• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bag lunches and picnic spots - Being a tourist

freecia

I'll be visiting during the second and third week of December and am doing the normal tourist stuff. However, I still haven't resigned myself to McD's in the Air and Space museum. Please recommend some good inexpensive eats which either do good take-out in the morning/afternoon and some good values close to the tourism areas (or reachable by public transit). Also, anyone have a favorite spot to eat these preferably away from food snatching birds? (Does DC have this problem?)

I love seafood and would totally splurge for good seafood (I'm in SF) so a rec. or two for some yummy seafood will be very welcome.

Lastly, I'm a grad student, so I'm shooting for $10pp lunches, $5 snacks (or less! ;) ) and a meal or two around $25pp.

Teaism and Two Amys are on the list so far. I do want to fit in Amsterdam Falafals.

Also, if anyone can advise me as to which type of transit pass I should get? I was thinking the unlimited 7day metro and 7 day bus since I'll be here for a week and my friend has graciously offered me space so I will be commuting in from Alexandria. The unlimited passes would allow me to hop onto a bus/metro to other areas for food if that makes my lunch much more enjoyable and affordable. Which neighborhoods and spots should I not miss?

This isn't my first trip to DC as I went twice more than 10 years ago, so I'm not in super tourist mode and would really love to see some more unusual items. Things that less people have in their photo albums, if you get my drift (It is as if there's a set list of things to see in DC and no-one has some more unusual suggestions like a quirky shop, not to be missed item in the Lib. of Congress, etc).

Since I'll be coming in from Alexandria, picnic supplies/lunch/sightseeing suggestions from there are also welcome.

Thanks ever so much!

not to be missed item in the Lib. of Congress, etc).

Me! :raz:

Five Guys is opening at 13th & F Five Guys

I have not eaten there, but they keep getting awards.

Let me see if I can think of anything else. I'm kind of jaded on places around Capitol Hill, except for Bulgogy on Mondays ($4.95, includes rice, kimchee and a little salad) from Pete's Diner (2nd st. SE, just south of Independence). What areas will you be visiting?

Edited by akur23 (log)

Ana the Librarian

Twins were born June 14th, 2006!!!!!

I'm also a Disney Trivia fan: DisneyTrivia

I trade books!

Have books to trade? Join PaperBack Swap!

Off the top of my head since I haven't had a chance to sit down with a guidebook

National Mall (Museums, Monuments,

National Gallery of Art

Treasury Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Georgetown

Folger Shakespeare Library

Library of Congress

National Cathedral

Postal Museum

Adams Morgan (window shopping)

Holocaust Museum

International Spy Museum

Anything I just can't miss? I'll be splitting this over a 4+ days so I'm prepared to wander about.

Off the top of my head since I haven't had a chance to sit down with a guidebook

Treasury Bureau of Engraving and Printing

International Spy Museum

Anything I just can't miss?  I'll be splitting this over a 4+ days so I'm prepared to wander about.

first off, it might be a bit cold to be sitting outside with a lunch. . .you'd probably do better hitting something like the bar at old ebbitt (or the lunch area inside the building), bar at firefly, something along those lines.

secondly, is the bureau of printing and engraving open? i know it was closed, and was under the impression that it was still closed. alternatively, the archives recently reopened after a 3 year refurbishment.

thirdly, go to the spy museum. . it's tons of fun, plus, its in penn quarter where there's a ton of places to eat.

finally, if you like ice skating, the sculpture garden on the mall has an outdoor skating rink that i love going to.

Breadline!! You'll be going back again and again. 1751 Pennsylvania Ave.

The Spy museum has a decent cafe and the National Gallery of Art has weekend brunch for 20 bucks, as does the Corcoran Gallery next to the White House.

For breakfast, find a Teaism. There's one in Penn Quarter(Navy Archives Metro Stop) and Dupont circle.

For cheaper dinners, try Jaleo for tapas or Cafe Atlantico for the pre theater menu. At 24.95, it's a good deal. Both also Navy Archives Metro stop.

Since you'll be staying in Alexandria, I assume you'll wander about in Old Town. http://www.funside.com

Edited by monavano (log)

A few Metro stops up from Air & Space is Eastern Market (Eastern Market Metro stop - go figure : ) It's kind of similar to Baltimore's Lexington, or Cleveland's West Side Markets. Market Lunch has a pretty good crabcake and many think a good breakfast. There is much to choose from there.

A few blocks up (13th and Penn or so) is Mangialardo's, for one of the best subs in D.C. Go for the G-Man on a hard roll that cuts the roof of your mouth (in a good way).

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

A few Metro stops up from Air & Space is Eastern Market (Eastern Market Metro stop - go figure : )   It's kind of similar to Baltimore's Lexington, or Cleveland's West Side Markets.   Market Lunch has a pretty good crabcake and many think a good breakfast.  There is much to choose from there.

A few blocks up (13th and Penn or so) is Mangialardo's, for one of the best subs in D.C.  Go for the G-Man on a hard roll that cuts the roof of your mouth (in a good way). 

Thanks,

Kevin

Eastern market is a great suggestion. Market lunch is open during the week, and Sat. Not Sunday. Go for breakfast and get the bluebucks. Buckwheat blueberry pancakes. This is the real draw.

The crab cakes are infamous, if not all that great. Just ok. But again, it's a very "insider" thing to do. Git it "Washington style" with coleslaw and hot sauce.

Go early, or expect to stand in line. If there is a line, stay. It moves along pretty well.

I like to walk down the block to Murky Coffee http://www.murkycoffee.com/ and get a latte that I can drink in line whilst I wait. These are indeed some of the best baristas around. If you like coffee, get it and you'll be talking it up afterwards.

Also, on the hill while your there, is Monmartre for lunch, or Belga. Both affordable.

BTW, for Breadline, pronounced in today's Washington Post as the best French baguette in town, here is the web site which lists thier daily specials.

http://breadlinedc.blogspot.com/

In Georgetown, try Paradiso for pizza. Old Glory for BBQ.

Zed's for Ethiopian (which is very prevalent in DC)

http://www.zeds.net/

While in Adams Morgan try the Amsterdam Falafel Shop:

http://www.falafelshop.com/

Adams Morgan is also chock full of inexpensive Ethiopian, perhaps try Dukem, not Meskeram.

Check out Tryst, for coffee.

So much food, so little time.....enjoy

Edited by monavano (log)

As stated above-- go check out Eastern Market. Perhaps you could go to the Library of Congress, check out the inside (one of the most beautiful interiors in DC, IMHO), then take a walk down stately East Capitol St and make a right on 7th St. In a couple of blocks, you'll be there. Murky Coffee is a great place to stop, but don't be suckered in to going to the temptingly named Bread and Chocolate a couple of doors down. The pastries and bread are at best so-so.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.