• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pocky (and Pocky-like snacks)

stefanyb

Of course one does not need to read Japanese to appreciate young girls eating Pocky in suggestive poses...  :shock:

But... Mark... it's such a... catchy tune. You mean you didn't like it for the catchy tune?

Pocky, Pocky, Pocky...

(and I expected TOMMY to be the one to make the suggestive comments! :smile: )

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Green Tea

i7478.jpg

*Glico Mousse Pocky Green Cha - Thick coating with pronounced green color and strong green tea flavor with good and slightly bitter aftertaste, long finish

*Kirin Nama Cha - Similar thickness, light green color, strong initial taste of green tea, but weaker aftertaste

Both of these are good if you like green tea.

*Kirin Gogo No Kocha - Thick coating of chocolate and black tea. Very strong tea flavor, has an aroma reminiscent of a fresh pack of cigarettes (but not in a bad way)

*Glico Mousse Pocky Green Cha - Thick coating with pronounced green color and strong green tea flavor with good and slightly bitter aftertaste, long finish

*Kirin Nama Cha - Similar thickness, light green color, strong initial taste of green tea, but weaker aftertaste

Both of these are good if you like green tea.

*Kirin Gogo No Kocha - Thick coating of chocolate and black tea. Very strong tea flavor, has an aroma reminiscent of a fresh pack of cigarettes (but not in a bad way)

I'd appreciate members' input on where the tea-flavored Pockys described by Rachel can be purchased in central areas within NYC.

eGullet can handle Japanese just fine. The character sets have to be installed on your browser, though.

Beg to differ...

I've got the character sets on my browser, and could see them fine on the Pocky site. In fact I cut and pasted them from the site into the eGullet text input box and they were gobbldygook from thereon.

Are you telling me you're seeing Japanese characters in the above posts? :blink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Well, these guys seem to be willing to SHIP you some Green Tea Mousse Pocky: Click Here.

(edit - just saw someone else post this...)

also, Suzanne F, elsewhere on eGullet posted this:

Hong Kong Supermarket, at the corner of East Broadway and Allen Street (NYC Chinatown) has a HUGE selection of Pocky. Also of stuff I noted in the "Offal" thread.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Pocky, Pocky, Pocky...

(and I expected TOMMY to be the one to make the suggestive comments!  :smile: )

Well, I was waiting, but felt compelled to say something about it. Where's the Pocky Boys Drill team? Is Pocky being specifically targeted at pre-teen girls? Is it a marketing conspiracy? :unsure:

Meanwhile Jon, Have you been getting my PMs? I seem to be sending out messages to several folks and not getting replies. Was wondering about your attending the NJ Thai Dinner this coming Sunday (Sorry to post this publically, but as noted the PMs aren't doin' it...)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I got the last one, Mark. Yeah, I'll be there. I just didn't know for sure until today.

As for the Pocky Drill Team... yeah, right. You can continue to think that they are marketing for teenaged girls if you want... but did you notice that "Men's Pocky" is prominent in the end-cap of that commercial?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

As for the Pocky Drill Team... yeah, right.  You can continue to think that they are marketing for teenaged girls if you want...

This Pocky Drill Team is a song & dance unit named " Morning MUSUME

(meanign "Daugher")". They are the most popular group in Japan right

now. Of course, the main target is teenaged girls as well as of the other

sweet procucts. But the group is supprted by both boys and girls.

FYI, Pocky is the registered trade mark of GLICO. So FRAN, a product of

Meiji, is not Pocky. FRAN is FRAN. Nobody in Japan call it Pocky!

POCKY VENDING MACHINES?!?  Where in the world are there Pocky vending machines?  Now that I've calmed down, I assume it's in Japan, where vending machines are very popular, I've heard.

This is partially wrong.

Yes, there are uncountable numbers of vending machines in Japan, but

most of them for cigarettes or canned soft drinks. I've never seen

Pocky Vending Machine. I suppose it's easier in US (like in University dorm)

to find vending machines for sweets.

Pocky is usually bought at so-called convenient stores like Seven-eleven,

which you can find every corner in Tokyo. or at kiosk of railway stations.

Bon, since Pocky has a lot of imitators, is there a word or name that covers all of the various products that are similar to Pocky in appearance?

"Pocky-like" seems like a good word to use temporarily, but we'll use the real word if one exists.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Bon, since Pocky has a lot of imitators, is there a word or name that covers all of the various products that are similar to Pocky in appearance?

jhlurie,

As far as I know, there is not a specific word covering pocky and similar products in appearance.

I don't mind if you call them all "pocky", since it's not Ramen. I cannot stand to see people take instant beef noodle or chow-mien as Ramen mistakenly, though! :raz:

Nobody has mention my favorite Pocky, which I haven't seen for a while, so maybe it's no longer made -- they call it "tea" flavored, but it's actually chocolate flavored with Earl Grey (bergamot). It's quite good -- right up there with "Men's Pocky."

But why isn't there "Women's Pocky"? Or "Children's Pocky"? Perhaps they could call little ones "Pockettes"? Or maybe that's what all fans of Pocky should be called.....

B Edulis, that might solve the ideological rift between the Pockies and the Pockers. :rolleyes:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 months later...

My favorite pocky is the coconut one. I usually hide the box from the kids when I buy so I can eat the whole thing by myself.

My favorite of the Fran is the the matcha (green tea) one.

These stick type sancks are very popular over here, but there is no one name that they are are referred to, and I have never seen them sold in a vending machine.

I can read all of the Japanese, no problem, but then again I have Japanese OS.

“ú–{Œê‚à‘‚¯‚Ü‚·‚æB :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I am a huge pocky fan. My old roomate was insane with pocky lust. He used the old boxes to cover his door with them as a kind of wall paper. He had enough for more than two doors worth. Last I heard, he was thinking about laquering them and making a suit of traditional japanese armour with them.

I have had:

Chocolate

Strawberry

Men's (dark chocolate)

Cocoa

Pudding

Burnt Cream

Giant Chocolate

Giant Strawberry

Almond Crush

White Almond Crush

A few other Crush types

Rainbow Special Edition

Green Tea

Chocolate Mousse

White Chocolate Mousse

Various other Mousse types

And then other kinds such as Fran.

Pocky is da bomb.

Ben

p.s. they are called pocky because that is the sound they make when you eat them. Pocky! Pocky!

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

If you really need a good laugh, check out the engrish.com site noticed on the bottom of the box.

It's a good site, but humor aside think about this box from a culinary perspective.

"Bourbon" "Pickle" "Chocolate" "Lemon" "Milk"

My head hurts just LOOKING at that box.

Why they had to throw the word pickle in there, I will never understand. Of course the Japanese just love to use English with out giving consideration to its meaning. For example the name of the apartment I live in is Privy Tachibana (Tachibana being the name of the city I live in), my neighbors always get a kick out of it now that they know what it means. And just down the street is a woman's hair salon called gout, I just can't get myself to go in there!

I think I will go check out the Pocky selection at the drug store today, the kids will be ecstatic because I don't normally buy too many snacks.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had to bring this back up because I found this site of "RARE" pocky!

http://www.bento.com/morefood.html

Honestly I have nothing better to do then search the web for information about pocky! :blink:

OK couldn't get a direct link, click on the pocky page of the fun links and then click on the the large pocky box on the bottom of the page.

Edited by torakris (log)