• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla infusion

lancastermike

Exactly. A few vanilla beans (poke some small holes in them), liquor and time. I've done a vanilla-infused bourbon a time or two. Save the vanilla beans when you're done. You can scrape them out and use it in a dessert.

--

Back when I was at Striped Bass, the Pastry Department always had tons of already scraped out vanilla pods laying about. I stuffed a handful of those into some bourbon and let it sit for a couple of months.

End result was delicious.

Know any professional bakers? Maybe you could get their used pods from them?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

I have infused a few bottles of liqour over the years and i kept coming up against the same problem. As soon as Had infued peppers into something my sweet tooth would come out. I now just infuse simple syrups. I have around 12 simples in my fridge. This way I can use the vanilla in both burbon and vodka. Also you have more contol over the intensity of the flavor in each cocktail. You can rinse a glass leaving just a whisper of the flavor or use it in equal parts to the acid and have it a bold, blustery statement.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE