• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinach

Milt

My wife has asked me to make use of all of the time I spend reading these messages.

What is the best way to remove excess water from a package of frozen spinach? Frequently, she has not thought so far ahead as to thaw a package in the refrigerator. Typicaly, she will defrost it in the microwave and then squeeze by hand - causing her hands to get very cold. Is there a better way?

My wife has asked me to make use of all of the time I spend reading these messages.

What is the best way to remove excess water from a package of frozen spinach?  Frequently, she has not thought so far ahead as to thaw a package in the refrigerator.  Typicaly, she will defrost it in the microwave and then squeeze by hand - causing her hands to get very cold.  Is there a better way?

Got a ricer? My favorite way to get rid of the water from spinach (or shredded zucchini, for that matter) is to put a handful or two into my potato ricer, held over the sink, and squeeze!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

What is the best way to remove excess water from a package of frozen spinach?  Frequently, she has not thought so far ahead as to thaw a package in the refrigerator.  Typicaly, she will defrost it in the microwave and then squeeze by hand - causing her hands to get very cold.  Is there a better way?

Milt, I use a smooth cotton towel (the kind you use to dry glasses) to squeeze the excess juice out of cooked minced mushrooms. It will work just as fine with the raw frozen spinach. Just pile it into a ball shape into the cloth, twist and squeeze.

OXO salad spinner.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Save the juice and some of the spinach, after you've extracted the liquid. I made Green Risotto from Edda Servi Machlan's Classic Italian Jewish Cooking last week for the first time -- it was superb. And green.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Save the juice and some of the spinach, after you've extracted the liquid. I made Green Risotto from Edda Servi Machlan's Classic Italian Jewish Cooking last week for the first time -- it was superb. And green.

Recipe, please?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Who uses frozen spinach? Fresh is always available.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Frozen is great for some recipes, though, and you can stock up way ahead of time. I have to say, some frozen veggies (mostly corn, peas and spinach) are one of the few things where I find the frozen more useful than the fresh.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Frozen is great for some recipes, though, and you can stock up way ahead of time. I have to say, some frozen veggies (mostly corn, peas and spinach) are one of the few things where I find the frozen more useful than the fresh.

I second that one. Fresh spinach is a real pain. For most recipes, I gave up on fresh a long time ago. I was visiting a friend in another city that actually has farmer's markets and we bought this big bunch of gorgeous spinach. We washed and washed and washed. Still gritty. Then I remembered my sister's trick for big batches of greens from the garden . . . into the clothes washer with a box of baking soda. But I digress . . . long live frozen spinach.

I use the strainer and spoon method because I don't have a potato ricer. Now I have another reason to buy one. I can see that it would be an ideal tool.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Recipe, please?

MelissaH

I added it to the eGRA. Check it out.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Recipe, please?

MelissaH

I added it to the eGRA. Check it out.

Thank you!

Have you ever used frozen spinach to make this? One box worth?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY