• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pegu Club

slkinsey

I was there last night too, also a first-timer. I'm afraid the drinks I had weren't as interesting as those Pan mentioned, though not bad by any means. A couple of times I saw something going out, and said, "Now, why didn't I order that?" By then I'd had three, which was enough for one evening.

I was there last night too, also a first-timer. I'm afraid the drinks I had weren't as interesting as those Pan mentioned, though not bad by any means. A couple of times I saw something going out, and said, "Now, why didn't I order that?" By then I'd had three, which was enough for one evening.

Do you remember what drinks you had?

There are old standards on the Pegu menu that I just crave. Two of which -- Little Italy and French Pearl -- go down as some of the best drinks i've ever had.

I think I'll head out there tonight, lol, gettin' thirsty.

Do you remember what drinks you had?

There are old standards on the Pegu menu that I just crave.  Two of which -- Little Italy and French Pearl -- go down as some of the best drinks i've ever had.

Actually, I had both of those — the first suggested by the bartender, the second my own choice. I wouldn't go so far as "best drinks I've ever had," but both were very good.

The one that slightly disappointed me was the Poquito Picante (?sp). I was expecting it to pack some heat, but the jalapeno pepper floating on top seemed merely decorative. (Update: review here.)

Edited by oakapple (log)

By the way, I don't know if it's been mentioned that it's under the same ownership as the Zinc Bar catty-corner to it.

Not that it's particularly important, but for the sake of clarity: this is only partly true. The owners of Zinc Bar are among the owners of Pegu Club. Audrey Saunders is also an owner.

--

What is the crowd like during the week?  If one shows up around 5:30 tomorrow (Wednesday) with only one other person, is it easy to get a seat?

Thanks.  KOBI

yes, you and your companion will probably be the only people there. if i had to guess, you'd get 2 seats with no problem until 7ish.

What is the crowd like during the week?  If one shows up around 5:30 tomorrow (Wednesday) with only one other person, is it easy to get a seat?

Thanks.  KOBI

I walked in at around that time last Thursday, and I was the first customer.

Great, thanks so much!!

Visited Pegu for the first time last night. Got one of the last big tables for my party of six shortly before 8 pm. Space is big, more mature than a lot of the other cocktail spots if lacking a bit in distinctive character. Very competent waitress service for my non-cocktailian friends.

Tried a bunch of my friend's drinks. The only I didn't like was actually the Pegu Club cocktail. Favorite was the Pisco Punch, a sweet drink but nice for the summer. On the drier side, really enjoyed the Kill Devil too.

A nice spot whose size probably makes it easier to get into than PDT and D&Co.

• 1 month later...

Even though I enjoyed Pegu Club so much in its first two years my loyalty's drifted down to B Flat and I hadn't been back in quite a while, it seems to have lost something. The menu's been reorganized and their food offerings cut in half to a single page. I passed on eating but just looking up this thread right now and at Oakapple's blog, the food presentation has become less refined too. And were the drinks always so expensive? All the cocktails on the menu are about $12, but I ordered a margarita at one point and it was $18. I didn't ask for any specific tequila and I just didn't expect that, I don't think any similar bar charges as much except for Bemelmans.

After ordering drinks our waitress had to come around again to confirm our order - it was wrong - then only one drink came. She knew our order but delivered two more tables their drinks before delivering my date hers which was just odd and water we requested never came even after two rounds of drinks did. Then a man I'm guessing was either security or a manager, dressed in a suit, watched closely over us as we paid and left but never asked us how everything was. (He looked like he was worried we'd just bail on the check. Who behaves that way? If you think a customer is exiting disappointed, find out why.) I'd never had such an odd, uncomfortable evening in an intimate place I used to enjoy so much. The place was little more than half full and there seemed no good explanation for it.

The good news however is the drinks were excellent, and I tried one of the best Gin Gin Mules I've had in quite a while.

Even though I enjoyed Pegu Club so much in its first two years my loyalty's drifted down to B Flat and I hadn't been back in quite a while, it seems to have lost something. The menu's been reorganized and their food offerings cut in half to a single page. I passed on eating but just looking up this thread right now and at Oakapple's blog, the food presentation has become less refined too. And were the drinks always so expensive? All the cocktails on the menu are about $12, but I ordered a margarita at one point and it was $18. I didn't ask for any specific tequila and I just didn't expect that, I don't think any similar bar charges as much except for Bemelmans.

After ordering drinks our waitress had to come around again to confirm our order - it was wrong - then only one drink came. She knew our order but delivered two more tables their drinks before delivering my date hers which was just odd and water we requested never came even after two rounds of drinks did. Then a man I'm guessing was either security or a manager, dressed in a suit, watched closely over us as we paid and left but never asked us how everything was. (He looked like he was worried we'd just bail on the check. Who behaves that way? If you think a customer is exiting disappointed, find out why.) I'd never had such an odd, uncomfortable evening in an intimate place I used to enjoy so much. The place was little more than half full and there seemed no good explanation for it.

The good news however is the drinks were excellent, and I tried one of the best Gin Gin Mules I've had in quite a while.

Unfortunately table service is indeed a weakness, but it's a weakness most cocktail bars in pegu's circle suffer from. It's not 100% guaranteed but 99.9% of the time you'll have a much better experience at the bar. I understand sometimes sitting at the bar isn't really an option (it's too crowded, you have a party larger than 3, etc.) but if at all possible that's the way to go.

I was at Pegu a couple weekends ago and had a great experience. I found the drinks to be excellent as always and since the place was kinda empty I had a wonderful time talking to the bartender. These guys love what they do and when you get an opportunity to talk shop they really open up.

Regarding the 18 dollar Margarita. . . . .i'm not totally sure about that one, but I have ordered off menu drinks before and the prices have been all over the place (from $16-19), no explanation was given but I didn't ask either. I'm sure it has to do with what kind of booze they're using.

I was at the bar last night...it's as good as ever IMO.  some nice new drinks on the menu too.  some empty seats when we arrived at 9:30/10.  packed when we left around midnight.

Did you have anything to eat, Nathan...I've heard rumors of a new, respected chef cooking there now.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was at the bar last night...it's as good as ever IMO.  some nice new drinks on the menu too.  some empty seats when we arrived at 9:30/10.  packed when we left around midnight.

Did you have anything to eat, Nathan...I've heard rumors of a new, respected chef cooking there now.

I'll confess to not having food there in a couple years.

I did eat at Barbuto earlier (I can't recall the food....Heidi Klum was eating a couple tables over and she's rather....uh......distracting.)

All the cocktails on the menu are about $12, but I ordered a margarita at one point and it was $18. I didn't ask for any specific tequila and I just didn't expect that, I don't think any similar bar charges as much except for Bemelmans.

t's been $12 for regular cocktails and $16 for champagne cocktails since the day the doors opened. And I don't think that's particularly expensive for a Manhattan cocktail lounge of Pegu's caliber. As far as I know, this is what they're all charging. I think Milk & Honey is now charging $15 across the board!

If you were charged $18 for a "regular" Margarita, I have to believe this was a mistake. If it involved some kind of extremely expensive tequila or mezal, it might maybe get up to 18 bucks... but I have a hard time seeing that happening, especially if you didn't ask for it. The thing to do, by the way, would have been to ask for an explanation of the charge before going out on the internet to imply that they were jacking up the price on you.

--

Well I don't think I went out on the internet to attack the place. I think this is a forum for debating this sort of thing. I'd rather get the consultation of regulars than have bothered myself to argue over a few dollars. Why should I leave the bar fussing over the check? I also wrote the menu and presentation changed and the drinks were good as ever. But service was a failure in my perspective and the price of a drink was element of it. I take no issue with $12 - $16 drinks, I never wrote I did. But if I didn't ask for any particular tequila and if the waitress didn't ask what kind I wanted, I'm just saying I thought $18 was a lot. Obviously you yourself think that price is a mistake. If the point of eGullet isn't for discussing this sort of thing, then why is there a forum for Pegu Club in the first place? It's not like I'm being pedantic inaccurate or uncivil.

Edited by adamru (log)

So, we stopped by Pegu Club last night for a couple of drinks...as Sam said, most drinks are $12 and the Champagne cocktails are $16.

The new food menu is a work in progress, and the new chef is Phillipe, who until very recently was cooking at Jimmy's #43 - on East 7th St. Anyone who has eaten there knows what a great cook he is, and I'm looking forward to seeing (and eating) his food at Pegu. FWIW, last night we were going out to dinner somewhere else, so we didn't want to fill up on any of the food at Pegu - well, except for a couple of snacks which were just fine, but not revelatory.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Dropped in last night for a few drinks and some food. I think the new menu is crystzalizing (or fully set) -- there's a blurb about its Asianish provenance and such. Anyway, the food was extremely tasty; we had tuna crudo (nice quality fish, simple but tasty), duck crostini (three pieces, heavily sauced but very nice tasting), crab rolls (wrapped in cucumber, cold and excellent), and summer rolls (just veggies -- very yummy and fresh tasing).

The food was excellent, though the portions are pretty uniformly tiny; you could go through a lot of time (and money) trying to make a meal out of them.

Any recs for proximal post-Pegu snacking?

• 2 weeks later...