• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

Hey guys,

I just want to get the word out there that instead of closing for a week of vacation, we have decided to close on SUNDAYS ONLY!! from July 22nd thru September 2nd. Please spread the word.

As always we thank the Egullet community for their friendship and support.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Lima bean! Hot dog Heaven, in MHO, is not worth a visit (although, come by to Picnic and say hi, cause I think we might be worth a drive). Make it to Amazin. I too, was a huge fan of J and H back in my high school and college days when we were so darned daring to cross the passaic river into Paterson. Hop on the Parkway, head to Amazin. I've never introduced myself to the owner, but I am a big big fan...

CN

Hey guys,

I just want to get the word out there that instead of closing for a week of vacation, we have decided to close on SUNDAYS ONLY!! from July 22nd thru September 2nd.  Please spread the word. 

As always we thank the Egullet community for their friendship and support.

Eric

Dont skimp on the rolls for Saturday though...you have a motorcycle club coming for dinner. We dont want anyone to go hungry ( ha )

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

funny, we took a ride this past sunday, went down the pkwy took bloomfield ave all the way to verona....AND MISSED IT? :blink::shock::wacko: we'll try again this weekend Saturday and be sure to take mapquest with us....hahahah

picnic....were you a "cutter"? once? don't tell me that?

limabean

funny, we took a ride this past sunday, went down the pkwy took bloomfield ave all the way to verona....AND MISSED IT?  :blink:  :shock:  :wacko: we'll try again this weekend Saturday and be sure to take mapquest with us....hahahah

limabean

Well, yes, I was a cutter, once. As a matter of fact, 25 years ago. Reunion this weekend.

wow too funny, I am a crimson grad from 81....now I swapped teams and live in ridgewood...remember those rival thanksgiving day games...hahahah

funny, we took a ride this past sunday, went down the pkwy took bloomfield ave all the way to verona....AND MISSED IT?  :blink:  :shock:  :wacko: we'll try again this weekend Saturday and be sure to take mapquest with us....hahahah

limabean

Well, yes, I was a cutter, once. As a matter of fact, 25 years ago. Reunion this weekend.

Well, thank goodness that ended, otherwise you'd be in trouble! Saturday, as I said, is our 25th reunion. 85 bucks for a crappy buffet at the Marriott in Park Ridge and a cash bar...Can't beat it though!

wow too funny, I am a crimson grad from 81....now I swapped teams and live in ridgewood...remember those rival thanksgiving day games...hahahah

limabean

Take Bloomfield Avenue through Montclair, and after you cross over Prospect Ave/Rt. 23, you'll see an Acura dealer on your right. AHD is the immediate right after the Acura parking lot--in a small strip of about 6 stores.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Garden State Motorcycle Club did a short ride to Amazing Hot Dog this afternoon

Here is the Owner Eric trying to decide which bike he wants

gallery_23695_426_304543.jpg

I think we wants the brand new one with the cool pinstriping

gallery_23695_426_207474.jpg

I really tried to muscle my way in between the animals - I mean my fellow club members to get a shot of what was ordered, but this is the best I could do over the crowd

gallery_23695_426_280446.jpg

I think everyone was very happy

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

AHD was named the critic's pick for best hot dogs in NJ in the new issue of New Jersey Monthly. Congrats, guys!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

There are a group of 4 of us that have been visiting a different hot dog stand every other week or so. I think we are up to 8 or 10 different places just in Bergen County alone, some of us have been in Passaic county. This week we finally made it to AHD, next to the acura dealer...and didn't pass it up.

We tried 5 different types of toppings and fries of course. We all thought the fries were the best thing we've had in years...a clear winner. Unfortunately, NONE of us enjoyed the hot dog. Perhaps we just don't like an All Beef dog, but it was a very filling dog, tasted like we were at Yankee stadium, too garlicy/spicy/ and the we also didn't think the potato bun goes well with the dog, too sweet and certainly the roll is too filling as well. We didn't think the dog snapped when you bit into it, in fact the skin on the HD seemed too thick and almost chewy. We didn't finish our second dogs. The chili sauce tasted too much like a mexican/chocolate chili, the sauted onions were not favored either. SORRY, we really wanted to post something more positive, but we had very high expectations.

I could see if one of us didn't like it, but it was unanimous for all of us.

We prefer a bigger dog like AHD, but a mix between pork and beef. All of us believe that Hiram's is worth the 18 mile ride from our house. We could easily eat 3 each, the dogs snap, they are pipping hot, the roll is lite and toated, any topping is an extra benefit, we like the grilled onions (simple) and the chili.

While we will give Bourbon BBQ a few more tries, we will not be back to AHD.

Maybe it's the unique toppings that puts this place on the map, but if you just ate the dog, would you go back. Interestingly, we ordered one plain dog and the owner said "PLAIN"? perhaps that was our first tip off.

LIMABEAN :sad:

I think I speak for many of us who have remained silent in response to this review by saying that I am completely shocked by your negative review! :shock:

You and your group are certainly entitled to your opinions, but I couldn't disagree more. To compare this to a Yankee Stadium dog is just a disgrace, not to mention flat out disrespectful.

In addition to say the hot dog is bad because it is too filling may be one thing but to make your point by saying that you can eat more of them at another establishment makes no sense. That would be like saying that you get a better burger at White Castle than you do at Michael's Roscommon House because you can eat more of them.

There are a group of 4 of us that have been visiting a different hot dog stand every other week or so.  I think we are up to 8 or 10 different places just in Bergen County alone, some of us have been in Passaic county. This week we finally made it to AHD, next to the acura dealer...and didn't pass it up. 

We tried 5 different types of toppings and fries of course.  We all thought the fries were the best thing we've had in years...a clear winner.  Unfortunately, NONE of us enjoyed the hot dog.  Perhaps we just don't like an All Beef dog, but it was a very filling dog, tasted like we were at Yankee stadium, too garlicy/spicy/ and the we also didn't think the potato bun goes well with the dog, too sweet and certainly the roll is too filling as well.  We didn't think the dog snapped when you bit into it, in fact the skin on the HD seemed too thick and almost chewy. We didn't finish our second dogs.  The chili sauce tasted too much like a mexican/chocolate chili, the sauted onions were not favored either.  SORRY, we really wanted to post something more positive, but we had very high expectations. 

We prefer a bigger dog like AHD, but a mix between pork and beef.  All of us believe that Hiram's is worth the 18 mile ride from our house. We could easily eat 3 each, the dogs snap, they are pipping hot, the roll is lite and toated, any topping is an extra benefit, we like the grilled onions (simple) and the chili.

Maybe it's the unique toppings that puts this place on the map, but if you just ate the dog, would you go back.  Interestingly, we ordered one plain dog and the owner said "PLAIN"? perhaps that was our first tip off. 

LIMABEAN  :sad:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Whoa, everybody's entitled to an opinion...

I've always wondered why there has never been an even partially negative review of AHD.

Personally--and I've been twice---I thought the dogs were good but not great. Specifically both times I was there the hot dogs were a bit cold. I know for sure the second time they were sitting on some kind of warmer, rather than being taken out of the oil (like Rutt's). I agree with almost all posters that the fries were superlative, but I would rather have them in a smaller portion for less money.

I would definitely stop there if I was in the 'hood but to echo John the Hot Dog Maven my favorites are Syd's dogs or Usinger's right off my grill.

I think I speak for many of us who have remained silent in response to this review by saying that I am completely shocked by your negative review!  :shock:

You and your group are certainly entitled to your opinions, but I couldn't disagree more.  To compare this to a Yankee Stadium dog is just a disgrace, not to mention flat out disrespectful.

In addition to say the hot dog is bad because it is too filling may be one thing but to make your point by saying that you can eat more of them at another establishment makes no sense.  That would be like saying that you get a better burger at White Castle than you do at Michael's Roscommon House because you can eat more of them.

There are a group of 4 of us that have been visiting a different hot dog stand every other week or so.  I think we are up to 8 or 10 different places just in Bergen County alone, some of us have been in Passaic county. This week we finally made it to AHD, next to the acura dealer...and didn't pass it up. 

We tried 5 different types of toppings and fries of course.  We all thought the fries were the best thing we've had in years...a clear winner.  Unfortunately, NONE of us enjoyed the hot dog.  Perhaps we just don't like an All Beef dog, but it was a very filling dog, tasted like we were at Yankee stadium, too garlicy/spicy/ and the we also didn't think the potato bun goes well with the dog, too sweet and certainly the roll is too filling as well.  We didn't think the dog snapped when you bit into it, in fact the skin on the HD seemed too thick and almost chewy. We didn't finish our second dogs.  The chili sauce tasted too much like a mexican/chocolate chili, the sauted onions were not favored either.  SORRY, we really wanted to post something more positive, but we had very high expectations. 

We prefer a bigger dog like AHD, but a mix between pork and beef.  All of us believe that Hiram's is worth the 18 mile ride from our house. We could easily eat 3 each, the dogs snap, they are pipping hot, the roll is lite and toated, any topping is an extra benefit, we like the grilled onions (simple) and the chili.

Maybe it's the unique toppings that puts this place on the map, but if you just ate the dog, would you go back.  Interestingly, we ordered one plain dog and the owner said "PLAIN"? perhaps that was our first tip off. 

LIMABEAN  :sad:

i think it's obvious that people give AHD the benefit of the doubt because Eric (one of the owners) is a part of the egullet community and is a good guy who has a good locally owned restaurant making good food. there's nothing wrong with lending support in the way of positive reviews given the context, and i can't fault anyone for doing so. although , i do feel that there has been a bit of smoke blowing up the ol' arse over the course of this thread. i'm not in a position to speculate about, nor do i really care, what the motivations might be there.

the dogs are big. no doubt about it. 1/4 lb dog on a potato roll is no joke. i've expressed that opinion here or on my blog or on chowhound or somewhere, so i agree with limabean on that point. i like to rock on 2 or 3 dogs rather than just one. but i appreciate AHD for what it is, and i'm totally down with it. i love the chili and appreciate that it's totally different than the average north jersey chili sauce. but putting it all in perspective, and not comparing it to other north jersey places point for point, it's a great place. any other comparison or expectations do AHD and the diner a disservice.

There are many different types of dogs and ways of preparing them. Not to mention people have differing tastes. I don't know if it's fair to compare Amazing Hot Dog to say, Rutt's Hut. Both places serve fried hot dogs, but it's like comparing apples to oranges. Amazing serves a well seasoned beef dog that's big in size, while Rutt's serves a mostly pork based dog that is made to puff up. Then there is the whole condiment thing. I think the Rutts dog goes great with their unique relish. And I like their smaller size so I can eat many of them.

I also like the chili at Amazing, as well as their other fine toppings. But when I have a flavorful beef dog, the great majority of the time I only have mustard on it. Despite the top quality toppings and combinations, I still get the basic dog (Classic) with just mustard.

The dog served at Amazing (Best's) is my favorite beef dog. But I prefer it in a different size and usually a different way of preparation (grilled). But that's just my taste and opinion. To me, the dogs are short and fat rather than longer and thinner, which I prefer. Again, it's a matter of taste. And while I like dogs deep fried, most of the time I seek them grilled. Like Syd's used to. Jimmy Buffs in East Hanover serves the Syd's dog. You can get it prepared like Syd's if you wish. Or you can get it sauteed in the oil, then finished off on a charcoal grill. This happens to be my favorite dog. I like it even better than the Syd's dog. Syd's, by the way, is gone for good.

One criticism I have of Amazing Hot Dogs is that the dogs are often not hot enough. I'm not saying cold, but cool or warm in the middle. Not hot. I know from speaking with Eric that his goal is to fry the dogs (he calls it flash frying) sufficiently without having them rip open (like a ripper) thereby keeping in the flavorful juices. The result is a tasty dog, but all too often the dogs are not heated to the degree that I like. This may be due to them not spending enough time in the fryer or because of the thickness of the dogs themselves, or both. I don't know. But it's something that I notice most of the time when I have a dog from there.

John the hot dog guy

Hey team....I think readers want honest opinions. Anyone who enjoys a good hot dog realizes there are different tastes to suit different people for all of the reason stated above. There are 14 pages of posts here, so most people like AHD, so that's a good thing. Our group of novice hot dog foodies, with less than 20 joints under our belt, have a different opinion. Any foodie will read all of these posts and make their own decision. If they "bank" not going just because of our posts, then they don't understand about food, now do they.

We are the same team that after 3 visits, still don't like Boubon BBQ either.

We don't play politics, we are not connected to Egullet, we are not chefs, we do not own a resturant. We are true foodies that try to experience all different tastes and write honest opinions. We have no motivations or alterative motives.

If you don't want opinions that differ from other folks, then Egullet will no longer be successful. No one wants a forum/board/blog that screens opinions or frowns the wrong opinon.

LimaBean

• 2 months later...

Hey Eric what happened with the new location?

Tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

Hey Eric what happened with the new location?

Well, I guess it's time I let the cat out of the bag, huh? Matt and I are currently working on our second location in Bound Brook. Our broker searched far and wide and came across a most wonderful location. Formerly a Quizno's, it is twice the size of our Verona location, and the area has at least twice the traffic. It is sufficiently out of the flood zone, 1/4 mile from the Somerset Patriots' Commerce Bank Stadium, 1/4 mile off exit 13 of Rt 287 South, 1/8th of a mile from a HUGE Costco/Home Depot shopping plaza. We are sharing a building with 3 National franchises; a 24 hour 7-11, a nice new Radio Shack, and a Great Clips hair salon. There is ample parking as well as more seating (approx 30 seats). We have an anticipated opening date of December 1st. It is a very exiting time for our company and a pivotal point in our growth.

Thanks for asking, Rooftop.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Sweet- The only thing better would be on Route 22 but that location on 28 is very central. I know where we're hitting for dinner after our trips to Effinger's.

The light by ShopRite stinks though. Very congested.

Nice to have an alternative to the Plainfieldstyle dogs at Texas Weiner in Green Brook. You should kick butt at lunch time. Get a Costa Rican dog on the menu.

Wouldn't it be great to get an Amazin' at the ballgame? You can't get much closer- maybe it's time for some emails to the Patriots.

• 1 month later...

One of the head elves at AHD tells me that the Bound Brook location will open on Monday, Dec. 17th.

Congratulations, guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by at the Bound Brook Amazing Hot Dog location on opening day, Monday. The dogs here are very, very, very meaty. In both size and spicing, this is a serious dog. Personally, I'm more of a fan of thinner, milder, snappier dogs, but this was an experience.

It also didn't really help things that I convinced myself I needed to order three hot dogs and fries (which were bumped up to a large size). This was a ton of food (and not cheap at, like, $17+ dollars, but technically all you really need is one to make a meal.

I thought the quality of the overall package very good, if not exactly what I was expecting. Even in the face of copious toppings, the flavor and texture of the dog really comes through. I had the Asian dog, the Jersey Breakfast, and Caped Crusader. Although I expected to like the Jersey Breakfast the most, it was actually my least favorite. The Asian featured a nice balance of savory and sweet. The Caped Crusader is a classic but I found the chili a bit too sweet in this case. The Jersey Breakfast was almost too rich and salty.

Good spot if you want a seriously meaty dog.

I stopped into Bound Brook for lunch, my first AHD experience.

Kudos for cleanliness, the place is spotless, which is a MAJOR step up from the local hot dog joints down here in Somerset county. That alone will have me coming back.

The dog was good- I went with a classic with relish and mustard. defintely a meal all by itself and I like the heavy spice. I stayed away from the specialties on my first trip so I could get a feel for the dog alone.

The fries were very good, sizzling hot. I may have missed it, but is vinegar available for them?

My only drawback- I just don't get potato rolls. Too heavy a texture and sweet flavor for me, and I grew up in PA and even lived in Chambersburg (The holy city of Potato rolls) for almost a year.

Service was great, store was crowded but not jammed. Hopefully business will be solid there for years to come.