• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream in Paris

docsconz

I did a search on eGullet and can't believe that there is no topic comparing Parisian ice cream places! What piqued my interest is Louisa Chu's excellent articles in her blog, A Movable Feast, on three different ice cream places. So far Berthillon is the only one I have tried, back when I was last in Paris in 1999. I loved it then. My most memorable flavor was Armagnac and Raisin. It is a must for my wife and I to revisit now and bring our children. Others mentioned by Louisa include Pierre Herme's ice cream sandwiches and gelato from Amorino.

What and where are your favorites? Any good ice cream stories?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I did a search on eGullet and can't believe that there is no topic comparing Parisian ice cream places! What piqued my interest is Louisa Chu's excellent articles in her blog, A Movable Feast, on three different ice cream places. So far Berthillon is the only one I have tried, back when I was last in Paris in 1999. I loved it then. My most memorable flavor was Armagnac and Raisin. It is a must for my wife and I to revisit now and bring our children. Others mentioned by Louisa include Pierre Herme's ice cream sandwiches and gelato from Amorino.

Stories no, stores yes.

I'd second Louisa on Berthillion and Amorino (the Vavin branch is perfect after running your 6-year-old out in the Luxembourg).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I thought that Dalloyau (2, place Edmond-Rostand) near Luxembourg Gardens had excellent ice cream. Amorino, just on the other side of the park, is very good, too. What could be better than a warm summer stroll through Le Luxembourg while eating some really good gelato/ice cream? Ahh... Paris!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Ice cream has been the subject of discussion here on eGullet and I recall Margaret Pilgim recommending a place on the left bank not far from Notre Dame that she thought surpassed Berthillon. Besides, I seem to recall that Berthillon closes and takes a good holiday in the summer. This is Paris and not NY.

Aha, here it is, Dammann's (fabulous) ice cream in Paris, 1, rue de Grande Degres, 5. It's just off the quai de Montebello towards where it becons the quai de la Tournelle behind Notre Dame.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Berthillion was closed when we were there in late July, but there were a couple of other places on the Ile St-Louis selling their ice cream out front windows. They both had significant lines and were hard to miss. I also recall that the cafe on the east end of the island, facing the back of Notre Dame, also serves it year round.

There's An Ice Cream Love Story from the Bonjour Paris web site, you may find interesting. It's about Dammann's but there's a list of some other glacières at the end of the page including Berthillon, le Bac á Glaces, Glacier Calabrese, Pascal Le Glacier, not to mention Basken Robbins and Haagen-Dazs.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Ice cream has been the subject of discussion here on eGullet and I recall Margaret Pilgim recommending a place on the left bank not far from Notre Dame that she thought surpassed Berthillon. Besides, I seem to recall that Berthillon closes and takes a good holiday in the summer. This is Paris and not NY.

Aha, here it is, Dammann's (fabulous) ice cream in Paris, 1, rue de Grande Degres, 5. It's just off the quai de Montebello towards where it becons the quai de la Tournelle behind Notre Dame.

Yes, there are other threads about specific ice cream places in Paris and there are mentions of ice creams in other threads, but I couldn't find a topic exploring ice cream in all its glory throughout Paris. This surprised me. I felt this oversight needed to be remedied.

What are some of the best flavors or concotions ? The macaroon sandwiches Louisa described at Hermes look and sound devine.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

There's An Ice Cream Love Story from the Bonjour Paris web site, you may find interesting. It's about Dammann's but there's a list of some other glacières at the end of the page including Berthillon, le Bac á Glaces, Glacier Calabrese, Pascal Le Glacier, not to mention Basken Robbins and Haagen-Dazs.

Thanks for the link. I know two I won't be visiting. :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

Incredible; as I'm reading this I'm thumbing through receipts and chance on last month's from Damman's Montebello for 11 Euros, I can taste the coffee's intensity now. It's another fine place.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I love Damman's as well and normally go there because there's never a line, which isn't the case at Berthillon's.

For some reason I'm not an Amorino's fan.

Another I've tried that was quite good was on rue Mouffetard; it's the one where they shape the ice cream into a rose. I think it's called Octave. but there's another on rue Mouffetard as well, so I could be mixing them up.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

My favorite's also Berthillon. I love their cassis sorbet. When they're closed in the summer, there's a cafe on the Champs d'Elysee that carries their ice cream (it has a sign in the window).

I adore Berthillon for their classic French ice cream flavors such as Caramel, Chocolat noir, Noisette, et Pistache. A double scoop cone (un cornet double) with Chocolat noir et Pistache would make a classic French combination. Berthillon also serves refreshing fruit sorbets and a decadent chocolate sorbet. For a delicious combination, try un cornet double with Cacao "Extra Bitter" et Mandarine.

Their website, where the flavors are listed, is at: http://www.berthillon-glacier.fr/

The boutique on the Champs-Elysees, which carries chocolates and pastries, in addition to the Berthillon ice creams and sorbets, is called "Berthillon Maiffret" and is located at 102, avenue des Champs-Elysees in the 8th arrondissement. The nearest Metro is George V. Unlike the original Maison Berthillon located on 31, rue Saint-Louis-en-l'île, which is closed on Mondays & Tuesdays, the Champs-Elysees boutique is open every day from late morning to late evening. Just to be sure of their hours, their telephone is: (33) 01 45 62 55 17.

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

Unfortunately the link for Berthillon is not currently working. I did a search thru Google and got the same thing. I suspect that it is a glitch on their end.

Twitter - @docsconz

Unfortunately the link for Berthillon is not currently working. I did a search thru Google and got the same thing. I suspect that it is a glitch on their end.

Tant pis! Are you in Paris? The internet can be tricky there sometimes. The link is working just fine here in the Berkshires. I guess you and your family will just have to step outside, take a stroll down the Champs-Elysees, and sample the Berthillon glaces et sorbets for yourselves. Bon appetit!

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

Tant pis! Are you in Paris? The internet can be tricky there sometimes. The link is working just fine here in the Berkshires. I guess you and your family will just have to step outside, take a stroll down the Champs-Elysees, and sample the Berthillon glaces et sorbets for yourselves. Bon appetit!

Not in Paris yet, but soon. :smile: It's funny, but the link still doesn't work for me. I don't think it is what you posted since I did a separate search on Google and got the same URL which still didn't work. Odd :wacko: As you say, I'll just have to find out the easy way!

Twitter - @docsconz

Not in Paris yet, but soon. :smile: It's funny, but the link still doesn't work for me. I don't think it is what you posted since I did a separate search on Google and got the same URL which still didn't work. Odd :wacko: As you say, I'll just have to find out the easy way!

my trifecta: the ice cream shop on rue du bac just before conran shop; the conran shop; then the bon marche (fashion then food in the grande epicerie).

• 3 weeks later...
Curious if others like Pierre Herme's ice cream sandwiches.  We didn't -- found them sort of dry and overdone and stiff, a bit like ice cream in a fancy corset.  The shop was exciting but when we got them out to St. Sulpice to eat we took a few nibbles and threw the rest away.

I sampled two different Ms. Gla-Gla's. I liked them both, though I found the Ispahan too sweet for me. The caramel I thought was outstanding. Curiously, I failed to get photos of them :wacko:

At Berthillon I was disappointed with the fraise du bois. I found it a bit too icy. The extra bitter chocolate was sensational though. The peach was ok, but too sweet.

Twitter - @docsconz

To me the best ice creams are as follows:

La Maison du Chocolat - In the warm months they sell a limited but fabulous assortmnent of classic flavors.

Chocolatier Christian Constant - At his 37 Rue d'Assas location a similarly fabulous assortment of house made ice creams and sorbets.

Best of All, go to lunch or dinner at Jamin. Their hosue made ice creams and sorbets are good to the extreme.

At Berthillon I was disappointed with the fraise du bois. I found it a bit too icy. The extra bitter chocolate was sensational though. The peach was ok, but too sweet.

There are many places that sell Berthillon, particularly on the Ile St. Louis. I have been disappointed several times by shops that handle the ice cream poorly, apparently letting it partially thaw and refreeze. I've never found the ice cream or sorbets icy at the main store. However, I also was disappointed with the fraise du bois. It lacked the intense concentration of flavor that I associate with Berthillon, even in their more sublte flavors (e.g., pear).

There are many places that sell Berthillon, particularly on the Ile St. Louis. I have been disappointed several times by shops that handle the ice cream poorly, apparently letting it partially thaw and refreeze. I've never found the ice cream or sorbets icy at the main store. However, I also was disappointed with the fraise du bois. It lacked the intense concentration of flavor that I associate with Berthillon, even in their more sublte flavors (e.g., pear).

I made a point of getting it at the main store on Ile St. Louis, where I had been before. Perhaps the fraise du bois were not quite in season. Perhaps the ice ream was freshly made with frozen strawberries. However and whenever it was made, it certainly didn't live upto my admittedly high expectations. The bitter chocolate, however, fortunately did, so it wasn't a total disappointment.

Twitter - @docsconz

There is a small ice cream shop on the rue de Buci across from the Champion grocery store that makes wonderful ice creams. I regret I did not make a note of the name! My husband went in for ice cream and I went to Jean-Pierre Carton for a bag of thin almond cookies that I love. BIG MISTAKE on my part!! The sorbet he had was INCREDIBLE--intense fruit flavor and perfect consistency. I would have gone in but there was a line but at least I had the wonderful cookies.

I don't think it is a Berthillon shop--I wish I had been more attentive!