• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Here's lookin' at you kid.....

chefpeon

This weekend's wedding cake features a design I created when the bride told me she wanted

something "Moroccan". This is what I came up with. I'm rather pleased with it. I love doing the

"non-traditional" type stuff. Thought I'd share. I call this design "Casablanca". :wub:

casablanca.jpg

How many hours did it take you? Which layer was the most challenging? What flavors are the cakes?

It took me 5 hours to decorate....give or take.

I had kneaded all the colors into my fondant and modeling chocolate a few days ahead, and cut out little stencils to make my various shapes....like the stars, the little doorways and the black thingys.

I try to do as much in advance as possible so that it's as easy as possible come assembly time.

I wouldn't say any one layer was more challenging than the other, because I had it all planned out and knew what I was going to do.

The cakes are lemon with lemon curd filling.

Annie, is that all fondant? And what colors did you use? It's spectacular!

Everything is fondant except for any shape that is colored black or yellow. The black and yellow is modeling chocolate. The reason for that is when it comes to cutting out shapes, fondant stretches around too much....even if you use an X-acto knife. The shapes that had a lot of detail to them cut better with the chocolate.

I used regular ol' liquid gel paste color (Chefmaster) and a little bit of powdered color where needed. I used powder in combination with my liquid gel red to get the right shade of red, and I used black powder to deepen the black without making the fondant too soft. Fondant gets more soft and hard to handle the more liquid color you add, so I offset that with powder.

The gold touches are royal icing painted with edible gold powder mixed with lemon extract.

:smile:

Edited by chefpeon (log)

That is way way cool. Yes sweetly Morrocan and Casablancan as well as bright, bridal and happy. Beautiful work. And I mean this in a good way and high praise, the first thought I had was, shades of Margaret Braun! But the expanse of sunlight there on that offset tier is stunning. Just perfect.

What kind of couple was this for? Older maybe?

Yup....got a website.......

at the bottom of my post, just click the word, "card", and when the window pops up, you'll see

my URL.

My website needs some serious updating......it's one of my priorities in the next couple of weeks. :smile:

Aha, thanks for the instructions. And OMG!!! Your cakes are stunning -- what exquisite work!

I call this design "Casablanca". :wub:

I call it stunning- gorgeous work, Annie! :biggrin:

Nice choice of color and design, and the flowers are perfect with it.

Curiousity compels me to ask... what sizes are the two tiers and how many did it serve?

Curiousity compels me to ask... what sizes are the two tiers and how many did it serve?

The tier sizes are 14, 12, 6.

The bride wanted the bottom two tiers to feed 80 because she wanted to save the 6 inch cake. My normal policy is to give a gift certificate for a 6 inch anniversary cake so they can have a fresh one, but she really wanted to save and freeze the "original" one. To each his own I guess!

Thanks for the kudos everybody. Most of the time I get "stuck" having to reproduce other people's designs, which is sort of a drag for me. I really like it when people trust me enough to come up with my original stuff. That's when it's truly FUN.

Anne, that's just outrageously beautiful. So creative. I love it!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol