• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pocky (and Pocky-like snacks)

stefanyb

Pocky discussion on that other thread has now been moved here.

Lets give Pocky its due!  Its convenient, it doesn't dirty your hands and its crunchy and chocolatey (some are anyway). What flavors would you like to see?

Well Pocky peripherally has something to do with Nazis, because it was developed by the Japanese, who were once allies of the Nazis--thus its inclusion in that thread.  (okay, in cases someone reads this without reading the other thread [and please don't... its an embarassment, that thread], this is not intended as an anti-japanese statement)

But in fact, its a cookie in the form of a stick, with the top half of the stick covered in something yummy.  Pocky vending machines and Pocky flavors are all worth discussing, and perhaps if we have someone on the board of Japanese ancestry they might have consumed more Pocky than us.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Well Pocky peripherally has something to do with Nazis, because it was developed by the Japanese, who were once allies of the Nazis--thus its inclusion in that thread.

Whats this, like- six degrees of Kevin Bacon?  Or more appropriately, 425 degrees of Canadian Bacon( the egullet version)

I guarantee that, given a chance, we could connect absolutely anything to Nazis and if not Nazis, certainly ABalic.

Getting back to Pocky, someone should Google Pocky and report back.

Perhaps an assignment.  Everyone should try to head to a Korean or Japanese run store (the two best sources of Pocky in the U.S., at least) and pick up the most bizarre form of Pocky they can find.  In Northern NJ I know a very good source of Pocky is Han Ah Reum Korean supermarkets.  In NY... I don't know... I haven't tried Pocky shopping there.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've seen Pocky in the markets in Sunset Park...mostly Pocky for Men - what's up with that?

Dunno.  Does it say something about Japanese cultural values we should know?

Google is amazing.  Looking for an answer to why Pocky for Men exists it found a women's jewelry site.  :biggrin:  The whole page is interesting reading (click here to go there), but I like her quote on Men's Pocky, reproduced here because it's short and to the point:

Wanna know what the box says on the "Men's Pocky?" "Crispy pretzel dipped in dark chocolate for the type of person who enjoys the finer points in life." Read: "Yes, the penis really is a consolation prize, and we made you a special 'Men's Pocky' so that you don't feel left out." 398 kcals per box (2 packs). The Men's Pocky actually has a higher cocoa content, so this one has the best chocolate taste; this is my Chocolate Pocky of choice, and the packagaing is funny if you think about how pathetic it is.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Then there's the timely tribute from the Greatful Dead (Recently covered by String Cheese Incident)

Hey Pocky Way

Little bitty boy, with a heart of steel

You can't boogie now, but your sister sure will

Feel good music in your soul

Makes your body wanna rock 'n' roll

Makes you wanna rock and roll

Hey, hey, hey, hey

Hey, Pocky Way

Hey, Pocky Way

Laugh back grooving in your car

Makes no difference who or where you are

Makes your body wanna rock 'n' roll

Hey, hey, hey, hey

Hey, Pocky Way

Hey, Pocky Way

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

POCKY VENDING MACHINES?!?  Where in the world are there Pocky vending machines?  Now that I've calmed down, I assume it's in Japan, where vending machines are very popular, I've heard.  Do the machines dispense whole boxes, or packets like those inside the boxes?

Almond Crush is my favorite too.  I keep meaning to use it as a garnish in some flavor of ice cream to make an elegant dessert for guests.

Uwajimaya in Seattle (also in Beaverton, Oregon) is an excellent source for Pocky.  In New York, they sell several flavors at the Kam Kuo grocery in Chinatown.

I will never eat Pocky for Men because when I see the package I feel certain that it is flavored like Old Spice aftershave cologne.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 2 weeks later...

We went nuts at Mitsuwa in Edgewater NJ and at Han Ah Reum in Ridgefield NJ over the last week and bought 33 varieties of Pocky and Pocky-like products. Look for our tasting notes in a new thread soon.

We ran into one of Jason's co-workers (he works at a large Japanese corporation) at Mitsuwa and he thought we were crazy when he saw all the Pocky we were buying, "that's the most Pocky I have ever seen anyone buy in my entire life!" Jason's boss loves cookies of all kinds, and is known by the HR dept as the Cookie Monster (he goes there looking for cookies everyday). When he heard Jason had bought all this Pocky his eyes lit up, like a little boy, as if lifes pressures on this powerful Japanese executive were gone for but a fleeting moment. I'm sure he's hoping Jason'll bring some in to the office soon.

*These are relatively large downloads, if you don't have a high-speed internet connection and want smaller versions, go to the website: http://pocky.ne.jp, click the CM link and there are all the versions of the Pocky commercials.

‚æ‚è‘O‚̃o[ƒWƒ‡ƒ“‚Ì•û‚ÍA¶‚̃Šƒ“ƒNƒ{ƒ^ƒ“‚æ‚èÅV‚Ì‚à‚Ì‚ðƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒh‚µ‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B!!!

=Mark

‚æ‚è‘O‚̃o[ƒWƒ‡ƒ“‚Ì•û‚ÍA¶‚̃Šƒ“ƒNƒ{ƒ^ƒ“‚æ‚èÅV‚Ì‚à‚Ì‚ðƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒh‚µ‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B!!!

You mean eGullet isn't set up to handle Japanese?

=Mark

‚æ‚èeO‚̃o[ƒWƒöƒg‚Ì•û‚ÍA÷‚̃ŠƒgƒNƒ{ƒ^ƒg‚æ‚èÅV‚Ì‚à‚Ì‚ðƒ_ƒEƒgƒ[ƒh‚µ‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B!!!

ö‹C‚ւ̃RƒbƒN‚ª•¨‚ÌŒ¾‚¦‚È‚ë‚΂̂½‚ß‚Ì‚»‚̂悤‚È—v‹‚ð‚·‚é‚Ü‚¾‚±‚ƃ‰ƒNƒ_‚Ì”rŸ••¨‚Ì–³Ž‹‚ÌÏ‚Ýd‚Ë‚Ìmotherfucking ‚̂ǂ̃R[ƒh

pace A Bourdain

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

‚æ‚èeO‚̃o[ƒWƒöƒg‚Ì•û‚ÍA÷‚̃ŠƒgƒNƒ{ƒ^ƒg‚æ‚èÅV‚Ì‚à‚Ì‚ðƒ_ƒEƒgƒ[ƒh‚µ‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B!!!

ö‹C‚ւ̃RƒbƒN‚ª•¨‚ÌŒ¾‚¦‚È‚ë‚΂̂½‚ß‚Ì‚»‚̂悤‚È—v‹‚ð‚·‚é‚Ü‚¾‚±‚ƃ‰ƒNƒ_‚Ì”rŸ••¨‚Ì–³Ž‹‚ÌÏ‚Ýd‚Ë‚Ìmotherfucking ‚̂ǂ̃R[ƒh

pace A Bourdain

I guess not. But in the NY vs. SF thread, the kanji shows clearly.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I guess not. But in the NY vs. SF thread, the kanji shows clearly.

Guess I'll cancel the lessons. Of course one does not need to read Japanese to appreciate young girls eating Pocky in suggestive poses... :shock:

=Mark

As previously mentioned, click here, we purchased every variety of Pocky and Pocky-like products available at two of the largest Asian supermarkets in the NYC area:

- Mitsuwa, 595 River Rd, Edgewater, NJ, (201) 941-9113, Japanese

- Han Ah Reum, 321 Broad Ave, Ridgefield, NJ, (201) 943-9600, Korean

i7475.jpg

Click for full album on Imagestation

Over the next several days we (myself, Jason and sometimes Jon (jhlurie)) will be tasting them and giving you our opinions. We determined the best way to evaluate them is to taste "flights" :hmmm: of the various flavors. To save our tummies, we cut up one stick of each flavor so as not to have to eat a whole one of each.

*Our recommended varieties are marked with an asterisk.

Hope you enjoy our efforts! :biggrin:

Please note my "sometimes" status is because I think that the two of them are absolutely nuts. But it was a chance for some free Pocky. :wub:

By the way, what exactly IS a wub? I've just used one without knowing.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Strawberry

i7476.jpg

from left to right:

*Glico Mousse Pocky Strawberry - Mild strawberry flavor, creamy from the cocoa butter, good aftertaste, thick coating with tiny specks of dried strawberry

Meiji Fran Strawberry - Thickest coating, crunchier/airier cookie, tasted artificially flavored

*Glico Pocky Strawberry - Thin coating with larger bits of dried strawberry, tarter flavor, most visually impressive, biscuit was less sweet, good flavor

Glico Pocky Strawberry (for kids) - Very thin coating, OK flavor

Kabaya Hello Kitty Strawberry Pretzel - Very thin coating, very sweet, waxy feeling, not good

eGullet can handle Japanese just fine. The character sets have to be installed on your browser, though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

White (that's "White" in case you can't see the white print)

i7477.jpg

Glico Mousse Pocky White - Thick coating, OK cocoa butter flavor

Meiji Fran White - Thickest coating, barely OK, artificial aftertaste

*Color Magic - Unidentifiable Korean brand, pink box labeled "For Boy" :blink: Thin coating of white fudge with multicolor sugar sprinkles. Sweet cracker, surprisingly good. After the strawberry Hello Kitty, we expected all the ones marketed to kids to be awful, but these were great. Tasted like vanilla sugar cookies (even though no vanilla listed in translated ingredients).

The Color Magic also had the simplest and shortest ingredient list (8 ingredients vs. 13 for Fran and 19 for Glico Mousse). :smile: