• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

I live in south Florida, and a Hess station (that's a brand of gas) has and Amazing Hot Dog stand in the station, complete with the flying guy logo. Did the Amazing Hot Dog folks lease out the name, or are they selling franchises? I have not tried the hot dogs yet, but the use of the logo made me curious.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I don't know. I was told that it was closed and it wasn't clear if it would open or not. That's the extent of it. Until someone posts any new info, it would be best to call before you make the trip, or else go to Bound Brook.

John the hot dog guy

My response was to Johnny H's post.

Thanks. You'd think that someone in the know might, at the least, be interested in clearing things up.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Thanks. You'd think that someone in the know might, at the least, be interested in clearing things up.

Drove over there a couple minutes ago and the place is indeed dark. More ominous is the fact that the hot dog paraphernalia's all been removed from the front windows. Looks as though they're done for good.

-- Albert Ellis

Drove over there a couple minutes ago and the place is indeed dark. More ominous is the fact that the hot dog paraphernalia's all been removed from the front windows. Looks as though they're done for good.

I drove by myself today. Indeed, all of the window decor is gone, all of the stools are up on the side counter, and it appeared that all of the tables were removed. Definitely doesn't look promising.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I am (was) a big fan of AHD. The owners were very open about their initial effort to open a new business and I think they really used Egullet to build their business, with good results! I'm kind of mystified by the complete silence....What's going on?

Very often when a business (of any kind) closes, there are legitimate reasons for those involved to refrain from public discussions of the details. While it’s nice that people care enough to wonder ‘aloud’ here on eG about what happened, perhaps the guys aren't ready or able to share anything publicly right now.

But you can still get those Amazing Hot Dogs and fries that we all love in Bound Brook...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Of course you are right Curlz but in this instance (like Melt) AHD used the board to pretty much vet everything about building, sustaining and expanding their business model.

One reason internet dialogue is so infuriating is that is often one way - take. People generously give ideas in the hope of some feedback (well, some people). The community is usually trying to learn something through the discourse.

"Melt" was a great example; a complete cycle, the proprietor left little doubt about why he was moving on...

Gonna miss the dogs - but really - the fries.

Edited by waves2ya (log)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Of course you are right Curlz but in this instance (like Melt) AHD used the board to pretty much vet everything about building, sustaining and expanding their business model.

One reason internet dialogue is so infuriating is that is often one way - take.  People generous give ideas in the hope of some feedback (well, some people).  The community is usually trying to learn something through the discourse.

"Melt" was a great example; a complete cycle, the proprietor left little doubt about why he was moving on...

Gonna miss the dogs - but really - the fries.

This is essentially my point as well. Let me be clear, though, as someone who has in the past been in the unfortunate position of having had a business be less successful than I hoped, that I'm not looking for Eric to come on here and bare his soul. It can be a shattering experience, and he has every right to his privacy -- both for legal and emotional reasons. I don't, though, think it's asking too much for him to let us know that the place has closed.

Edited by JohnnyH (log)

-- Albert Ellis

Let me start by saying I have been a big fan of AH since the first store opened in Verona. My wife and I went to the Boundbrook location for lunch today and had an absolutely horrible experience. There were 2 employees working, a cashier and hot dog preparer. There was no sign of Matt or Eric.

We arrived at 12:20 and stood in line for 15 minutes to order. There were only 5 people in line ahead of me but it took 15 minutes for the cashier to take their orders. The cashier was not helping to prepare food, he was only taking and handing out orders. There was an angry mob waiting for their food. Why were they angry? I soon found out as I became just as angry. From the time I ordered and paid, (time stamped on my reciept) it took 50 minutes to recieve part of the order and another 15 minutes to get the balance of the order. During this hour wait the angry mob grew larger and angrier. There was much screaming, cursing and bad attitude. And that was just from the woman making the hot dogs. The mob was even worse. Some asked for their money back and recieved it. Others just left with no refund and food. Some were given the wrong items but took them just to get something and get out of there.

I asked the cashier where Matt was and was told "I wish he were here". I asked what was the problem and was told by the cashier "I don't really work here, I'm just helping out. Everyone had to go to an affair" Among her ranting the woman making the hot dogs told the waiting mob, "I'm really just supposed to be a cashier, I don't really know what I'm doing." Truer words were never spoken. Orders (including mine) were lost, most were made wrong, all were delivered missing one or more ordered items. The cashier kept saying he was sorry for the wait, mistakes and confusion but made no effort to compensate anybody for the problems.

The most common phrase uttered by the customers was "I'm never coming back here again". I have been wondering why the Verona location closed when the the hot dogs are so wonderful. I may have gotten my answer today.

BTW, when we finally got them, the dogs were wonderful, which makes the horrible way this place is being run even more of a tragedy.

I know the owners haven't commented on the Verona closing which I find understandable due to the emotional and possibly the legal issues involved in a store closing. I do hope they can respond to the service issues I encountered today in Boundbrook.

Your experience was unfortunate. I'm sure the fact that Matt wasn't there is the reason for the subpar service. Every time I've ever gone to either location, Matt, Eric, or both were there.

Both times I went to Bound Brook, my hot dogs were prepared well and service was quick. Last time I spoke with Matt and while he didn't comment on the Verona closing or what is going on there, he did say that he was working 15 hours a day at Bound Brook and had only one day off in the last few months.

It seems that it is rare for Matt to be away from the store. I would call and make sure he is there next time you get a craving for a hot dog.

John the hot dog guy

Jeffreys 1,

I spoke with Matt today. He read your post and wishes to apologize for what happened yesterday. It was his intention to post here, but he is not a registered member of Egullet. Apparently it takes one to three days to register and prospective new members have to compose an essay explaining why they want to join Egullet. When Matt is registered, he will address what happened. He was not in the restaurant yesterday because of family obligations. Amazing Hot Dog is in a transitional period and Matt said that things will be getting back to normal. He also told me to relay to you that he will not be missing any time during the lunch hours. He will be there every day to make sure things run smoothly. He asks that you be patient and wait for him to be able to come on here and speak for himself.

A good friend of mine was at Bound Brook this past week and according to him, everything was exceptional as usual. I was also there 2 or 3 weeks ago and the dogs and service were great. Yesterday was an aberration; one that Matt assures will not happen again.

John the hot dog guy

Let me start by saying that, I have never posted before, but i do keep up on what is being said, I am not very internet savvy, and don't feel it is my place to be posting on certain things. I cannot comment on Verona at this point, since there are other factors at work there, but hopefully when the time is right you will all be informed.

The one thing I do have control over is the Bound Brook Location. Jeffreys 1, I truly do apologize for your horrible experience. I am there every lunch, everyday 7 days a week, I had a family obligation that I had to attend to, I was out of the store from 11am-2pm, and as our friend Murphy's law would have it, we got slammed. We had a group of 25 seniors dropped off at the store at noon, which ran into our regular lunch rush, combined with extra large phone in orders, all made for the perfect storm. My cashier on friday happened to be one of my cousins, who has had very limited experience at the register, but again I had an obligation that I had to be at. He did the best he could. As for my girl that was doing the topping and cooking, that is MY job, but she has filled in doing it, but the volume was just to much for her and she couldn't keep up. She is usually the cashier.Her and I have very good chemistry when we work together, and we can handle very high volumes of orders.

And yes we are going through a little transition period, but that is no excuse, nor is any of the other reasons listed an excuse, my employees should treat everyone with consideration and respect, and again I apologize if you were not treated this way.

I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY of what happened on Friday the 13th in Bound Brook. I vow to never leave during lunch again. I can only ask that if you like the product and enjoy AHD, please come back and I promise to make your experience an Amazing one. Please introduce yourself.

Matt

Matt, I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post about my experience at AHD on Friday. I do accept your apology and believe it to be sincere. You don't know me by name but we have spoken in the Verona store on a couple of occasions quite a while ago. This was my first visit to Boundbrook.

I will return and give Boundbrook another try since I truly enjoy your dogs and consider them the best in NJ. Since I live in Monmouth county it will likely be a while before I get up your way again.

So, we have a bad experience, a sincere apology, an acceptance -- and now it's time to move on. How about a "group hug" -- LOL.

I am very much looking forward to going to the Bound Brook location.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
So that's it?!?!

NO REPLY on what happened to the Verona location?

Here today gone tomorrow??

I think those of us that frequented the Verona location at LEAST deserve

an explanation.

-Al

Why?

The timing of any explanation is solely the province of Amazing Hot Dog. I suspect attention is focused elsewhere at this time. I also suspect there may be issues that best remain within the business.

For now, enjoy Amazing Hot Dogs in Bound Brook.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly, I don't disagree. BUT, as someone who has been there in double digits and recommended AHD to many people, I do hope that at SOME POINT a response is given.

They don't actually OWE ME anything. They provided me with a couple of years of great dogs and fries.

I am not asking for a 2 page apology letter, just a brief explanation.

Is that too much to ask?

-Al

The Amazing Hot Dog stand that I reported on here in Pompano Beach is no more; it morphed into an "All American Hot Dog" joint. I think we're being watched :huh::rolleyes::shock:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"