 1, Tel. 957 200 744), but prefer to stay in the lower part, where you can eat through 'raciones', than going upwards and having a formal meal. Their traditional dishes are, IMO, more interesting than their more sophisticated ones.

Choco is a little restaurant which is not in the old town center: Compositor Serrano Lucena 14, Tel.  957 264 863 Family running, but not at all traditional.

Also out of the usual tourist paths, Astoria Casa Matías (El Nogal 16, Tel.  957 277 653), interesting for their rices and other guisos

In the town center, apart from Bodegas Campos, I like Casa Pepe de la Judería (Romero 1, Tel.  957 200 744), but prefer to stay in the lower part, where you can eat through 'raciones', than going upwards and having a formal meal. Their traditional dishes are, IMO, more interesting than their more sophisticated ones.

Thanks so much, Jesus. I was reading about Choco and its chef (who was lauded at the last Madrid Fusion, I believe), I'll save it for a trip when I don't have my five-year-old son in tow. I was also considering Casa Pepe--I think I'll have lunch at Bodegas Campos one day and at Casa Pepe the next. Any raciones in particular that we shouldn't miss?

Very fast, if I may:

Monosabios and ox-tail in Casa Pepe. Salmorejo and Mazamorra, interesting but not great.

In Bodegas Campos, ajoblanco and ox-tail, as well as carrilleras of ibérico pork, but also other dishes that I cannot recall now. Desserts not particularly good.

Enjoy your trip!

In October I ate at Caballo Roja (in most tourist books) and was both surprised and elated. I'd expected 'tourist food' and found a creative menu, and good service. The chef seemed to actually be trying. Trying to find my notes. If I can I'll post later, but it's right in the heart and well-signed (and the menu is posted outside).

Other good place is El Churrasco, with good meats and the traditional salmorejo (a thick gazpacho)

We ate at El Churrasco earlier this year. I found the meal to be just ok. We ordered the salmorejo and, after eating it, noticed that all the Spaniards in the room had ordered it with what looked like fried potatoes. Wish I had known that before I ordered, as I think it would have been tastier.

Salmorejo from El Churrasco

gallery_10136_2514_172085.jpg

Other good place is El Churrasco, with good meats and the traditional salmorejo (a thick gazpacho)

We ate at El Churrasco earlier this year. I found the meal to be just ok. We ordered the salmorejo and, after eating it, noticed that all the Spaniards in the room had ordered it with what looked like fried potatoes. Wish I had known that before I ordered, as I think it would have been tastier.

That was not fried potatoes but deep fried aubergines another traditional Cordoba dish.

Edited by Rogelio (log)
Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Back from Córdoba... Thanks so much for the suggestions.

We really enjoyed Bodegas Campos. Given my limited experiences with the two restaurants, I would give it the edge over El Churrasco for food and atmosphere--especially the ajoblanco and oxtails. These are two favorites of mine and these were among the best renditions that I have had. I also enjoyed the bacalao and orange salad, but the ajoblanco was really something special (How do they achieve that perfectly creamy consistency?). The service was a bit off, but there seemed to be a wedding reception on top of the crazy puente/holiday rush.

We also stood at the bar at Casa Pepe de la Judería and had monosabios (fried cod) and berenjena (eggplant)--fried food at its best--very light and crispy.

For those visiting Córdoba in the near (or not so near?) future--the roman bridge is undergoing major (major!) restoration, so the area around the Guadalquivir is fairly inaccessible and a bit of a mess at the moment. Just can't seem to escape the obras, no matter where we go...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...