• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pocky (and Pocky-like snacks)

stefanyb

i found a new favorite stick-shaped snack from japan!

it's called tunaage arare. the 'dressing flavor' is my favorite kind. they're about two inches long and they're like puffed-wheat sticks, almost, only crunchier. i bought a huge bag of them from sunrise mart (on broome street) for $1.99.

can someone who speaks japanese tell me what tunaage arare actually means? :smile:

i found a new favorite stick-shaped snack from japan!

it's called tunaage arare. the 'dressing flavor' is my favorite kind. they're about two inches long and they're like puffed-wheat sticks, almost, only crunchier. i bought a huge bag of them from sunrise mart (on broome street) for $1.99.

can someone who speaks japanese tell me what tunaage arare actually means?  :smile:

I did some googling but failed to identify the product you described.

tuna = tuna in English?

age = deep-fried or something deep-fried

arare = cracker made with glutinous rice (not regular rice)

I did some googling but failed to identify the product you described.

tuna = tuna in English?

age = deep-fried or something deep-fried

arare = cracker made with glutinous rice (not regular rice)

I don't know about the tuna part, but it sounds like the type of arare on the right side, second to the bottom, but fried and without beans. When they're fried, they're usually quite light (and the ones with beans are my favourite snack!). I usually buy the plain ones in the Y100 snack section.

I Googled it too!  You mean these ones?  I think you get different search results from Google depending on where you're searching from.

Thanks! Now I know how foolish I was.

Tuna 綱 = Rope

(Tuna is more often spelled tsuna.)

And, this type of arare is made with wheat flour.

I like this snack, too.

Heh. We used "Men's Pocky" as a reward when potty training our munchkin. Left Gramma to sit one day, came home to find a completely confused Gramma...."Pocky was demanded. What in Sam Hill is a Pocky?!".

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I adore pocky. lol. i used to eat the plain strawberry version non-stop everyday until i gained 2 kg and got stopped by my mom.

Just went to Japan in Dec, and found they are chestnut mad.

gallery_58239_5643_443081.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Holy carp I'm ordering Pocky online because I like it so much! Men's Pocky? Are the Pocky police going to come after me if I eat that? Do I suddenly grow a beard? :laugh:

I got the strawberry bits and the chocolate cookie crush!

edited to add the site I'm purchasing from

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index.asp?P...S&Category=1070

OH and I also ordered the tomato pretz....

Edited by Shelby (log)

My brother's birthday was Saturday. I got/made him his favorite meal. Giant deli sandwich with wasabi mayo and 2 boxes of choclate Pocky (which he was kind enough to share :biggrin: )!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini