• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Globo now part of Bimbo

flour girl

I just recently came across an article about the sale of El Globo bakeries to Bimbo. I remember having various pastries from El Globo, but especially the cakes. The cakes always had a distinctive flavor and were what some relatives aspired to make at home. Any one else remember El Globo?

I'm sure El Globo was once fabulous, and I've seen old photos of the beautiful original one, but in recent years it has become a chain all over Mexico City, and it's wares are not particularly special. So, its 'Bimbo-ization' will probebly not make much difference.

It's still distressing, however to see the corporatization of anything. At least Bimbo is a Mexican company....or is it?

nickarte - yes my recollections of El Globo are from the early seventies and eighties, before the globalization of chains took hold. If you are interested, the article I found was at (en espanol, no mas)http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2005/ago05/050801/003n1sec.html.

Do you have a favorite pasteleria and what are they known for? :smile:

Edited by flour girl (log)

Yes, I saw the same story. YOu can find something of the history of El globo on their web site. It's one of the oldest of the still-existing Mexican patisseries, founded in the late nineteenth century by Iltalians and then taken on by French. I have Mexican friends, who, like you, still remember it as the place to buy cakes and pastries.

It began a huge expansion a decade or so ago when it was taken over by Carlos Slim, whom I am sure is familiar to you as Mexico's richest man and owner Telmex. Now there are over 100 stores in all major cities in Mexico (we have at least two in Leon) and a bakery in Guadalajara. It seems to have been part of his move to take over much of many of the shopping center chains such as Sanborns (another venerable institution) and Mixup (CDs and not so vnerable).

So the purchase by Bimbo is not a radical break. Yes, Bimbo is Mexican, founded by a Basque family around World War II and still owned by the original family. They saw the opportunity to use modern machinery to sell pan de caja and thus establish a niche separate from bolillos. Massively successful it's the world's second or third largest bakery and operates all over Latin America, in many parts of the US and in Europe. We've had discussions of it before on this list.

And Nick, I agree that El Globo isn't what it usd to be. But here in the provinces I am sometimes glad to get certain things there--we don't have great patisseries. Most of the cake shops in Guanajuato I would not touch. So I'd add to flour girl's question--where to you now recommend in DF?

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Bimbo is definitely in California. I saw a tortilla delivery guy in the grocery a few days ago wearing a shirt with a name tag that said Bimbo. I just had to tease him a bit about "Mexican Wonder Bread".

They aren't delivering it it in our town but I see it in the Mexican markets.

And Nick, I agree that El Globo isn't what it usd to be. But here in the provinces I am sometimes glad to get certain things there--we don't have great patisseries. Most of the cake shops in Guanajuato I would not touch. So I'd add to flour girl's question--where to you now recommend in DF?

I have to admit that the panederias in Mexico don't make me very excited..."it ain't France" is the mantra that comes to mind...

So, I can only recommend the bread and pastries from Mosiaco (the restaurant that also has take-out charcuterie) on c/Michoacán, and that from La Naval, next door. La Gran Via, on Amsterdam near Sonora has incredible (and justly famous) merengues. There is a great Portuguese bakery in Polanco but I´m not sure of the address.

I used to love the bread, cheese (including some wonderful made-in-Mexico cheses) and charcuterie from Le Petit Cluny in San Angel. But they've closed. A great loss,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Panadería La Esperanza (mi tocaya, por supuesto), just at the foot of Metro General Anaya, is absolutely wonderful for many things. I haven't been to any of their other sucursales, but this one...mmmmm.

And speaking of Pan Bimbo--it can't be the Wonder Bread of Mexico, because Wonder Bread is made here.

Just give me a good crusty bolillo, please.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?