• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Has the Best Pizza in the DC Area?

...My favorite place is Vace, [(202) 363-1999 3315 Connecticut Ave Nw]  which inspires equal parts devotion and loathing...

The hot new spot is Comet Ping Pong.  I believe this will ultimately prove as divisive as Vace -- I'm not even sure  I'm going to like it in the end -- but it's worth checking out, and anyone who considers themselves reasonably informed on DC Pizza will have to try it once...

I actually like Vace, too, and it's handy especially since individual slices are sold. About a third the size of one at Ray's, a pepperoni, onion or spinach slice is handy while running errands. My problem with Vace's is the quality of the crust, mostly a matter of ovens, perhaps, but also prep since it's bland, unblistered and looks more institutional than it actually is.

The plain pizza is good to order. Since I am not from Philly, I recommend picking up some really good arugula before you go over and a bottle of red wine unless you want one of theirs. Ask for slices of imported prosciutto and after you reheat your pie back home, sprinkle surface with arugula and then drizzle on some olive oil and drape slices of prosciutto over that. The arugula wilts. Ummm. Of course, red chili flakes and a bottle of beer's fine, too.

And since I have a soft spot for New Haven-style I am curious about Comet, though the reference to white clams I swear I read earlier made me think Pepe's might be the source of inspiration.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

...My favorite place is Vace, [(202) 363-1999 3315 Connecticut Ave Nw]  which inspires equal parts devotion and loathing...

The hot new spot is Comet Ping Pong.  I believe this will ultimately prove as divisive as Vace -- I'm not even sure  I'm going to like it in the end -- but it's worth checking out, and anyone who considers themselves reasonably informed on DC Pizza will have to try it once...

I actually like Vace, too, and it's handy especially since individual slices are sold. About a third the size of one at Ray's, a pepperoni, onion or spinach slice is handy while running errands....

And since I have a soft spot for New Haven-style I am curious about Comet, though the reference to white clams I swear I read earlier made me think Pepe's might be the source of inspiration.

I am reasonably certain that Comet's pizza has nothing to do with the traditional New Haven style. Way too postmodern. I think it's New Haven in the sense that they try to create a casual neighborhood pizza joint atmosphere, not in the actual construction of the pies.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I like Ledo's pizza OK, wife really likes it, but it is a style unto itself. The crust has a definite butter thing going, like pie crust as stated above. Enjoyable, but it's own product.

I'll probably get flamed unmercifully for this, but I also like Bertucci's, a dreaded chain. Our local one in Annapolis is a bit inconsistent, but on a good day, they're the best in town. They have a nice hot oven to use and a decent crust recipe. I usually tell them to go easy on the sauce and cheese and I've gotten some really good pies there. They have 2 DC locations (Dupont Circle and Pa Ave.) and one in Tyson's corner. http://www.bertuccis.com/

Disclaimer - Don't eat anything else at Bertucci's but pizza. I tried once.

In Annapolis, we have a few places that make pretty decent thin crust pie and sell it by the slice. Squisito has several locations http://www.squisitopizzaandpasta.com/index.html, Mangia is on the city dock next to Mill's Wine and Spirits (a good destination in it's own right), and the Italian Market also is a local small chain (2 stores) that sells slices. They also have a decent selection of imported Italian products and wine.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

I like Ledo's pizza OK, wife really likes it, but it is a style unto itself.  The crust has a definite butter thing going, like pie crust as stated above.  Enjoyable, but it's own product.

I'll probably get flamed unmercifully for this, but I also like Bertucci's, a dreaded chain.  Our local one in Annapolis is a bit inconsistent, but on a good day, they're the best in town.  They have a nice hot oven to use and a decent crust recipe.  I usually tell them to go easy on the sauce and cheese and I've gotten some really good pies there.  They have 2 DC locations (Dupont Circle and Pa Ave.) and one in Tyson's corner.  http://www.bertuccis.com/

Disclaimer - Don't eat anything else at Bertucci's but pizza.  I tried once.

In Annapolis, we have a few places that make pretty decent thin crust pie and sell it by the slice.  Squisito has several locations http://www.squisitopizzaandpasta.com/index.html, Mangia is on the city dock next to Mill's Wine and Spirits (a good destination in it's own right), and the Italian Market also is a local small chain (2 stores) that sells slices.  They also have a decent selection of imported Italian products and wine.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Italian market link: http://www.theitalianmarket.com/index.html

Well, it's not up there with 2 Amy's but I always enjoy the white pizza with fontina cheese and garlic at Vicino's on Sligo Avenue off Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring. Across the street from Jackie's. Thin crust, lot of flavor.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

Well, it's not up there with 2 Amy's but I always enjoy the white pizza with fontina cheese and garlic at Vicino's on Sligo Avenue off Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring. Across the street from Jackie's. Thin crust, lot of flavor.

G-friend and I are going walkabout in S-Spring tomorrow. Think we'll check it out for lunch.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

C,

It might be a bit of a hike (half hour?) from the SS metro, if you start there. That corridor of GA Ave has Jackie's, Vicino, and Crisfield's, all worth checking out, but I wonder if they are benefitting from the foot traffic associated with the hubbub downtown proper.

Call ahead about lunch hours on the weekend. :cool:

Edited by My Confusing Horoscope (log)

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

C,

It might be a bit of a hike (half hour?) from the SS metro, if you start there. That corridor of GA Ave has Jackie's, Vicino, and Crisfield's, all worth checking out, but I wonder if they are benefitting from the foot traffic associated with the hubbub downtown proper.

Call ahead about lunch hours on the weekend. :cool:

Stopped in @ Vicino's. Hole-in-thewall... Italian...

... GOOD EATS.

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

What did you have?  It's close to our house and we keep meaning to try it.

Just a basic "NY" thin-crust white pizza. It was pretty tasty.

What's good at Vicino? The white pizza, the veal roast, the sausage dishes. My wife loves the marinara sauce there.

For pasta, especially ravioli, try Sergio's on Colesville Road in the Hilton Hotel. Ravioli is a specialty there. Cost is a notch up from Vicino and portions are smaller, but worth it. And Sergio is a friendly guy.

Scorpio

Since you're in Arlington, you might also want to consider Pie Tanza in the Lee Harrison shopping center in North Arlington and also Sette Bello in Clarendon. I've only had pizza at the latter, and while it's a trendy place, if you like super thin crust pizza, they have the standbys as well as some more gourmet pizzas that I really enjoy.

• 1 month later...
What's good at Vicino? The white pizza, the veal roast, the sausage dishes. My wife loves the marinara sauce there.

For pasta, especially ravioli, try Sergio's on Colesville Road in the Hilton Hotel. Ravioli is a specialty there. Cost is a notch up from Vicino and portions are smaller, but worth it. And Sergio is a friendly guy.

Ella's is pretty much the best pizza i've had in the area...I like it better than Patsy's in NYC and I think it beats out Sette, which I work right next to and eat at all the time, as well as Paradiso. Italian store in Arlington is great as well.

Ella's is pretty much the best pizza i've had in the area...I like it better than Patsy's in NYC and I think it beats out Sette, which I work right next to and eat at all the time, as well as Paradiso. Italian store in Arlington is great as well.

The one time I had Ella's, it was truly dreadful. I mean, never go back again and make a face every time you walk by it from then on dreadful.

Matchbox is not to my taste, but its pie does demand respect.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I have been a fan of Matchbox since it opened, however my last visit was a disappointment (other than the miniburgers). The crust of my prosciutto white was flat and lifeless. Not flat like a crackery thin crust pizza. Simply flat and lacking in flavor.

I'm with Busboy on Ella's. Garbage. Worse at happy hour.

Vace in Cleveland Park. Delicious as a slice to go. Delicious as a par-baked, carry out tray. Just delicious.