• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Has the Best Pizza in the DC Area?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Matchbox for the first time this weekend after hearing pretty good things about it here. My wife and I shared both the arugula pear & frizzizzled goat cheese

and the prosciutto white pizza. Now I was a little concerned about getting a soggy pizza after reading this forum but the crust was nicely done and crispy on the outside and just a bit chewy on the inside (which is how we like our crusts). It was not smothered in ingredients but had just enough and the flavor combination of the prosciutto, olives, ricotta and mozz was wonderful. Aside from the food I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the place. For some reason (I still can't put my finger on it) it transported me to San Francisco. Anyway just my two cents.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

I went to matchbox for lunch last week and was thoroughly unimpressed. We had the meatball pizza and it was overcooked and didn't have a lot of flavor. When I made a comment that it tasted like a Totinno's frozen pizza my dining companion said she was thinking the exact same thing!

The mini-burgers looked good, so maybe I will go back and try those out at some point. As far as pizza goes, I very much prefer Ella's or Paradiso...

This is always a controversial topic, of course, as everyone has an opinion on pizza, salad, ice cream, cheese, etc.

That being the case, I'd like to add my favorite place to get pizza: The Italian Store in Arlington. Not only do they crank out bomb-like pizza, but they also have great sandwiches, an excellent selection of Italian Wines, meats, and a whole bunch of other gourmet delights!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

• 3 weeks later...
Toppings were applied haphazardly and very unevenly,

Service was also quite slow and inatentive.

We stopped by Pizza Paradiso while in Georgetown this last Sunday and, from what we experienced, not much has changed in the last year or so.

To start, we had the special appetizer of roasted elephant garlic w/bread. It was disappointing mainly because of the lack of decent olive oil (as has been mentioned previously, also by vengroff) and the fact that by the time it got to our table the four skimpy :hmmm: pieces of bread (is there a local ordinance that limits the amount of bread that can be served in Georgetown?!?) were totally soaked in the tasteless olive oil. While the pizza tasted good and the crust was not totally devoid flavor (what a novelty!), the toppings were thrown on quite randomly. Over one half of our "special of the day" pizza with rosemary, had no rosemary! But these issues were quite trivial in comparison to the behavior of the staff...

The woman at the table next to us dropped her 3/4-full water glass and it quite spectacularly shattered as it hit the marble-topped table. A waiter taking an order two tables over, looked up briefly and that was the extent of his concern. He walked over to another one of his tables, talked to the people there and then walked right by the table with the woman desperately trying to contain the spilled water. My husband (always super-sensitive to public scenes) gave the woman his napkin to help with the mop up, but no employees of the restaurant offered any assistance.

After the woman and her friend left, the hostess bused the table and frowned at the broken glass, but no one ever did clean up the large puddle of water and ice under the table. Lovely. As my husband said: "It really sort of ruins the experience".

There's another pizza thread around here mktye where I mention some of my own misadventures with service there. Sad to hear that the situation hasn't improved.

My own opinion of their pizza was pretty non-comittal, just OK, nothing special.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

• 4 months later...

Do I win the award for resurrecting the oldest thread?

Not sure if we have a Paradiso thread, but:

We went to the original Pizza Paradiso for the first time in a couple years yesterday for a little post-out-of-print-book-search snack. I can report that the pizza is still very good (though not as good as 2 Amys used to be), with a crust that comes very, very close to the ideal (my ideal anyway: a thin, crackling crisp on the bottom and yeasty-soft within). The anchovies were good (oil-packed :sad:) specimens; the cheese actually tasted like something; the canned tomatoes properly drained and of good quality.

My only real complaint is that the bread that came with the antipasto plate sucked like Clara Bow at a USC game - spongy, plasticky and soft-crumbed. A shame to put on the same plate as the fairly nice proscuitto.

Oh, and a serious overload of loudmouthed tourists - I think we were the only locals in the place. Lots of "What kind of pizza has an egg on it?" and "Tuna salad isn't Italian" overheard. We smiled benevolently (since we're sooo tragically hip) and sipped our black coffee.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

I went to matchbox for lunch last week and was thoroughly unimpressed.  We had the meatball pizza and it was overcooked and didn't have a lot of flavor.  When I made a comment that it tasted like a Totinno's frozen pizza my dining companion said she was thinking the exact same thing! 

The mini-burgers looked good, so maybe I will go back and try those out at some point.  As far as pizza goes, I very much prefer Ella's or Paradiso...

Couldn't agree more. When will people realize that the pizza at Ella's is much better (although the restaurant is not much to look at)? Went to Matchbox last night, had the miniburgers and the prosciutto white. The pizza was paper thin, a little blackened, and overpowering with garlic. The miniburgers were great, as always, but on a plate of 9, they ranged from rare to well done. They are always inconsistent.

(typo)

Edited by DCatty (log)
Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

We went to Ella's once and the pizza was awful. Undercooked, underspiced and undertopped. I don't know if we went on a bad night, but of all the "authentic" places in town, they were the worst.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

No doubt that Matchbox has better beer, better atmosphere, and the miniburgers. I just find that Ella's is friendlier, much less crowded, has terrific homemade desserts (pudding, lemon bars), and the pizza has a thicker crust, and is of more consistent quality. Matchbox is nice for Saturday night cocktails and miniburgers, but Ella's is the place for a casual, good pizza.

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

Pomodoro Pizza in the FairFax Towne Center makes about the best pzza we have had anywhere in the DC area. Very thin crust, great cheese and seasoned very well. Hard to beat if you like thin crust...

I'm suprised to hear anything bad said about Paradiso. Although I have never eaten anywhere other than at the bar, the pizzas and salads that I've had have been close to perfection. Wood-fired, excellent crust (chewy and crispy) and with a bevy of traditional toppings. I usually go for the bottarga pie with a perfectly cooked runny egg baked in the center. This is incredibly hard if you've ever thrown a pie in a wood-burning oven!

The bartender has never not bought me a glass of the Chimay they sell on tap in addition to several other hand-picked drafts. The winelist is all Italian and there is a great cocktail list as well, including several sangrias. I love this place.

I'm not a fan of the Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown. I've eaten there twice many months apart and both times the crust came out burnt. Not a little well done. Big black patches. The eggplant also had a tinny taste. The Dupont one may be better but I'm not going to go back to the Georgetown location.

I'm not a fan of the Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown.  I've eaten there twice many months apart and both times the crust came out burnt.  Not a little well done.  Big black patches.  The eggplant also had a tinny taste.  The Dupont one may be better but I'm not going to go back to the Georgetown location.

agreed. i used to go here a lot when i worked in gtown and i was never satisifed. my friends would go though, so i would come along.

burnt crust to the point where it hurts to chew. shitty service: they got my order wrong twice in my first three visits. just not good.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

• 2 years later...

I just moved to Arlington from Philly and I am looking for good pizza. i am looking for anything from sit down gourmet to by the slice and if there is anywhere at all that serves great sicilian. i am willing to drive large distances for pizza so all suggestions welcome, thanks.

Edited by taoseno (log)

I haven't lived in DC for a few years so I do not know what the pizza situation is like there. I live in Philly now and when I go to visit my family in DC I always bring some pizza with me from the City and my family loves it 'cause they say there isn't anything like it down there. We do have an awful lot of Italians up here, and good pizza makers at that.

I know Pizzeria Paradiso on P Street in Dupont Circle is good, and the owners opended another one, two amy's, maybe

Lost Dog Cafe is a local fave.

Good food and a good cause.

Go there and get the t-shirt. :cool:

I love the place because my girlfriend and I tend to have asynchronous pizza eating habits. So, one can get a personal pizza, and the other a salad or very tasty sandwich. What's also nice is the beer selection.

I'd definitely recommend it! But... you might have to wait a bit on a weekend (40 min's) for a seat. If that's too much time, they do deliver free. There is also sister outfit, Stray Cat Cafe at the other end of the mall strip which is good (no pizza). A Lebanese Taverna nearby as well.

~C

PS - In Fairfax Town Center (and other locales I'm sure) there is a Pommadora's (sp?) Italian Restaurant which puts out a good pizza product. Give them a try as well.

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

2 Amys is the place to find Neapolitan pizza in this area. The restaurant is loved not just by food critics and "foodies," but by parents of small children, so you need to be reasonably tolerant if you go early on a Friday evening, say. Lines are out the door at times on weekends. However, everything is wonderful, not just the pizza, and the space accommodates quiet as well as bustle. Just off Wisconsin Avenue, NW, near the cathedral.

This will do, but I am afraid you would not trust what is said above if you go here first. I am not fond of the unmitigated imported canned plum tomatoes that adorn its simple pizzas, but in other respects, it is good, especially the olives and extras.

ETA: After reading davecap, neither of these places are like the kinds of very American pizza places you'll find in Philly, at least from what I gather browsing the PA Pizza Club thread.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Hi and welcome to DC! I'm from Philly too and do crave some good pizza. Alas, you live in Arlington, where you can get very, very good pizza by the slice or pie. If you haven't heard of The Italian Store yet, let me tell you. The thin crust pizza has nice gooey, greasy cheese and the slices are big.

And, bonus, the Italian Store had the closest thing you will get to a hoagie. They call them subs there, and do not use Amorosso or Sarconne rolls, but the subs are really good. I like the "Philly," by no coincidence!

It satisfies my craving for Philly food. The frozen pasta, canneloni and tortolini are just like P & S Ravioli.

If you just want a slice, go to the back and you'll see the pizza displayed. If you want a hoagie, grab a number at the counter as soon as you walk in. This place is NUTS on the weekend. The line moves fast, so hang in there. It's worth it.

A discussion on WETA recently provides this feedback from listeners.

Edited by monavano (log)

Try Stoney's pizza when it returns to Logan Circle. Not true Philly Italian style, but the waft of the smoky dive at the original Stoney's added a je ne sais quoi to a pretty good pie.

I am a Philly transplant living in MD. The best I've found is Vito's in Owings Mills. When taking that trip back home to Philly, take 695 W off of 95 N. It's off Exit 19 and 20, depending on which way you want to get there. Continue on 695 and avoid the tunnel.

I think Philly probably has better pizza than DC and I am not -- yuppie though I am -- a fan of "authentic" pizza's, as they tend to be expensive and bland (though 2 Amy's isn't bad). My favorite place is Vace, [(202) 363-1999 3315 Connecticut Ave Nw] which inspires equal parts devotion and loathing. It has a couple of those local "Best of DC" Awards, some people leave the room screaming at its mention. Vace offers up an ideosynchratic pie -- the cheese is under the sauce -- but, with a little extra sauce (just ask), it is my favorite. If coming in from Arlington, invest in a pizza stone and put it in a 500 degree oven while you drive out and back (carryout only), it crisps up nicely.

The hot new spot is Comet Ping Pong. I believe this will ultimately prove as divisive as Vace -- I'm not even sure I'm going to like it in the end -- but it's worth checking out, and anyone who considers themselves reasonably informed on DC Pizza will have to try it once.

Alberto's is pretty darn good and comes in under most people's radars. May be the closest thing to Philly style, too. Largely a carryout, so remember the pizza stone. Also, bring a friend for the pick-up, because the parking nearby is awful.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I’ll go out on a limb and mention a controversial choice: Ledo Pizza (click). Caveats: it is definitely not Philly or NY pizza. Few have neutral opinions about Ledo’s – most folks either love it or hate it. It is a franchise (albeit a local franchise), so quality varies somewhat by location.

The crust is unique: medium-depth and almost flaky like a good pie crust. The sauce is the most flavorful I have ever had on a pizza, and the toppings are generous – thick hunks of pepperoni, huge chunks of Italian sausage, thick-cut crispy bacon.

I grew up minutes from the original store near the University of Maryland, so I am probably biased. I also like pizza with jalapeno chilies and anchovies, so consider yourself warned. :wink: