• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pocky (and Pocky-like snacks)

stefanyb

Mmm, Corn Pretz.  I really have to stop before I eat the whole box.

After originally reading this thread a couple of months back, I grabbed a box of Roasted Corn Pretz to try it out. I was immediately hooked. Absolutely hooked. Fortunately, my husband and three-year-old son don't like them nearly as much as I do and are easily placated by Strawberry Mousse Pocky and Pocky G; hence, I don't have to share. Weeks passed and another craving for Roasted Corn Pretz hit. Two boxes worth, at least. Strolled down the aisle of my friendly neighbourhood Asian supermarket only to find that, horrors, they no longer stock Roasted Corn Pretz. Needless to say, I was devastated. Nothing worse than having a food craving denied. Now I'll have to go on a quest for Pretz... :sad:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new great stuff on a recent trip...

First off... Reverse Pocky.

gallery_18_68_1097079172.jpg

This is basically inverted Pocky--the "Cookie" is the outside and the inside is the frosting. Both the cookie and frosting are very "Pocky G"-ish in their taste.

Two other new ones for me (although not for the market, I think) are Apple and Cocoa flavored Pretz:

gallery_18_68_1097081049.jpggallery_18_68_1097081072.jpg

They're both great. The apple-flavor is kind of a cool cider taste, which isn't too overwhelming, while the cocoa is very subtle--not overly sweet.

The biggest surprise? The import label reveals that Sucralose is an ingedient in both Pretzes--although it's certainly not REPLACING Sugar, since that's in the list as well. It's actually a LOVELY list of things that are bad for you according to current conventional wisdom.

Apple Pretz Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Palm Oil, Sugar, Margarine, Apple Juice, Corn Syrup, Salt, Butter, Apple Puree, Lactose, Spice, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Monosodium Glutamate (aka "MSG"), Artificial Flavor, Baking Powder, Soya Lecthin, Sucralose, Citric Acid.

But still... yum! :raz:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

today I picked up

gallery_6134_184_1097200708.jpg

the one on the left kokuto (black sugar) brulee and on the right in Pocky G berry flavored.

The berry was was ok but I prefer the chocolate one, the kokuto brulee was gross, there was no taste of the "black" sugar and all I could taste was white chocolate... :blink:

I hate white chocolate.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Here is a recent acquistition:

gallery_2_4_1097207326.jpg

These are "sorbet" flavor Pocky-like snacks from Kabaya. I was releived that these were really good, compared to the Ume flavor Pretz-like things I tried from them recently, which are absolutely vile:

gallery_2_4_1097207273.jpg

The Sorbet ones really do taste like lemon and orange sorbets respectively, although the orange one is sort of Tang-like, and I mean that in a positive way.

BTW I agree with Jon that "Reverse" Pocky is a winner -- its hard to say if I like Pocky G any better, I may actually have a new favorite with Reverse.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Just came back from the store, I had to taste this Pocky reverse (and buy kimchi for dinner tonight), I got

gallery_6134_184_1097211467.jpg

the one on the left is the Pretz mentaiko (spicy cod roe) flavor

The reverse was really good, but i think I still like the regular Pocky G the best. The mentaiko was also quite good, I wish it had a little more flavor but it did have a good kick to it. Hide seems to love it and has run off with the rest of the box as well as my glass of water...

After originally reading this thread a couple of months back, I grabbed a box of Roasted Corn Pretz to try it out.  I was immediately hooked.  Absolutely hooked.  Fortunately, my husband and three-year-old son don't like them nearly as much as I do and are easily placated by Strawberry Mousse Pocky and Pocky G; hence, I don't have to share.  Weeks passed and another craving for Roasted Corn Pretz hit.  Two boxes worth, at least.  Strolled down the aisle of my friendly neighbourhood Asian supermarket only to find that, horrors, they no longer stock Roasted Corn Pretz.  Needless to say, I was devastated.  Nothing worse than having a food craving denied.  Now I'll have to go on a quest for Pretz...  :sad:

Yes, both Jon and I found out that the stocks of Corn Pretz at Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ were totally depleted as were many of the Pretz and Pocky flavors. I hope they stock up again. Soon.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My new favorite:

gallery_9138_54_1097445048.jpg

The package says, "Kyofu Stick Kuzumochi Sitat "Kabaya". The main flavor seems to be green tea with little sesame seeds as texture. Very smooth and delicate in flavor. Googled a bit and found that Kuzumochi is a type of cake - it is a bit cake like in flavor as well. My five year old thought it tasted "like donuts!". :laugh:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

wow! I have never seen that one before!!

I wouldn't really compare kuzumochi to cake, rather it is a mochi, a sticky rice cake made with kuzu starch, it is often topped with kuro-mitsu ("black" honey) and kinako (roasted soy bean powder).

I stumbled across this today at the japanese grocery store...

gallery_21598_191_1097302293.jpg

It's suppose to be limited edition :laugh:

I haven't tried it yet... but will report back when i do!  :wink:

Darn it!!! I was hestitant to mention these pumpkin flavored ones. We found them early in the summer and my son whose b'day was just on Friday loves Autumnal/ Halloween things. He loved them... probably because of the cute pumpkin... but we've had them available in NJ for awhile. I plan on going back to our local Asian mkt this week to stock up on such goodies. My kids are the only ones at school that even know what Pocky are :wub: . According to them, that makes them cool :cool: .

I wouldn't really compare kuzumochi to cake, rather it is a mochi, a sticky rice cake made with kuzu starch, it is often topped with kuro-mitsu ("black" honey) and kinako (roasted soy bean powder).

Ah - that makes sense. The "mochi" part should have clued me in a bit. The picture on the front shows the toppings you are describing, I just couldn't tell what exactly they were resting on top of. Is kuzumochi usually served with green tea? I'm wondering about that as an ingredient and coloring. Mostly just curious - I don't expect snack foods to necessarily make any sense. :raz:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Ah - that makes sense. The "mochi" part should have clued me in a bit. The picture on the front shows the toppings you are describing, I just couldn't tell what exactly they were resting on top of. Is kuzumochi usually served with green tea? I'm wondering about that as an ingredient and coloring. Mostly just curious - I don't expect snack foods to necessarily make any sense.  :raz:

It wouldn't be uncommon to serve kuzumochi with green tea.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw German pocky at the market the other week. Looks like they're getting into the craze. (I didn't get a chance to check out the flavor)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

at the store today I ran across Pocky's latest:

http://www.glico.co.jp/pocky/decorer/bananu.htm

banana.. yuck!

Yeah, I might be able to find the banana and chocolate flavour again now! Although this type of pocky seems to be too much coating.

I grew up with with the chocolate pocky, strawberry pocky, the dipping biscuit sticks, and the milk flavoured biscuit stick.

gallery_18176_530_1104344191.jpg

The chocolate dip is on the left and the milk one is on the right.

growing up in southeast asia i loved(and still do) strawberry flavored pocky than the chocolate covered ones..also the yan yan's..very very good..you can find most of these kinds of snacks and more..at oriental markets. there's one snack called panda and it's a cookie shaped like a panda filled inside with a chocolate filling. very good.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine, who knows that I am always on the lookout for new and interesting products, brought me this the other day

gallery_6134_549_1742.jpg

Mousse Pocky, azuki flavor

this was pretty gross, I love azuki but this was very starch-y tatsing and overly sweet....

Just a note for NYC pocky/pretz seekers - sometimes Yagura on 41st street (btw 5th and Madison) has sales where you can get the stuff really cheap. Probably not worth the trip if you're not close by, they are kind of infrequent. I used to work by there and have great memories of loading up on 99c Corn Pretz, I would rearrange my desk drawers to maximize concealment and easy access.