• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

any fellow tail-gaters out there?

Lan4Dawg

Menus for this season are ready! I also have an appropriate cocktail and wine for each meal. If you are a college foot ball fan--esp. an SEC fan you will get most of the twists.

Picture Day, 18th August (Athens)—Assuming it will be hot as blazes I thought of some thing geared towards the heat.

Lemon-Oregano Chicken Shish-Ke-Bobs with Tzatziki over Rice Pilaf, Cucumber Salad Cava

Oklahoma State Cowboys, 1st September (Athens)—What could be more “cow boy” than…(I even adapted it from A Cowboy in the Kitchen cook book)

Chicken-Fried Steak with Cracked Pepper Gravy and Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Chopped IceBerg and Blue Cheese Salad Cowboy Cocktail / Petite Syrah

South Carolina Game Cocks, 8th September (Athens)—What can you say?

Herb-Marinated Grilled Game Hens with Cheese and Bacon Grits, Garnet Slaw Fighting Cock Bourbon Manhattan / Beaujolais

Western Carolina Catamounts, 15th September (Athens)—I had to do some thing Appalachian in nature…

Appalachian Ham and Black-eyed Peas with Collards and Corn Bread

CatDaddy Moonshine Martinis /Pinot Noir

Alabama Crimson Tide, 22nd September (Tuscaloosa)—Hopefully it will not be as hot as last time we played over there but the out come will be the same

Pan Sautéed Elephant Ears in a Crimson Tide Gravy over Orecchiette, Caesar Salad Crimson / Sangiovese

Ole Miss Rebels, 29th September (Athens)—Mississippi being catfish country and all--this is from our friends in the heart of the Delta

Herbed and Grilled Catfish Fillets from Indianola Mississippi with Rebel Rice, Fried Green Tomatoes Hotty Totty / Dry Riesling

Tennessee “philbillies”, 6th October (“ob”knoxville)—this was just too good to let pass

Pumpkin Chili with Pumpkin Muffins, Orange Citrus Salad

Orange Buck / Pumpkin Ale & Malbec

Vanderbilt Commodores, 13th October (Nashville)—pay back is gonna be ugly

“show us your black, show us your gold” Seafood Risotto, Spinach Salad with Gold and Black Sesame Vinaigrette

Vanderbilt Cocktail / White Bordeaux

florida gators, 27th October (Jax)—we are seriously OVER due and I found a local source for alligator sausage!

Alligator Sausage Perlo, Orange and “Alligator Pear” Salad

Florida Cocktail / Australian Shiraz

Troy Trojans, 3rd November (Athens)—okay, I know we had sausage the week previous but I could not help my self (truth be told I really thought about “rubber chicken” or at least some thing covered) I mean they are the ‘Trojans” after all.

Assorted Grilled Sausages with Appropriate “Condom”ents, Macaroni and Cheese, Mixed Vegetable Slaw White Horse Scotch Manhattans (think about it) / light Spanish Red(?)

Auburn “PlainsTigleEagersmen”, 10th November (Athens)—Just choose a mascot and be done with it!

War Chicken a la Orange (and Blue) with Orange and Coriander Dressing and orange liqueur scented Haricots Verts Tiger’s Milk / Rhone

Kentucky Wildcats, 17th November (Athens)—The second of the great pay backs! It is not Lexington but a bit farther north in Louisville for a classic Kentucky menu:

Original Hot Brown Sandwiches, Kentucky Limestone Salad with Creamy Raspberry Dressing all from the Brown Hotel in Louisville Mint Juleps

(why the hell not we are doing a Louisville menu / Carmenere

the blight on north avenue, 24th November (Atlanta)—What is this? Eight in a row?

Yellow Chicken “Bill” Curry with Yukon Gold Potatoes, Mixed Greens Salad with Old Gold Peppers and White Pepper Vinaigrette

Changuirongo (it is an actual cocktail!) /Gewürztraminer

HDHD

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

It's been a long time since my last stroll in the Grove---between classes or just on shady afternoons, I and Miss Jane Austen spent quite a few hours cross-legged in the grass, soaking in the sunbeams and wandering the moors.

I know a mimosa and a John Collins, but despite all my years as a G.R.I.T.S. girl, never have I heard of a Magnolia. It conjures vanilla and perhaps a whisper of pernod. Wildest hopes pinned on a shot of 'Shine. Recipe?

If I can toot Thomas' horn a little, he comes up with great recipes and is serious about his tailgating (my Tar Heels could take some lessons).

And in a little more horn tooting...some of Thomas' recipes are in my brand-new tailgate cookbook, "Fan Fare: A Playbook of Great Recipes for Tailgating or Enjoying the Game at Home," published by Harvard Common Press. Many fans were kind enough to share their food, tips and experiences with me.

Debbie

It's been a long time since my last stroll in the Grove---between classes or just on shady afternoons, I and Miss Jane Austen spent quite a few hours cross-legged in the grass, soaking in the sunbeams and wandering the moors.

I know a mimosa and a John Collins, but despite all my years as a G.R.I.T.S. girl, never have I heard of a Magnolia.  It conjures vanilla and perhaps a whisper of pernod.  Wildest hopes pinned on a shot of 'Shine.  Recipe?

Sorry I could not find my copy of "A Gracious Plenty"....It is taken from the Junior League of Monroe, Louisiana's cook book, "Celebrations on the Bayou".

3 1/4 c fresh orange juice, chilled

1 fifth Champagne, chilled

1/3 c Grand Marnier

orange slices or mint spris, for garnish

Combine the juice and Champagne in a large bowl or pitcher. Pour into eight glasses; drizzle 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier over each. Garnish as desired. Serve immediately.

John T. Edge notes it is a take on the Mimosa theme

the best cat ever.

haha nice menu Lan4Dawg!

This was one of the "Welcome to the South" moments for us since the closest thing we have to college sports in Manhattan is (don't laugh) Columbia University and the rest of NYC not doing much better with St. John hoops.

The children however are learning right from their school mates whose parents, as you can imagine run their school colors up the flag pole in the fall. Works for me too!! Saturday is typically honey-do day round here....any excuse to say "Honey, but but the game is on!"

Enjoy the season!

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

what's a vanderbilt cocktail?

these cocktails really do exist. I used cocktaildb, the New York Bartender's Guide, &c as sources. The Vanderbilt:

4 parts brandy (2 oz)

2 parts cherry brandy (1 oz)

bar sUGAr (1/2 t)

Angostura bitters (3 dashes)

combine ingredients in cocktail shaker over ice, shake well, strain in to cocktail glass

HDHD

the best cat ever.

• 2 months later...
so how was your tailgate? any pics?

i would've liked to come by but i was roped in to volunteering at the tailgate tent all afternoon until kickoff. :(

i hope you had fun at the game! i did!

Things went very well (thank you for asking) but no pictures. The sea food risotto was a hit w/ every one. The only issue was w/ the salad. I specifically do a black and gold sesame vinaigrette just for Vandy but add the sesame seeds to the salad as I dress it. Imagine my surprise when I got home and was un-packing only to find the package of mixed, toasted sesame seeds that I had forgotten to add to the salad---duh!

That was some game but as I told an acquaintance as we were leaving--if I did not drink before that would have started it.

Oh & speaking of drinking the Vanderbilt cocktail was very popular. Fuss decided she liked it enough to make it a part of her cocktail "itinerary".

On a side note: Flyte was absolutely fantastic but Hawg Heaven has lost some thing since the last time we sampled them. If I realized I was as close to Rotier's and Elliston Place Soda Shop we would have just wandered over in that direction.

HDHD

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

the best cat ever.

• 9 months later...

new menus for 2008 season....

heading to Arizona is going to be an adventure (esp. since I do not fly!)

note: I do not have access to tickets but you are more than welcome to stop by for a visit--especially at away games.

Menus for 2008

Georgia Southern Eagles: Athens, 30th August

Smoked Golden Eagle Salad on Pita w/ Vidalia Onion Aioli and South Georgia Vegetable Slaw

Chenin Blanc/Gin Southern Cocktail (2 oz gin, ½ oz curacao, dash org bitters)

Central Michigan Chippewas: Athens, 6th September

“Chippewaed” Beef on Toast Points, Mixed Vegetable Stir-Fry

Malbec/Indian Cocktail (1 ½ oz sloe gin, ½ oz dry vermouth, orange bitters)

SoCar GameCocks: Cola, 13th September

GameCock-a-leekie , Spinach Salad w/ Garnet Dressing (sun-dried tomato vinaigrette)

Beaujolais/Columbia Cocktail (1 ½ oz rum, ½ oz lemon, ½ oz raspberry syrup)

Arizona State SunDevils: Tempe, 20th September

Sun-Devilled Ham Salad, Sun-Devilled Eggs

Washington Pinot Gris/Fire-Eating Devil Cocktail (1 ½ oz Sloe Gin, ½ oz Sw & Dry Vermouth, Orange Bitters, Lemon Twist)

Alabama Crimson Tide: Athens, 27th September

Sliced Elephant Trunk (pork loin) in Crimson Cabbage

Cotes du Rhone/Alabama Cocktail (3/4 oz lemon juice, ¼ t sUGAr, 1 ½ oz Brandy, ¼ oz Orange Curacao, Orange Twist)

Philbillies: Athens, 11th October

Grilled Beef Ribs w/ Big Orange and “Smokey”ed Paprika Sauce, Orange Scented Couscous

Tempranillo/Rocky Dune (1 oz Gin, ½ oz Cherry Heering, ½ oz Dry Vermouth, ¼ oz Kirsch, Lemon Twist)

Vanderbilt Commodores: Athens, 18th October

“Show us your Black / Show us your Gold” Pasta Primavera (use black and gold pasta)

Domestic Sauvignon Blanc/Commodore Cocktail #2 (3/4 oz Lemon Juice, ¾ t sUGAr, 1 ½ oz Bourbon or Rye, orange bitters)

LSU Tigers: Baton Rouge (et noir), 25th October

Tiger Shrimp Etouffee, Cajun Slaw

Gewurtztraminer/Bayou Cocktail (1 ½ oz Brandy, ¼ oz Peach Brandy, ½ oz Mango Nectar, ¼ oz Lime, Peach Slice Garnish)

Florida Gators: Jacksonville, 1st November

Friday at CR: NOLA Shrimp, Okra, Tomato Sauté over Polenta (?)

Saturday: Gator Sausage Gumbo Ya Ya, Alligator Pear Salad

Shiraz/Syrah/Alligator Cocktail (1 oz Orgeat, 1 ½ oz Gin, dash Lemon Water)

Kentucky Wildcats: Lexington, 8th November

Kentucky Bourbon Marinated Flank Steak w/ Bourbon “Gravy”, Mashed Potatoes and “BlueGrass” Salad.

Cabernet Sauvignon/Kentucky Bourbon Manhattans

The aubies: Auburn, 15th November

War Eagle, Tiger Shrimp, and Plainsmen Sausage Jambalaya, Caesar Salad

Sangiovese/there really is an Auburn cocktail! (1 oz OJ, ½ oz Galliano, ¼ oz Cr de Cassis, 1 oz Vodka)

The blight: Athens, 29th November

In light of the fact that the blight hired a former Navy coach and his “spread” offense along with the problems of our friend Little Joe…

Sea food Sloppy Little Joe’s Spread over Yellow Corn Bread with Old Gold and White Sautéed Potatoes and “Drunken” Green Beans

Domestic Viognier/Golden Hornet (1 ½ oz Gin, ½ oz Scotch, ½ oz Sherry, Lemon Twist)

the best cat ever.

we're getting our season tix this week for vandy - some pretty good home games this year (south carolina, auburn, florida, tennessee). i think we may try and go down to oxford for the ole miss game and possibly atlanta for the uva/ga tech game. i went to uva for college, and it's a lot easier to get to atlanta than c'ville for games.

not sure what we're doing for tailgating this year, if anything. vandyville still leaves something to be desired and i guarantee i won't be able to get spot in lot A.

My friends and I tailgate at home being as we are all LSU fans. It's a shame LSU is an away game, my friends are all from NOLA. It would be a blast to score some tix and join you guys for some tailgating, maybe bring something fun like mini-muffalettas with the bread shipped in from NOLA. You just can't get bread here like they bake there.

Which reminds me, there is a snowcone place selling poboys down the street from where Six Feet Under used to be that brings in their french bread from New Orleans. Good Stuff.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

My friends and I tailgate at home being as we are all LSU fans. It's a shame LSU is an away game, my friends are all from NOLA. It would be a blast to score some tix and join you guys for some tailgating, maybe bring something fun like mini-muffalettas with the bread shipped in from NOLA. You just can't get bread here like they bake there.

Which reminds me, there is a snowcone place selling poboys down the street from where Six Feet Under used to be that brings in their french bread from New Orleans. Good Stuff.

You should "road trip" to Baton Rouge (et noir). We will be there and hopefully in our usual spot under the oaks in front of the student union.

Six Feet Under "used to be"? Have they moved already? I thought that was not until later in the year. And just the Grant Park location if memory serves. Where is this place b/c I might be in the need for a good po' boy in the near future and can be persuaded to head to Grant Park.

the best cat ever.

we're getting our season tix this week for vandy - some pretty good home games this year (south carolina, auburn, florida, tennessee).  i think we may try and go down to oxford for the ole miss game and possibly atlanta for the uva/ga tech game.  i went to uva for college, and it's a lot easier to get to atlanta than c'ville for games.

not sure what we're doing for tailgating this year, if anything.  vandyville still leaves something to be desired and i guarantee i won't be able to get spot in lot A.

We will probably be looking for a new tail gate spot up there next season. We were informed that some of the school's neighbors complained about alcohol on their grounds so they were planning to forbid it completely next season (how they are going to do that w/ all of the motor homes parked there is beyond me but....)

Any suggestions are more than welcome. The folks at Vandy proper are not real accomodating.

HDHD

the best cat ever.

You should "road trip" to Baton Rouge (et noir). We will be there and hopefully in our usual spot under the oaks in front of the student union.

Six Feet Under "used to be"? Have they moved already? I thought that was not until later in the year. And just the Grant Park location if memory serves. Where is this place b/c I might be in the need for a good po' boy in the near future and can be persuaded to head to Grant Park.

re: six feet under- I had heard they were moving and had heard something was going in their place via Micropundit and had assumed it had already taken place.

As for Po'boys, my NOLA buddy just came back from his cousin's wedding and brought a treasure trove of goodies. Boiled shrimps and crabs, shrimp and roast beef po'boys, and Community Iced Teas. Now if only they had brought Barq's in the bottle. (can't get it in glass bottles here)

The Po'boy place here is called Just Loaf'n 313 Boulevard, Atlanta, GA

Phone 404-525-4001

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Lan4Dawg - fantastic menu. I am no where near that far along with my planning. This - "sea food Sloppy Little Joe’s Spread over Yellow Corn Bread" - sounds especially good!

Virginia's first game is vs. USC Trojans on 8/30. Game time is 12:30, my least favorite time for tailgating. We always visit with some folks who have a spot right at the stadium and so have to leave our tailgate at least 1 1/2 hours before the game starts. Breakfast tailgating is really one meal I'd just as soon purchase somewhere and eat car-side with the Post. If Mr. Kim insists on true tailgating, I'll probably make Scotch eggs with my new deep fryer (we'll eat those cold) and serve with some fruit salad and sweet rolls. We can't do our tailgating after the game for this one because we are hitting the road immediately to head down to NC for the rest of the weekend.

Lan4Dawg  - fantastic menu.  I am no where near that far along with my planning.  This - "sea food Sloppy Little Joe’s Spread over Yellow Corn Bread" - sounds especially good! 

Virginia's first game is vs. USC Trojans on 8/30.  Game time is 12:30, my least favorite time for tailgating.  We always visit with some folks who have a spot right at the stadium and so have to leave our tailgate at least 1 1/2 hours before the game starts.  Breakfast tailgating is really one meal I'd just as soon purchase somewhere and eat car-side with the Post.  If Mr. Kim insists on true tailgating, I'll probably make Scotch eggs with my new deep fryer (we'll eat those cold) and serve with some fruit salad and sweet rolls. We can't do our tailgating after the game for this one because we are hitting the road immediately to head down to NC for the rest of the weekend.

Thx Kim; if you knew the full story about the sea food "Sloppy Little Joe's...." you would definitely appreciate it but it is some what involved.

Fuss likes the early games and eating afterward but I dislike it as there is so much to do in such a short time (not to mention a group of vultures standing/sitting around just waiting for you to finish cooking!)

UGA has banned deep fryers fr/ university grounds b/c of potential issues (& in some ways I can under stand as I had to put out more than one fire fr/ idiots who had no idea what they were doing when trying to fry a turkey.) but I assume you mean you will make them at home and then transport (hence the "cold"). You could do assorted grilled sausages--playing the Trojans.....get it? ":^)

I did an omelet station for breakfast tailgate once. It went relatively well as I prepped every thing and just had to cook eggs at the site. Another time we did french toast w/ assorted toppings--mixed fruit, whipped cream, pecans, assorted syrups, &c. and that worked well but on the whole I agree w/ you about breakfast. It is not really tailgating.

Good luck w/ the tailgate and the game and have a safe trip to NC.

the best cat ever.

as a hoo, i am not too confident in this season. that usc game is not going to be pretty. i may try and make it down to the ga tech game, but i don't know if that will happen. it's a lot easier to follow my dores since i stayed in nashville after graduating from law school.

i hope you have fun in c'ville!

lan, any suggestions for trips to ole miss? i'm probably going down for the vandy/ole miss game this year since i'll be in memphis on fri for work and it's a short drive down. looking forward to tailgating at the grove and checking out the campus. any dining suggestions or must sees?

as a hoo, i am not too confident in this season.  that usc game is not going to be pretty.  i may try and make it down to the ga tech game, but i don't know if that will happen.  it's a lot easier to follow my dores since i stayed in nashville after graduating from law school. 

i hope you have fun in c'ville!

lan, any suggestions for trips to ole miss?  i'm probably going down for the vandy/ole miss game this year since i'll be in memphis on fri for work and it's a short drive down.  looking forward to tailgating at the grove and checking out the campus.  any dining suggestions or must sees?

There are some phenomenal restaurants on the square in Oxford. City Grocery is probably the best known (& arguably the best). Taylor Grocery for fried cat fish is an institution. Just note that every thing is going to be jammed on game w/e's.

We usually stay at one of the state parks just o/s of Oxford as finding a hotel room in Oxford proper on game w/e is about close to impossible. Oxford is a lovely, quaint town and the university is a beautiful setting. Having said that tailgating at the Grove has become nothing short of a circus. Hopefully you are not claustrophobic b/c it is nothing but canopy to canopy to canopy to canopy and an absolute crush of people and it is full at the crack of dawn. They also do not allow "open flames" so you have to think about what you might want to take and not do any cooking while there. We usually set up over near the base ball fields where there is more space and less hassle. (There is some thing about Ole Miss how ever: where else would you see an absolutely drop dead gorgeous co-ed dressed to the nines in an out fit costing several hundred dollars and wearing high heels walking along w/ a beer in one hand and pulling a cooler full of beer w/ the other?--except may be Athens.....)

the best cat ever.