• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

I went to Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook Friday for the first time. I can positively confirm that while they switched brands, the brand they are now using is NOT Best Kosher, which I mentioned on another forum. I'm sorry for posting wrong information. I'm glad that I went to Bound Brook to find out from the source. And I'm glad the dog they are now using is not Best Kosher. This one is much better.

The owners (Matt and Eric) did not advertise or publicize the fact that they switched brands, nor did they hide the fact. I don't know why they chose to change brands, but I can tell you that the brand they are now using is a top quality frankfurter. It is made by a small company in New England and Amazing Hot Dog is the only place in New Jersey that serves it. You cannot get it in New York either. I have heard about this particular hot dog and have been unsuccesful trying to get it from the company. I would have had to order a large quantity.

Well, I finally got to sample it today. The best way I can describe it is that it is in the Eastern Jewish/Kosher style. All beef, 4 to a lb with natural casing. The casing is thin, but tough. Similar to Best. A little less tough than Boars Head or Grote & Weigel beef dogs. I liked it. The flavor, in contrast to Best was a little less spicy, a little less garlic/paprika flavor, but a little more smoke flavor, though less than Hatfield, which has a lot of smokiness. This frank had a pleasing, balanced flavor. Quality wise this frank is as good an all beef dog as there is. But it definitely has a different flavor profile. Had I not known previously that Amazing had switched brands, I would have been able to tell after the first bite. This dog is one of my favorite all beef dogs along with Best, Usinger's, Boars Head, and Sabrett. All with their own unique flavor, all great. Depends on your personal taste and what kind of spice blend you like.

Although I love Best and have often stated that it is my favorite beef dog, I'm glad that we have access to a top quality dog that is rare and only available here. The Grote & Weigel beef dog served at Father & Son was good and only served there. They later switched to Best. Although I preferred the Best dog, I was glad when they switched back to Grote & Weigel because it was not sold anywhere else.

I had one dog half plain and half with mustard. My second dog was half mustard and half chili. The chili at Amazing is very good. Rich, flavorful, and with a hint of chocolate. Both dogs were prepared perfectly and were definitely served hot.

You can also buy these dogs cold to cook at home. Four of them (one pound) goes for $6.00. I'm going to grill one this weekend.

I wish Matt and Eric good luck with their new location. I'll be back soon to Amazing, although it will probably be their Verona location which is an easier ride for me.

John the hot dog guy

Dang..the major reason I went to AHD was the oversized  Best Hotdog... now i will have to find another place

MsSumida,

As you can imagine, Matt and I didn't take the switch lightly and we made sure the new dog met AHD's high standards. . The dog is of excellent quality and has a thin yet strong casing that holds up well to frying. I hope you come in and try the new dog and judge for yourself. Amazing Hot Dog is the only place that you can get this dog in New York and New Jersey.

The people in Bound Brook are loving it.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I loved the Best dog at Amazing -- why did you move away from it?

Dang..the major reason I went to AHD was the oversized  Best Hotdog... now i will have to find another place

MsSumida,

As you can imagine, Matt and I didn't take the switch lightly and we made sure the new dog met AHD's high standards. . The dog is of excellent quality and has a thin yet strong casing that holds up well to frying. I hope you come in and try the new dog and judge for yourself. Amazing Hot Dog is the only place that you can get this dog in New York and New Jersey.

The people in Bound Brook are loving it.

Eric

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

No response?

As a professional courtesy, the reasons remain private.

That's too bad...

Johnny..see postings under Syd's, Seymour's in Livingston now carry large Best's Hotdogs, I have been there and even though they may not have all the fun toppings, they got the dog :)

http:/www.etuinc.com

• 1 month later...

Eric needs a shirt that says...

"If you deep fry it they will come"

We made our first trip to the new store in Bound Brook today and got to check out the the newest fryer fodder being offered, including batter dipped Mac N Cheese

gallery_23695_426_49902.jpg

so wrong yet just right

also added now are big beautlful golden onion rings

gallery_23695_426_98076.jpg

and of course fried cheesecake bites :laugh:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

also added now are big beautlful golden onion rings

Those onion rings are pretty fantastic...it's probably a good thing that I can't get them closer to home (in Verona)! :raz:

In other news, AHD was featured on the Bob Lape show yesterday. Click here and then on Thursday, Feb 21st to listen.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 3 months later...

Amazing Hot Dog's Verona location has closed down. However their Bound Brook location remains open and is going strong. I happenned to be in the area yesterday and stopped in. I enjoyed 2 Classic's with mustard. Delicious.

John the hot dog guy

Well that just stinks! After all the boys have been through with the fire and all. It's right before summer too. I do wish them well with the alternate location.

-Scott

Well that explains it. A friend of mine that teaches in the area went last week on my recommendation and found the doors locked and no sign explaining why. He was bummed because he'd been looking forward to it for some time. I'll have to tell him about the other location.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Amazing Hot Dog's Verona location has closed down. However their Bound Brook location remains open and is going strong. I happenned to be in the area yesterday and stopped in. I enjoyed 2 Classic's with mustard. Delicious.

WHAT?? When did this happen???

Nothing is listed on their website. ( i.e. Verona location still lists hours, etc)

Edited by SueWho321 (log)

I am very sorry to hear this. I am not local to the place, however, whenever I was in the area, I stopped in. I have no idea why it closed and again, I'm very sorry to hear about it.

Eric

I think Verona closed down about 2 weeks ago. I'm surprised Eric hasn't posted about it.

You're surprised he hasn't posted? My guess is that he has far more important things to deal with.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Maybe. But that hasn't prevented him from posting when Amazing's Verona location burned down. I think he owes it to his customers to let them know what's going on.

John the hot dog guy

I am kind of curious myself as we as an on-line community were involved with stories of conception to reality and also dealing with the fire, etc. I know that I have been in the establishment a few times when I was in town and also brought some family in as well. Much of the reason I did visit was based on their genuine posts on here. I am also curious as I am from Verona.

I am a positive person and always wish others well in the endeavors.

I didn't know anything about the fire, nor the Verona location closing. As I said, I was very sorry to hear this. I followed this thread to some extent, and have been to the Verona location many times. However, that being said, I think there is a big gap between posting about a fire (and re-opening) and "owing" an explanation to customers about a location closing.

Regardless, I would think that in opening a new location, closing another location, running a business, in addition to a variety of other things -- a business owner has very many important, perhaps innumerable, things on his/her mind. Whether it's this week, next month, whatever, I would think the owner(s) will post. They may offer an explanation, they may not. They might answer questions, they might not. And, that's that. I don't have the attitude that an owner "owes" me anything.

If someone asks questions, let's not forget, we are talking to someone about "their business" -- their livelihood. There are numerous reasons not to discuss business issues. Perhaps I am more understanding than most, and owning several business interests, that might be the reason in part.

Whatever the case might be, I wish them all the best.

Eric

Edited by ELA (log)

I didn't know anything about the fire, nor the Verona location closing. As I said, I was very sorry to hear this. I followed this thread to some extent, and have been to the Verona location many times. However, that being said, I think there is a big gap between posting about a fire (and re-opening) and "owing" an explanation to customers about a location closing.

Regardless, I would think that in opening a new location, closing another location, running a business, in addition to a variety of other things -- a business owner has very many important, perhaps innumerable, things on his/her mind. Whether it's this week, next month, whatever, I would think the owner(s) will post. They may offer an explanation, they may not. They might answer questions, they might not. And, that's that. I don't have the attitude that an owner "owes" me anything.

If someone asks questions, let's not forget, we are talking to someone about "their business" -- their livelihood. There are numerous reasons not to discuss business issues. Perhaps I am more understanding than most, and owning several business interests, that might be the reason in part.

Whatever the case might be, I wish them all the best.

Eric

I hope things work out for everyone involved.

It's possible that the business interests involved are working out a settlement, and discussing it publicly wouldn't help to bring about a resolution.

Anyway, I miss the hot dogs already, and hope the store reopens soon.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I don't know why the Verona location closed. It could be for a number of reasons. While I'm not a regular at Amazing or any other hot dog joint, I know of people who went once a week. When it was mentioned to me that the Verona restaurant was closed, I just thought maybe one or both of the guys were on vacation. When I was in Bound Brook last Saturday I asked about Verona. All I was told was that it was closed and it wasn't clear if or when it would open.

As far as what's going on, it might not be anyone's business, but I would think that at least Eric would put up a sign saying that they were closed until further notice. Someone I know made the trip twice only to be disappointed. Matt, the other owner was at Bound Brook and assured me that they would remain open. I wish both guys luck and hope everything gets sorted out.

John the hot dog guy

I don't know why the Verona location closed. It could be for a number of reasons. While I'm not a regular at Amazing or any other hot dog joint, I know of people who went once a week. When it was mentioned to me that the Verona restaurant was closed, I just thought maybe one or both of the guys were on vacation. When I was in Bound Brook last Saturday I asked about Verona. All I was told was that it was closed and it wasn't clear if or when it would open.

As far as what's going on, it might not be anyone's business, but I would think that at least Eric would put up a sign saying that they were closed until further notice. Someone I know made the trip twice only to be disappointed. Matt, the other owner was at Bound Brook and assured me that they would remain open. I wish both guys luck and hope everything gets sorted out.

So is it not a sure thing then that it's gone for good?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis