• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Senhor Rooster's experience

Vancouver

Learned that they will be moving hopefully sometime in September -- to 850 Renfrew I believe -- a larger venue with live music

Bang on with the address. Huge outdoor patio that'll be fabulous next summer.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Learned that they will be moving hopefully sometime in September -- to 850 Renfrew I believe -- a larger venue with live music

Are they taking over the space of an Asian restaurant there?

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Learned that they will be moving hopefully sometime in September -- to 850 Renfrew I believe -- a larger venue with live music...

Are they taking over the space of an Asian restaurant there?

You've got it! Mekong something, I think it is.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet -- Mr. Mouse and I stopped in late this evening for some dessert, a drink and a chat. Chef Daniel's target opening date for the new restaurant is October 1; in order to free up time to work on the renovations, the existing location is now only open for dinner (at 5:00 p.m.). And yes, the restaurant's name and phone number will remain the same after the move.

Enjoy your dinner!

Joie Alvaro Kent

Thanks Mooshmouse! Unfortunately, my sister REFUSED to go for Portugese food :angry: I have absolutely no idea why I'm always up for trying anything at least once, and she's such a picky eater. It's not like my parents fed us any differently... Or DID they?...

Anyway, we ended up at Raincity Grill. It was good, but not spectacular (although the sardine appetizer & cassata dessert were pretty good). I would've taken my cousin to Parkside but I'd already taken her a couple weeks ago (she loved it).

We finally made it here the other night and it was dead quiet!

We had the clam and chorizo special appy and the batata bravas to start. I think I could've bathed in the garlicky sauce on the clam dish and the potatoes were perhaps one of the best I've ever had.

He had the cornish game hen and I had the pork medallions. Both delicious, but I did enjoy the hen much more. I love the smokey char on the skin and moist, moist meat. His leftovers were my dinner the next night!

Hot sauces were a piri piri, jalapeno, and strawberry and red wine. The strawberry one was my favourite.

Must.go.back. I am already craving the game hen. Finger lick'n good!

What stands out for me is how deeply flavourful each dish was.

Next time, the salt crusted chicken. :)

Quentina

• 3 weeks later...
Finally made it to Senhor Rooster's for the first time today.

Read a really lovely review of this place in the October VM, along with several others of ethnic places. The first person that I thought of when I read the SR piece, I was surprised to discover, was the author of that review and several others in the excellent article! :wink:

courtesy of jsolomon

Finally made it to Senhor Rooster's for the first time today.

Read a really lovely review of this place in the October VM, along with several others of ethnic places. The first person that I thought of when I read the SR piece, I was surprised to discover, was the author of that review and several others in the excellent article! :wink:

*curtseys*

Thanks for the nod, cayenne! :blush:

Joie Alvaro Kent

• 4 weeks later...
The salt crusted chicken is to die for.

That peppyre knows her salt.

Crack the salt...

PICT0057.JPG

Expose the chicken...

PICT0060.JPG

Slice into juicy-chickie...

PICT0061.JPG

Memo - chickie-chickie boom, chickie-boom

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I got invited to dinner at Senhor Rooster with three young ladies, whom I'll call Dakota, Tiffany and Jordan.  If you can believe it, there was supposed to be a fourth, but she didn't show - which was really too bad, but I had my hands full anyway.  The noises these girls make when they get together!  Each one is a delight, but when you put all three together...

We started with a little house liqueur to lubricate things, ...

...The only thing was that Jordan wasn't keen on the head, which was disappointing...

(Dakota described the pork and clams as "throbbingly good") the portions were just too huge.  Chef wrapped up Tiffany's beef rib in foil, in the shape of a bull.  She said that she was going to enjoy that in a sandwich later.  Thinking I was 24 again, I offered to help her out.  Well that story might be better left for another time.

There were a couple other couples in the joint while we were there, but I think my girls scared them off.  They can be a little noisy and intimidating, but if you can stand the heat, you won't find any better dining partners.  We had a few more laughs, and ended the evening with air kisses all around.  And I went home to sleep the sleep of the innocents.

Well BCinBC I didn't know it was possible to turn a restaurant review into a sexist, somewhat offensive and yucky "I am a male stud" commentary, but you managed. Yuck! :wacko:

I got invited to dinner at Senhor Rooster with three young ladies, whom I'll call Dakota, Tiffany and Jordan.  If you can believe it, there was supposed to be a fourth, but she didn't show - which was really too bad, but I had my hands full anyway.  The noises these girls make when they get together!  Each one is a delight, but when you put all three together...

...The only thing was that Jordan wasn't keen on the head, which was disappointing...

(Dakota described the pork and clams as "throbbingly good") the portions were just too huge.  Chef wrapped up Tiffany's beef rib in foil, in the shape of a bull.  She said that she was going to enjoy that in a sandwich later.  Thinking I was 24 again, I offered to help her out.  Well that story might be better left for another time.

There were a couple other couples in the joint while we were there, but I think my girls scared them off.  They can be a little noisy and intimidating, but if you can stand the heat, you won't find any better dining partners.  We had a few more laughs, and ended the evening with air kisses all around.  And I went home to sleep the sleep of the innocents.

Well BCinBC I didn't know it was possible to turn a restaurant review into a sexist, somewhat offensive and yucky "I am a male stud" commentary, but you managed. Yuck! :wacko:

:laugh:

I think you are mistaking the intent...tiny tiny bit of a joke, you see. An homage, in fact.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Well BCinBC I didn't know it was possible to turn a restaurant review into a sexist, somewhat offensive and yucky "I am a male stud" commentary, but you managed. Yuck!  :wacko:
I think you are mistaking the intent...tiny tiny bit of a joke, you see. An homage, in fact.

Wow! BCinBC has his own PR agent! Nice spin Deborah. :hmmm:

A.

Well BCinBC I didn't know it was possible to turn a restaurant review into a sexist, somewhat offensive and yucky "I am a male stud" commentary, but you managed. Yuck!  :wacko:

Wow! BCinBC has his own PR agent! Nice spin Deborah. :hmmm:

A.

BC is currently out of the country. :shrug:

you can call me Dakota

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

you can call me Dakota

Were the clams really "throbbingly good"? :biggrin:

I still have this on my list. This and Dona Carta (sp?). Two totally different dining establishments which I am aching to try. Why will my exercise boot camp not end? Why do they tell me things like "no juice, no beer, no wine, no egg yolks". Is there nothing worth living for anymore?

Memo is that salt crusted chicken an item on their menu? I saw this made on Iron Chef once and have been dying to try it!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Memo is that salt crusted chicken an item on their menu?

You need to order it in advance.

Memo - I love Salt Lake City in the winter - when it drizzles, I love Salt Lake City in the summer - when it sizzles

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Dear FannyBay,

Thanks the compliment - I would never actually proclaim myself a "stud," but the ego boost of someone else thinking so is tremendous!

I heard through my PR girl (Not Dakota) that there was a stirring on the G about this long-ago post of mine. Unfortunately I was unable to reply, being offline in Mexico researching taco-licious offerings (loved the lengua!). But I'm back, and glad to hear what you have to say. The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about - right?

One other thing: I told my friend Jon about your excellent input, and he mentioned that he would love it if you might take a moment to read a piece of his, over on the Ireland forum. For your convenience, I've included a quick link here: link! He is a real writer, so of course his writing is vastly superior to mine (let's be honest, not even in the same league), but please be frank with him as you have with me.

Thanks again!

Dear FannyBay,

Thanks the compliment - I would never actually proclaim myself a "stud," but the ego boost of someone else thinking so is tremendous!

I heard through my PR girl (Not Dakota) that there was a stirring on the G about this long-ago post of mine. Unfortunately I was unable to reply, being offline in Mexico researching taco-licious offerings (loved the lengua!). But I'm back, and glad to hear what you have to say. The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about - right?

One other thing: I told my friend Jon about your excellent input, and he mentioned that he would love it if you might take a moment to read a piece of his, over on the Ireland forum. For your convenience, I've included a quick link here: link! He is a real writer, so of course his writing is vastly superior to mine (let's be honest, not even in the same league), but please be frank with him as you have with me.

Thanks again!

Ah yes, reminds one of the piece by Stephen Lemons.

By the way, how were the taco-licious offerings, does anything local come close to the ones you tried in Mexico? :smile:

courtesy of jsolomon

• 5 weeks later...

Well, we went today for my second visit, and my wifes first. The first time I went I went with a friend. And it was awesome, absolutely great. Today, it sucked a$$. I mean quite bad. The first time I've haven't given a tip. Is it the same chef?

A) The waitress was wearing a too short leopard print mini skirt and wearing WAY TOO MUCH cheap perfume. She smelled more like mineral spirits. There was only one other table but the service was still pretty slow.

B) The sauces were very unlike what I remember. Boring hot sauces. I remember 4 or five little jars of heaven. These were like Franks Red Hot. Except one was green. Quite different from what I remember. Plus, previously, the bread was also served with a little sardine spread ... not so any longer, but I can forgive that.

C) Well, the appetizer wasn't too bad. We had sardines, for $10, 5 grilled sardines is a pretty good value. And they didn't taste bad. I'm quite interested in that they came whole, not cleaned, seems strange to me, since I'm just unsure how often one can get fresh sardines.

D) Despite repeated apologizies for the delay (did I mention there was only one other table), when the food was served it was barely warm. My wife had pork and clams. The pork tasted like clams, and the clams tasted like rubber. Not good. It is reputed to come with cilantro, but this stuff was so overcooked it didn't have any flavour anymore. Looked more like the spinach my Mom used to boil in the 70's. I had the quail - a special. The flavour was good, but like I said, cold. It came with a saffron rice which was good, and a salad of iceberg lettuce and kraft ranch (I'm not an expert on kraft dressings, but this stuff likely came from a jar).

There is no way that this could have been the same cook, Daniel, as last time. Has something changed? I spoke with him on my first visit, super nice guy. But tonight was bad.

It's a shame, because I really wanted to try the salt-crusted chicken, but I don't think I'll be able to drag myself there again. At least it wasn't overpriced.