• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

Folks, I do so appreciate the energy and compassion behind some of your posts and PMs about AHD. It is only since yesterday that I feel that I can post freely about what is going on. I hope the simplicity of my post is sufficient. The Verona location HAS indeed closed. I have chosen to remove myself from the company to pursue other opportunities. Matt still owns and operates the Bound Brook location so rest assured the quality of the food remains in the hands of an original owner. I encourage ALL of you to support AHD by going to Bound Brook and eating there—I know I will.

On a side note, I was shocked to hear that Callahan’s has closed its doors and read some posts by John Fox and others about the dying breed of Mom and Pop shops. Despite the appearance and image of AHD, it does fall into the category of Mom and Pop operations rather than a big chain. Please don't read into this the wrong way; AHD in Bound Brook is doing fine. I'm just saying that in general, it is totally up to US, those of us who are passionate about food, to ensure the survival of our favorite restaurants. Times are tough all over, so only the strong will survive. One of my vendors told me yesterday that he lost 4 accounts this month—2 of which closed their doors and walked away. It is a harsh reality of our current economic landscape.

I wish Matt all due success and prosperity and know that Bound Brook will continue to honor what we created in the original AHD concept.

Eric Eisenbud

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Folks, I do so appreciate the energy and compassion behind some of your posts and PMs about AHD.  It is only since yesterday that I feel that I can post freely about what is going on.  I hope the simplicity of my post is sufficient.  The Verona location HAS indeed closed. I have chosen to remove myself from the company to pursue other opportunities.  Matt still owns and operates the Bound Brook location so rest assured the quality of the food remains in the hands of an original owner.  I encourage ALL of you to support AHD by going to Bound Brook and eating there—I know I will. 

On a side note, I was shocked to hear that Callahan’s has closed its doors and read some posts by John Fox and others about the dying breed of Mom and Pop shops.  Despite the appearance and image of AHD, it does fall into the category of Mom and Pop operations rather than a big chain. Please don't read into this the wrong way; AHD in Bound Brook is doing fine. I'm just saying that in general, it is totally up to US, those of us who are passionate about food, to ensure the survival of our favorite restaurants. Times are tough all over, so only the strong will survive. One of my vendors told me yesterday that he lost 4 accounts this month—2 of which closed their doors and walked away.  It is a harsh reality of our current economic landscape. 

I wish Matt all due success and prosperity and know that Bound Brook will continue to honor what we created in the original AHD concept. 

Eric Eisenbud

Eric, thank you for the post. As I said in my previous post, this matter had to do completely with your business, and, as a fellow business owner I can certainly understand your hesitancy and delay in posting, commenting, etc. Be that as it may, as I also said -- personally, I felt you had absolutely no obligation to comment/post, nor did you "owe" anyone anything with regard to that.

With that being said, the "consumer" occasionally feels they are "owed" an explanation or just simply feel a comment is appropriate. You certainly stepped up to the plate, and I commend you for that.

I would like to personally wish you the best of luck and all great success in your future endeavors. And, if you are looking to open a hotdog "joint" -- let me know! LOL.

Eric

Folks, I do so appreciate the energy and compassion behind some of your posts and PMs about AHD.  It is only since yesterday that I feel that I can post freely about what is going on.  I hope the simplicity of my post is sufficient.  The Verona location HAS indeed closed. I have chosen to remove myself from the company to pursue other opportunities.  Matt still owns and operates the Bound Brook location so rest assured the quality of the food remains in the hands of an original owner.  I encourage ALL of you to support AHD by going to Bound Brook and eating there—I know I will. 

On a side note, I was shocked to hear that Callahan’s has closed its doors and read some posts by John Fox and others about the dying breed of Mom and Pop shops.  Despite the appearance and image of AHD, it does fall into the category of Mom and Pop operations rather than a big chain. Please don't read into this the wrong way; AHD in Bound Brook is doing fine. I'm just saying that in general, it is totally up to US, those of us who are passionate about food, to ensure the survival of our favorite restaurants. Times are tough all over, so only the strong will survive. One of my vendors told me yesterday that he lost 4 accounts this month—2 of which closed their doors and walked away.  It is a harsh reality of our current economic landscape. 

Eric Eisenbud

Eric,

I wish you much success in your future endeavors. I enjoyed the Hot Dogs at the Verona location and thought that some of the toppings you and Matt prepared were the most original I had ever seen.

I always thought that if you were located on an area of Bloomfield Ave. with more foot traffic that you would do more business, but your tireless efforts in promoting the enterprise helped sustain interest for a long time. Please keep everyone apprised of new projects, I will do my best to come out and support the effort should you decide to open another restaurant.

I spoke with Matt who told me that he will be closed for the weekend in case some of you were planning on making the trip to Amazing. He reiterated that he will be there at least during lunch hours everyday.

Amazing is now using a new dog. It's the same size and shape of what's always been served there. Again it is a tasty, well seasoned beef dog. The brand is Sabrett. This particular dog, probably because of it's size, seems less spicy and garlicky than the smaller Sabretts that you get at Papaya King or dirty water trucks and carts. It goes well with either mustard only or the topping combinations offered. Customers at Bound Brook prefer this dog to the New England dog that Amazing was using. I've tasted the 2 side by side just before the switch, and I prefer the Sabrett frank. A better flavor, and I liked the texture better also. The dogs are made nearby and Matt can get them fresh in smaller quantities. The previous company required a large minimum purchase.

As some of you might know, I run the Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. We try to add some new places while rotating old favorites. Everything is planned out well in advance and the stops are picked so that they are fairly close to one another. Two years ago we visited the Verona location of Amazing Hot Dog. Closeby was Tony's Truck and Dickie Dees which also were included. I wanted to add the Bound Brook store this year, but can't because of logistics. We are looking to either add it next year or later in the fall as part of a separate trip feturing a few places in that particular area.

The bus is already filled for this year's Tour. I'm sorry that I didn't post here earlier. Most people that attend the Tour are members of Roadfood where details are posted. Rather than add additional buses, we decidied to limit the Tour to just one. It would take too long at some of these places to serve more than 50 people. There is a waiting list however for people who are interested in attending. Some cancel and some are removed from the list if payment isn't received by a certain date. If you are interested in being put on the waiting list, please contact me.

Also contact me if you are interested in being included on a smaller tour in either late Fall or Early Winter. Amazing Hot Dog would be the featured stop along with Middlesex Texas Weiners and perhaps one or two more places.

John the hot dog guy

Oh John I would love to be there. I just spend too much time in FL now and on the road so I would have to pin down a date way in advance.

Please enjoy and let us know all the details!

Will do! Although 50 people is a lot to be descending upon a hot dog joint, we are seriously considering getting another bus. I'd hate to have anyone miss out who really wants to go. I'm sorry that I did not post on Egullet sooner as this Tour sold out quicker than any other. I have been contacted by people from this site who do want to go but weren't aware of it until I mentioned it here.

I will start a new thread and post more info soon. If we do add another bus I will make sure that the places we visit will be able to accomodate more than 50 people within a reasonable amount of time. This year's Tour will be Saturday, Sept. 20.

John the hot dog guy

Hello all ,

Sorry to hear AHD in Verona has closed . We had a fantastic time tow years ago on the 3rd Annnual Jersey Hot Dog Tour .

This year we have added a second bus for the 5th Annual , so anyone interested feel free to email me at benzee95@hotmail.com

Most of the announcements are made on Roadfood but we will try to keep everyone up to date here at e gullet.

Benzee

Will do! Although 50 people is a lot to be descending upon a hot dog joint, we are seriously considering getting another bus. I'd hate to have anyone miss out who really wants to go. I'm sorry that I did not post on Egullet sooner as this Tour sold out quicker than any other. I have been contacted by people from this site who do want to go but weren't aware of it until I mentioned it here.

I will start a new thread and post more info soon. If we do add another bus I will make sure that the places we visit will be able to accomodate more than 50 people within a reasonable amount of time. This year's Tour will be Saturday, Sept. 20.

• 3 weeks later...

New Jersey Monthly just came out with their Restaurant Issue. I was able to get a quick look at work. Restaurants in all different categories are voted on according to regions. North, Central, South, and Editor's or Nj Monthly's Choice. Amazing Hot Dog was named best hot dog by NJ Monthly. Congratulations, Matt!

John the hot dog guy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This Sunday at noon a few fellow hot dog lovers will be meeting at Amazing Hot Dog for lunch. Anyone interested in joining us, please feel free to stop in. A friend of mine, John Sagi, who has his own hot dog website, The Gourmet Chili Dog: http://thegourmetchilidog.com/ will be there. John loves chili dogs and makes chili at home. I've had some of his Coney Island style chili and it is fantastic. One of my three favorite hot dog chilis is at the Coney Island Restaurant in Middletown, N.Y. John's chili tastes exactly like it. He will be bringing several types of chili for us to sample and offer opinions.

Matt will be there to sample the chili as well. You can have it on the side or put it on your dog.

John the hot dog guy

We had a great time at Amazing Hot Dog yesterday. It's been awhile since I last went (Bound Brook is a little distance for me) and the dogs were outstanding. The transitional period is over and Matt has the place running smoothly. It was crowded shortly after we arrived at noon.

Included is the link from Roadfood where our outing is described. We hope to visit a different place every month or every other month. Anyone is invited to join us.

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31393

John the hot dog guy

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow, Tuesday 1/13, Good Day New York on Fox 5 will show a live segment from Amazing Hot Dog. Matt will be preparing a New Jersey Breakfast Dog. His other unique creations will also be displayed. The show airs from 7 to 9 AM. Amazing will be featured around 8:40.

John the hot dog guy

• 2 months later...

Tomorrow, Saturday March 14th will be the last day for Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook. I had heard through the grapevine that they would be closing soon. I stopped in today and found out that they will be closed for good after tomorrow.

Word had gotten out locally as the place was very busy, which is unusual for late afternoon after the lunch rush, as well it being a Friday during Lent when observant Catholics don't eat meat. I got a chance to speak to Matt who confirmed that tomorrow will be the last day.

I am saddened that yet another great hot dog restaurant will be leaving us. In the last couple of years we have lost Syd's, all 3 Callahan's locations, Irvington's Jimmy Buff's, Eagan's, my favorite Connecticut place, Rosco's Big Dog, and now Amazing Hot Dog. I'm happy that I was able to enjoy one last delicious dog today. Although I'm not big on condiments, Amazing had the best homemade toppings in the business. One of the 5 best chilis I've had and one of the very best, if not the best french fries. Not to mention the best deep fried dog. The quarter pounder was consistently hot, fresh, and juicy. I had my final dog with some spicy brown mustard and a birch beer. It was voted best deep fried dog by the Munchmobile Team (of which I was a member and voted it #1) and best hot dog in N.J. by New Jersey Monthly magazine the last 2 years.

Matt and Eric put a lot of time, energy, and love into Amazing Hot Dog. It will be missed. Matt had a chance to say that now he will have a lot of free time to join us on some of our hot dog tastings. I wish him well.

I suggest you head up to Amazing Hot Dog tommorow for a last dog or 2. And those fries. But go early. They may close early if they run out of hot dogs.

John the hot dog guy