• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Senhor Rooster's experience

Vancouver

Please - no name changes - especially single named places. If people get scared off by the name then they don't deserve to go.

In fact - I think the name should be lengthened to make it even more frightening to the food fashionistas:

1) Senhor Rooster's Final Horse Round Up

2) Senhor Rooster Dodgy Eastside Food Emporium with Booze and Stuff, or

3) Senhor Rooster House of Lamb Slaughter

Edited by canucklehead (log)

The name is IMO the best part. I took my buddy there a couple weeks back. He's not a big eater, but does know a thing or two about good food. It was with a wry and mischievous grin that I told him the name of the place. The reaction is great.

Of course, he was very thankful after the meal.

NB: The sweetbread appetizer is amazing.

Today, a friend and myself tried out Senhor Rooster's restaurant. We went early and the restaurant was empty so it was great and had great service. Daniel waited on us and he is a wonderful host. He had just invented a new sauce today " a curry sauce" and wanted us to be his guinea pigs and see if it had enough curry. My friend adores curry and I am not really into curry. I am now converted though probably just to his curry sauce. I asked to buy a bottle if he had any as he had just invented it today. He had spent the whole day making it. Apparently, making a cold curry sauce is quite difficult. He sent us home with a gift of his curry sauce. We plan to have it on chicken tomorrow. He also recommends serving it with prawns. It has the most amazing texture. Texture of food is important to me as if it feels gross in my mouth, I cannot swallow it. It was like velvet!!! The taste when it hit your taste buds was like a mini explosion. I am usually really good at sussing out what the ingredients are but there was something in it that puzzled me. He did confess there was coconut in it and two different types of curries.

We had two appies...barbecued mushrooms and the cod/mashed potato cakes. Both dishes were good but I would probably not order them again.

The half game hen was excellent. The sauces were good and I liked the jalapeno the best; I also liked the fruit sauce. Everyone has talked about the piri piri but neither of us really found the piri piri memorable. It seemed to lack any substance in flavour.

We shared a cream brulee which was good. Great capuccinos. My friend had a stomache ache when we left. I was a little smarter. I left most of the fries and only ate one bun and after a few sips of my coffee knew I had reached my limit and stopped and left it with regrets.

Great meal, great service and great host. We will be going back. It is obvious that Daniel really has a love for what he is doing. Did not realize how tiny his place would be so was glad we got there early and had seating. We were a hour and half but we were purposefully sort of taking our time because we had to go out to Surrey and wanted to wait past rush hour traffic. Good food takes time to prepare and it is always nice to take time between courses to digest your food. If you want fast food, go to McDonalds!

Thanks, to A. for the referral.

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

I need assistance in picking a good restaurant in the east end near Slocan as I am taking someone to a meeting there tomorrow night and have been told I have my choice of restaurants in that area as payment!

There's always Senhor Rooster on Rupert.

Today, a friend and myself tried out Senhor Rooster's restaurant... Great meal, great service and great host. We will be going back...

Thanks, to A. for the referral.

I'm not Arne, but I'm glad that you enjoyed your meal. :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

We must have just missed you, samasutra as we headed there a bit later last night. Papa Zuke had the sweet breads and the seafood platter, which he polished off with relish. I had the rack of lamb and the creme brulée. The lamb gravy had lots of fennel, garlic, and maybe a touch of five spice powder. The meat was as rare as I ordered it, and very tender. The portion was huge-P Zukes said "That's as much lamb as my mother cooks for the whole family!" We'll have the leftovers for lunch. The place has a touch of "Hernando's Hideaway" kind of vibe.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

We must have just missed you, samasutra as we headed there a bit later last night. Papa Zuke had the sweet breads and the seafood platter, which he polished off with relish. I had the rack of lamb and the creme brulée. The lamb gravy had lots of fennel, garlic, and maybe a touch of five spice powder. The meat was as rare as I ordered it, and very tender. The portion was huge-P Zukes said "That's as much lamb as my mother cooks for the whole family!" We'll have the leftovers for lunch. The place has a touch of "Hernando's Hideaway" kind of vibe.

I am so sorry we missed you as it was quite lonesome in there. Not sure if I would have had the courage to say, are you a fellow egullet fan or not. He told us about the sweetbreads to which we both said a quick "no". Neither of us being fans of sweetbreads....shivers going up my spine. I also have never developed a taste for lamb though I was married to a Jugoslavijian at one time who of course loved an excuse to roast a lamb. He owns a hobby farm and butchers his own and roasts them as well as suckling pig. Jugoslavjians are quite famous for their grill cooking. He likes to know that his meat is from organic sources and his animals eat better then humans. He and his dad actually cook their mash daily from all natural grain sources. If I talk nice , I can get lamb from him so I do plan one day to cook some for my mom and room mate who both love lamb. I just do not find the New Zealand lamb compares. I did buy some lamb from Black Creek from the Mennonites (outside Campbell River) and apparently from the comments of the company I served...( I never ate it) it was perfect!!!! they also organic feed for their animals. No garbage or chemicals.

How did you like the cream brulee. Apparently, he makes it with milk, not cream which gave me some comfort when I thought about the diet I had to return to the next day. We also split one so that helped me feel somewhat virtuous.

It does have an interesting vibe. If you ignore the outside and the garbage on the streets and busy traffic, you can pretend you are in a little neighborhood cafe in Europe. Lots of little places like that and space always at a premium. Sort of promotes intimacy.

Really sorry I missed you. Maybe next time.

S. :rolleyes::rolleyes::wink:

Does anyone else have the impression this fine restaurant suffers from a silly name? I have recommended it to various friends, and my recommendations have been ignored - largely I think because people assume it must be some tacky Mexican KFC knock-off.

Given Vancouver's current infatuation with one word restaurant names that tell you absolutely nothing about the restaurant, the owner or the food being served (eg. Lift, Nu, Rare, West, Brix, C, Fiction etc etc) I though we might do Daniel a favour and brainstorm a trendier name for his establishment.

How about "P" (for Portugal or Pork)? Or how about "East"? Or how about "Alogna" which is Angola spelled backwards?

Any suggestions?

Actually, the name is part of the appeal for me. :)

Does anyone else have the impression this fine restaurant suffers from a silly name? I have recommended it to various friends, and my recommendations have been ignored - largely I think because people assume it must be some tacky Mexican KFC knock-off.

Given Vancouver's current infatuation with one word restaurant names that tell you absolutely nothing about the restaurant, the owner or the food being served (eg. Lift, Nu, Rare, West, Brix, C, Fiction etc etc) I though we might do Daniel a favour and brainstorm a trendier name for his establishment.

How about "P" (for Portugal or Pork)? Or how about "East"? Or how about "Alogna" which is Angola spelled backwards?

Any suggestions?

When my friend first showed up at my place and suggested we eat at a place he passed on his way over called "senhor rooster", I laughed and said sure. I had heard nothing about the food before that, so it was based solely on the name that I gave it a shot. it reminded me of the mexican chicken joint on commercial drive that I never got a chance to try.

I am so sorry we missed you as it was quite lonesome in there. Not sure if I would have had the courage to say, are you a fellow egullet fan or not. He told us about the sweetbreads to which we both said a quick "no". Neither of us being fans of sweetbreads....shivers going up my spine. I also have never developed a taste for lamb though I was married to a Jugoslavijian at one time who of course loved an excuse to roast a lamb. He owns a hobby farm and butchers his own and roasts them as well as suckling pig. Jugoslavjians are quite famous for their grill cooking. He likes to know that his meat is from organic sources and his animals eat better then humans. He and his dad actually cook their mash daily from all natural grain sources. If I talk nice , I can get lamb from him so I do plan one day to cook some for my mom and room mate who both love lamb. I just do not find the New Zealand lamb compares. I did buy some lamb from Black Creek from the Mennonites (outside Campbell River) and apparently from the comments of the company I served...( I never ate it) it was perfect!!!! they also organic feed for their animals. No garbage or chemicals.

How did you like the cream brulee. Apparently, he makes it with milk, not cream which gave me some comfort when I thought about the diet I had to return to the next day. We also split one so that helped me feel somewhat virtuous.

It does have an interesting vibe. If you ignore the outside and the garbage on the streets and busy traffic, you can pretend you are in a little neighborhood cafe in Europe. Lots of little places like that and space always at a premium. Sort of promotes intimacy.

Really sorry I missed you. Maybe next time.

S. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :wink:

Wow--sounds like you've got a good source of lamb--maybe a sacrifical lamb for a dinner at Rare sometime?

I did like the creme brulée-I thought it was a classic and what I liked about the restaurant was that it was so unpretentious. I wished there were more people in the restaurant, as would have been cozier with more people. It definitley classifies as a hole in the wall that needs people for warmth and vitality. I kept imagining we were in the middle of a Winnipeg bizzard because the ventilation system was having an asma attack that was so loud it drowned out the music. But hey, wear a black turtleneck and a beret and channel Astrid Gilberto, and you'll have fun.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Any suggestions?

When my friend first showed up at my place and suggested we eat at a place he passed on his way over called "senhor rooster", I laughed and said sure. I had heard nothing about the food before that, so it was based solely on the name that I gave it a shot. it reminded me of the mexican chicken joint on commercial drive that I never got a chance to try.

Indeed. First impression definitely conjures up wacky. A fast food, brightly lit place.

But roosters are a symbol of good luck in Portugal, especially when placed in the kitchen.

I did like the creme brulée-I thought it was a classic and what I liked about the restaurant was that it was so unpretentious. I wished there were more people in the restaurant, as would have been cozier with more people. It definitley classifies as a hole in the wall that needs people for warmth and vitality. I kept imagining we were in the middle of a Winnipeg bizzard because the ventilation system was having an asma attack that was so loud it drowned out the music. But hey, wear a black turtleneck and a beret and channel Astrid Gilberto, and you'll have fun.

• 1 month later...

Went back last night and have noticed some of the changes Daniel has been making to the place:

- installed a new marble countertop for the dining bar area by the kitchen

- added tablecloths and cloth napkins

- modified the sauce offerings to squeeze bottles that work nicely

- added a bowl of mints near the door on the way out

- improved the lighting and has gotten rid of the flourescent lights

All nice touches that add to the feel of the place. Thankfully the food was still as good as ever and hasn't changed. :wink:

We hadn't been for a while (quite busy lately), so went back to some of the "staples" including the prawns piri-piri and the rack of lamb. The saucing was superb as always. As many have mentioned, the piri-piri sauce is good enough to finish off with the spoon that comes as a serving accessory. The fennel sauce for the lamb deserved being sopped up by a crusty Portuguese roll. The patatas brava that came as a side to the lamb had their own piri-piri based sauce which also was soaked up by the above-mentioned rolls. He provided a nice salad with incredibly ripe tomatos, avacado, and a lemon olive oil dressing.

Finished off with a rich chocolate mouse and a very mangoey mango mouse.

Cheers!

• 5 weeks later...

Dear eGullet,

I have been reading these posts for a long time now, and while they all sound great, I've always been a bit suspicious as to whether they were real or not. Certainly I never thought that something like that could happen to me, but last Thursday night it did!

I got invited to dinner at Senhor Rooster with three young ladies, whom I'll call Dakota, Tiffany and Jordan. If you can believe it, there was supposed to be a fourth, but she didn't show - which was really too bad, but I had my hands full anyway. The noises these girls make when they get together! Each one is a delight, but when you put all three together...

We started with a little house liqueur to lubricate things, and ordered a couple plates of the salt cod and potato cakes and a plate of the BBQ'ed mushrooms to start. For the main event, Dakota immediately sniffed out the pork and clams, Tiffany took the beef ribs for her pleasure, and that left Jordan and me. At that point, Chef announced that he had a very special dish featured: salt crusted chicken. I thought that only got served on TV! Not believing my luck, I immediately accepted and gazed at Jordan - and to my delight, she nodded in agreement.

It's the little details that bring Senhor Rooster a cut above an average neighborhood joint. We were brought Portugese buns, with the wonderful little cleft in them, to enjoy along with the four squeeze bottles of sauce. The types are documented above, and of the four my favourites are the piri-piri and the jalapeno. The girls all liked the hot ones too. Like someone said before, just make sure to keep the bottle upright when squeezing, otherwise you're going to end up with a lot of sauce in your lap! And that stuff stains. Anyway, along with the buns and sauce, we were also presented with four fried sardines. Dakota seemed a little lukewarm on them, but Tiffany and Jordan loved them. I ate mine, and then split Dakota's with Jordan. The only thing was that Jordan wasn't keen on the head, which was disappointing. But not to worry.

The cod cakes and mushrooms came out next. Dipped in the sauces, the cakes were quite good, but the mushrooms really stole the appetizer show. We sopped up the juices with those clefty little buns, and then thankfully were brought more to finish the job.

As you can imagine, the salt crust took a while to prepare, but the anticipation was just fine. When the mains were brought out, the beef was huge with a nice brown/black char, and the pork and clams were just glistening and steaming. I would have buried my face in either in a second, but then the chicken came tableside. Using a mallet to crack the surface, chef quickly and efficiently cleared away the broken crust and the salt beneath, then pulled back the protective leaves of lettuce to reveal the beautiful bird.

Deboned except for the wings and then stuffed with a mixture of rice, mandarin orange, and whatever else, and served with a beautiful sauce that must have been 5 parts butter, 2 parts drippings, oh and more globules of orange in there, all making for an unbelievable oral experience. The bird itself was the most moist bird I have ever had the pleasure of eating, and even the stuffing was an exercise in imagination. Like I said, the anticipation was just fine because the payoff was unbelievable. I think I blacked out for a while.

When I woke up, it was time for dessert. Tiffany had blueberries flambe, Dakota mango mousse, and Jordan a special dessert of strawberries and red wine. I had to have a smoky creme caramel to finish me off. The girls all loved their desserts, and I must admit that even though I usually go for the congealed stuff, at Senhor Rooster I prefer the flambe or mango mousse. Chef is a master with the fruits.

Neither Tiffany nor Dakota could finish their meals; even though they were thoroughly enjoyed (Dakota described the pork and clams as "throbbingly good") the portions were just too huge. Chef wrapped up Tiffany's beef rib in foil, in the shape of a bull. She said that she was going to enjoy that in a sandwich later. Thinking I was 24 again, I offered to help her out. Well that story might be better left for another time.

There were a couple other couples in the joint while we were there, but I think my girls scared them off. They can be a little noisy and intimidating, but if you can stand the heat, you won't find any better dining partners. We had a few more laughs, and ended the evening with air kisses all around. And I went home to sleep the sleep of the innocents.

Dear eGullet,

I have been reading these posts for a long time now, and while they all sound great, I've always been a bit suspicious as to whether they were real or not.  Certainly I never thought that something like that could happen to me, but last Thursday night it did!

I got invited to dinner at Senhor Rooster ...........

Such a delightful review. Well done! :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I also had a great time at Senhor Rooster's recently, on Friday (any eGulleters also there that night?). My friend & I arrived half an hour early for our reservations (a rare occurrence).

The specials chalked on the board included:

- sweet breads

- caldareida (sp?)

- some kind of fish

- some cut of beef (I'm sorry, I was focussing on the lamb!)

- rack of lamb

Bread

Our server brought us a basket with 2 Portugese buns, with butter. I kept waiting for them to bring out the sauces, but after it became clear that they weren't going to, I asked for them. Our great server promptly brought out 3 large squeeze bottles of the sauces: piri-piri, jalapeno, and mango ginger. My plate looked like an artist's palette with the little perfect pools of orange and green on it. As I've posted before, I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to spicy things, so the piri-piri was not my favourite. We both loved the mango ginger - I wasn't expecting the big hit of mango! :wub: I noticed that a lot of other tables didn't get the sauces either, but as soon as we got ours, they started asking for the sauces too (I noticed that some got 4 different kinds :sad: )

Appetizers

We shared the kale & potato soup, and the bbq mushrooms. I won't repeat what's already been said about the yummy mushrooms, but the soup was a nice surprise. The soup was of the consistency of a Chinese "gung" (someone else can explain this one) - clear and thick. It was a revelation because I've never had non-creamy potato soup before. Lots & lots of kale too!!

Mains

As I already mentioned, I went for the rack of lamb. At $35, the lamb is a really good deal (I got 7 racks! I had 3 and saved the rest to take home to my family, who loved it - even my mom, who isn't too fond of lamb). The sauce was really good - complex & intense. I got a little more sauce than I would've preferred, but that's ok! My friend opted for the pork & clams, which I didn't try. She said it tasted like chicken, but in a good way - a bit dry, but still good. The flavours reminded her of the bbq mushrooms.

Desserts

Another reason why I didn't finish my lamb was that I wanted to save room for dessert! We shared the blueberry flambe & creme brulee. I was hoping to witness Daniel making the flambe, but he was hidden in the kitchen :sad: I haven't had flambe before and it was really good. I don't think I've had a dessert I truly disliked. I wish he'd left out the pomegranate seeds though, because I bit into one by accident (bitter!). Mmm, buttery blueberry sauce... The creme brulee was different - it's been said before, but we were surprised that it was so watery. I almost thought it didn't set properly! I liked the taste of it, although I might not order it again (I like the kind that doesn't drip off your spoon).

I think a visit with my family is in order. :wub:

Just wanted to mention one more special on the board that is really worthwhile. It's the stuffed camembert, which was really delicious. It's actually more like it's smothered (rather than stuffed)with a creamy shrimp sauce. Yummy. I shared it with two other people (we also ordered the salt cod fritter ball thingies as an appetizer), and honestly, I was wishing I could have just eaten the stuffed camembert all by myself (or alternatively that we had ordered three of them, hee hee). I tried to get us to share the lamb chops as an appetizer, but I was vetoed. Next time I'll know to really force the issue (or just have it as my main. I just wanted to try something different this time). The lamb there is SO good.

I had the pork and clams and also found the pork a bit dry. My friend ordered the fried quail, and we had little nibbles of each others, but after we had both finished our meals, we wound up both admitting we liked the other's meal better. ha! Should have 'fessed up earlier! The dish of clams is huge. Would also be a good one to share as a communal appy. We got our squeezy bottles of sauce right away. I kind of like the little glass jars more, aesthetically, but the squeezies are more practical, I guess. Anyhow, it was another really nice meal overall.

Edited by Dumpling Girl (log)

Dumpling girl has coined a new term for Senhor Rooster:  http://nancyland.blogspot.com/2006/03/senh...-portugese.html

"The East End, Portugese Bishop's"

Yeah ... that's a fair comparison - NOT. :hmmm: I understand where Nancy is coming from with the comparison ... but Daniel is no John Bishop and Senhor Rooster is no Bishops, and I'd guess that Daniel would agree. Making that comparison is way off the mark.

Senhor Rooster's is a nice place, but it's not the Second Coming. Would it make my list of Best Values? You betcha. Top 5 easily. Would it be on my list of places to suggest to someone visitng from out of town? Not even in my top 50.

Time for a little perspective.

A.

Daddy-A you speak the truth. Obviously I was just having a bit of fun above, and as much as I do like the place and specifically Daniel as a chef and host, there was one item in my post that was not exaggerated for "literary" effect: Senhor Rooster is a cut above the average neighborhood joint. Daniel is not John Bishop. Vikram Vij is not John Bishop. We are all individuals. (I'm not.)

Yummy out.

First post!

Had my birthday / end of exam dinner at Mr. Rooster's tonight.

Really full

Daniel asked if we'd just like for him to bring us (me and two guys) some "tasters" and we said sure.. He brought A LOT of food, that we couldn't finish it all

Starters:

He made some Ricotta Cheese (soooooooo good.... we all loved it). ($3.50?)

IMG_0603.jpg

Twist on his prawns African style, had some tomatos... nice sauce to go on rice... like curry ($9.95?)

BBQ Mushrooms with Truffle Oi ($5? 6?) Really good, my friend who doesn't particulalrly like mushrooms really liked these.

IMG_0604.jpg

Main:

We had a big plate come up with

Rack of Lamb (really good... not so good when it cooled down but really good)$35

Sweet Breads (uhhhhhhhhh guts? good sauce though.. won't say I'd order it again)

Choritzo Sausage (8) mine was a bit burnt cuz ... Daniel had a fire going on our plate to cook the sausage ... very fun

Chicken ... very nice a tad burnt in some places but not dry.. a think this was a whole one

sides: zucchini, carrots, this tomato potato onion thing... yum

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

Dessert:

blueberry flambe (yum), mango mousse (pretty yummy), chocolate mousse (a tad dryer) all for 12

IMG_0608.jpg

an hour an a half later.. I am very full

more edits:

I think Daniel is doing a suckling pig tomorrow (the 28th for a party of 22)

Edited by Quarki (log)

Dumpling girl has coined a new term for Senhor Rooster:  http://nancyland.blogspot.com/2006/03/senh...-portugese.html

"The East End, Portugese Bishop's"

Yeah ... that's a fair comparison - NOT. :hmmm: I understand where Nancy is coming from with the comparison ... but Daniel is no John Bishop and Senhor Rooster is no Bishops, and I'd guess that Daniel would agree. Making that comparison is way off the mark.

Senhor Rooster's is a nice place, but it's not the Second Coming. Would it make my list of Best Values? You betcha. Top 5 easily. Would it be on my list of places to suggest to someone visitng from out of town? Not even in my top 50.

Time for a little perspective.

A.

I actually agree with your comments about getting some perspective, Arne. And if anyone wants to read my full post (shameless plug: at http://nancyland.blogspot.com), I was only making the comparison with the hospitality and personableness of the chef/host and the very obvious passion for food that comes through when he comes out of the kitchen. And the great value (being an East End kid originally myself) and definitely not fancy schmancy interior is what I'm talking about when I say "East End [version]". Also, the lack of pretension. So for me, the comparison is valid. Using it as a title was meant to grab some attention :) And because my article was about grappling with why this little ethnic restaurant serving tasty food is getting so much attention compared to hundreds of other ethnic restaurants plugging away and serving tasty food, and why it elicits my own affection too, and I really think it's about that hosting ability/passion about food (Bishopness? Bishopity? Bishopocity?) that is in large part what people note and like Bishops. Yes, of course everyone is an individual and John Bishop didn't invent being a good host/showing passion for food. But he's a nice enough fellow, and good enough at it, that I don't mind using him for shorthand. It's the "dinner party feel" he's known for, that I was mostly speaking of.

Anyhow, Senhor Rooster's would definitely rank in my top 50 to recommend , but I'd tag on, go for the rack of lamb for sure. Less refined perhaps than what you'd get at Bishop's, but I can't see it getting any better than what I had the first time at Senhor Rooster's. It was wonderful. Since that post, I've had the pork and clams, and was disappointed with the dryness, and had also read here that the chicken can be dry. Sauces definitely wowed me more the first time too, but they're still tasty. But as I've been exploring in my articles lately, I really think if service and the feeling you get from the staff is exceptional, it's much easier to forgive imperfections in the food, and still come away with a great dining experience. And I do recommendations based on budget anyway. It's just not fair to expect the same food quality or experience with a high end restaurant with a low end, and that's definitely not what I meant with my post. When out of towners are asking for a recommendation, I'll ask what they want to spend.

Bottom line? Everyone read my blog! :biggrin:

Cheers,

Nancy

• 4 months later...

Finally made it to Senhor Rooster's for the first time today.

Learned that they will be moving hopefully sometime in September -- to 850 Renfrew I believe -- a larger venue with live music and as described, "fine dining."

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less