• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pocky (and Pocky-like snacks)

stefanyb

Gave my grandma her first taste of Pocky yesterday, Strawberry. I had to give her something nice after the kimchee, seaweed salad, and broiled eel sushi.

Actually she liked everything but the kimchee :wink:

I told her the Pocky tastes just like a strawberry shortcake icecream bar.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

new fuyu (winter) Pocky!

with a thick coating of chocolate and top layer of cocoa powder

excellent!

I'm so happy Glico is making these again! The first time I had them was maybe 3 years ago in Taiwan, during the summer :huh:

The latest Pocky flavour I tried was part of the series of the "grain" Pocky's, the one with almond paste & peanuts with a biscuit stick that reminded me of digestive cookies. It was ok, but I wasn't blown away by it. I haven't seen the Kinako kind here yet - still waiting!

• 1 month later...
I have seen teh leomon cheesecake Pocky all over the place but have no intention of trying it as I don't care for either white chocolate or cheesecake.....

Lemon Cheesecake Pocky has the same relationship to actual lemon cheesecake as, say, a McDonald's cheeseburger has to an actual cheeseburger. It's called "Lemon Cheesecake", but it's really something uniquely its own. I know, because I have eaten Lemon Cheesecake Pocky, despite the fact that I would not consider eating an actual lemon cheesecake other than, maybe, in a life-or-death situation. And I liked it.

My own philosophy with regards to Pocky is that if you do not try each variety at least once, you have robbed yourself of something that can be regained neither in this life nor in the hereafter. A good strategy regarding the more challenging flavors is to find someone who is willing to spring for a fresh pack (for what challenges one inevitably entices another), ask for just one, and gingerly nibble on the very tip. Even if you swiftly spit the morsel out, you will have legitimately tried it, and your Pocky Karma will be complete.

Edited by ivan (log)

--

ID

--

• 1 month later...

I can see it's not just matcha but strong matcha.  Was it particularly strong, compared with other macha-flavored snacks?

It was no stronger than any other matcha flavored snacks I have had.

Hiroyuki,

I know that is the character for koi (strong/deep flavored) but how is it read in this combination?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I can see it's not just matcha but strong matcha.  Was it particularly strong, compared with other macha-flavored snacks?

Hiroyuki,

I know that is the character for koi (strong/deep flavored) but how is it read in this combination?

This is really tricky. As you know, it can be read either koi or nou, but I can't determine which. I tried to find an answer by googling, but in vain. I'll send an inquiry to the manufacturer, and hopefully post a reply here.

In the case of Meltykiss, I learned that 濃いちご is read koi ichigo, but I can't tell whether 濃抹茶 is read koi matcha or nou matcha. So, I think I have to send an inquiry to that manufacturer, too.

My gut-guess is to read it "koi" as there is a type of green tea meant to be drunk extra strong, known as "koi-cha" (just so that there is absolutely NO confusion about what type of tea you are getting, unlike many of the more fanciful tea names!).

I tried the murasaki-imo one too (it's really a pity that I *have* to go to the convenience store to buy bread and milk while picking my son up from cram school, and I just *know* he'll be wanting a snack afterward...). It was OK, but I didn't actually like the spongy texture combined with the slight grittiness of the sweet-potato powder. Picky, picky...

Meanwhile, we had some of those "sakura saku" cherry-blossom flavored Kit-Kats just to get son2 in the mood for his exams, and although the flavor was a surprise, it grew on me. It's definitely artificial, more like the aroma of pickled cherry leaves on supermarket sakura-mochi than any kind of cherry fruit. And I think it was faintly salty too...not bad, and not incredibly sweet!

(But why did they have them lined up on the counter beside big bags of "failed student" peanuts - rakkasei :huh: ).

Chocomoo, I'm surprised at you! I rather like those "5-grains" pocky!

Edited by helenjp (log)

Hiroyuki,

This is really tricky. As you know, it can be read either koi or nou, but I can't determine which. I tried to find an answer by googling, but in vain. I'll send an inquiry to the manufacturer, and hopefully post a reply here.

In the case of Meltykiss, I learned that 濃いちご is read koi ichigo, but I can't tell whether 濃抹茶 is read koi matcha or nou matcha. So, I think I have to send an inquiry to that manufacturer, too.

Thanks!

I was thinking koi sounded better but my husband thinks it should be read nou...

Hiroyuki,

Thanks!

I was thinking koi sounded better but my husband thinks it should be read nou...

Just received a reply from Glico, the manufacturer of Pocky.

The correct answer is:

濃抹茶 is a trade name and is read コイマッチャ (koi matcha).

Still waiting for a reply from the other manufacturer.

You people are cruel..

I managed to get to page 4 of this thread before I HAD to go and get a packet of Korean imitation Pocky "Funzels" from the pantry. I bought two on Sunday because they were on sale. Alas when I went back for the second box, I discovered that someone had come home for lunch and consumed them then. DAMN! Thank goodness I thought to buy Pucca too..

• 1 month later...

I live 2.5 blocks from Glico Canada Corp. I hear they have a retail outlet but I have never been. Here is the contact information incase anyone needs to hunt anything down.

162 W 5th, Vancouver, BC V5Y 1H9

(604) 876-7192

*I haven't read the whole thread, so if it was already mentioned...sorry.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maple Pretz, cool!

Pocky has a couple new ones out, but I am waiting for them to go on sale...

New from the Decorer series: apple and grape

I really want to try that grape one.

New from the Mousse Pocky series: matcha, creamy, white, bitter (along with new packaging)

A new look for the crush series as well: almond and cookie

Check out this giant maple flavoured Canadian Pretz.  The box was huge, contained 35 pieces and cost me $15.99.

$15.99?!?!??!??!! That's crazy! But oh so cool!

Maple pretz came out in Japan in 2005 (around summer or fall, I think), and I tried it once but I wasn't crazy about it. I love maple syrup, but the maple pretz tasted too fake. I wonder if the Canadian version might taste better...

Check out this giant maple flavoured Canadian Pretz.  The box was huge, contained 35 pieces and cost me $15.99.

$15.99?!?!??!??!! That's crazy! But oh so cool!

Maple pretz came out in Japan in 2005 (around summer or fall, I think), and I tried it once but I wasn't crazy about it. I love maple syrup, but the maple pretz tasted too fake. I wonder if the Canadian version might taste better...

It actually tasted quite good. I'm thinking of other things I can do with it too.

• 4 weeks later...

not really food, but do any of you like those glass soda bottles with the glass ball inside the lid? I love those things but they are really noisy (and expensive). I bought peach flavor for me and strawberry for my boyfriend.

At the grocery store today I was looking for those chocolate mushrooms for him (his favorite) and wasn't able to find them. Instead I bought the green tea mousse pocky for me - which was delicious. I like to eat all of the green tea coating off first then eat the stick. I also bought banana mousse for me, and chocolate and strawberry flavors for him. I can't get anything too crazy for him, he only likes "western" flavors.

Sometimes when I go to the Korean grocery store, they have the same box of chocolate mushrooms but they are made in korea. He thinks the japanese ones taste better. I think they are made from the same company: meiji but they might contain different ingredients.

I noticed that when I buy japanese/korean snacks I understand all of the ingredients listed whereas american snacks have ingredients I have never heard of.

oh poop I posted this in the wrong thread in the wrong section. It was supposed to go in the japan forum

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA