Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

Gee would have been nice to let us know Ahead of time so we could party, party, party

Congrats

you guys are really killin me all the HDs near my job suck

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of Amazing Hot Dog. One year ago today they opened their doors for the first time!

:biggrin:  :biggrin:

What a wild year its been. Congratulations to Eric and Matt!

Cool. Thanks for the reminder.

Going there tonight for some dogs. They are the best. Hmm, what wine? Got a nice Tuscan blend from friends at Banville and Jones, I think I will pop that open.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Congratulations again to Eric and Matt!!

AHD was voted as having the Best Hot Dogs in Northern NJ (with Rutt's Hutt at #2) on the AOL CityGuide poll...

Of course, WE already knew this. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

And congrats on the mention in New Jersey Monthly (Feb 07 issue) -- Cheap Eats -- (well, quality and value for under $15, actually!)

Thanks SueWho321 and Curlz for your congratulations!! Seems that this recognition combined with the word of mouth that has been building since we re-opened has really got us buzzing niceley.

Thanks again guys!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

• 4 weeks later...

I finally made it to Amazing Hot Dog.

As I told the owners, I have a strong hot dog "history." My late father worked for Sabrett for 41 years, and when he retired, opened a Jewish deli in Houston, Tx. I've been around dogs for a very, very long time.

My lunch at AHD was exactly what I expected. The place is a throwback to my youth, when it was about the food, not the packaging. Their all-beef Best's dogs are excellent, and well-prepared. The roll was spectacularly fresh and appropriately sized. Great brown mustard, and in the right quantity. Kraut was tender but still crisp, a far cry from the out-of-the-bag or limp stuff you usually get.

The side of chili was sweet and spicy. A little sweet for my tastes, but not cloying. Good texture, without fat or water swimming around.

The fries were very nice, speckled with coarse salt, tender and crisp, creamy inside. Those mealy frozen fries are awful, aren't they? It's nice to get a fresh fry, fried twice in clean oil, once in a while, particularly with a quality dog.

My tastes--and my habits--run toward kosher franks, these days, particularly Empire National casing franks. However, Best makes a good product, and these gentlemen know the "flavor profile" they are looking to establish.

The limeade, by the way, is wonderful.

I can recommend AHD without reservations. It's a good value, with nice, knowledgeable, welcoming owners. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

There's a new dog on the menu at Amazing Hot Dog.

It's called the Asian Dog. It's a Classic (the no bacon dog) with Sambal, Peanut Butter, Teriyaki Sauce, Sesame Seeds and Scallions. Really good with that sate/Thai peanut flavor. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late addition to this thread.

I am always in search of the perfect dog.

To me, a dog done well is as good as a ribeye. (It's all aboout the food right?)

I sense a trip up north in my future.

Chicks dig wheelguns.

Duh -- I forgot to mention that AHD is now using oil that has 0 transfat in all their cooking.

Isn't that an FDA regulation now?

Menton,

While the use of Zero Trans Fats oil is required by law in NY, It is not a requirement at this time in New Jersey. We aren't sure if a similar law will be passed in NJ in the future, but our oil supplier made it available (at a higher price mind you) so we went with the flow and tried it. We think it is a lighter oil and produces a lighter french fry. The fact that it is slower to break down and lasts a few days longer than the other oil, allowed us to justify the higher cost. I am joining a webinar on zero trans fats in june and am excited to find out more information about it.

As a side note, AHD is closed tomorrow for the Memorial day holiday.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I think there is a lot of hysteria concerning trans fats.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/oped_detail.cfm/oped/407

Hot dogs are not health food anyway. The consumer and not the government should decide what we eat. We have been consuming trans fats for a long time, and like the article states, life expectancy has gone up, not down. As a consumer, I want to make my own choices and I choose to eat what tastes best. Coca Cola with cane sugar and french fries (and hot dogs) fried in beef tallow. I would urge restaurant owners not to give in to health fanatics. Many of us grew up eating foods fried in lard and beef tallow. Yet there were so few over weight kids because we were out playing baseball all day rather than sitting behind a computer playing video games. Rutt's Hut still fries their dogs in beef tallow. This is why their dogs taste better than other hot dog joints that use the same Thumanns dog for deep frying but fry in vegetable oil. French fries also taste better fried in beef tallow. Many people who remember eating at McDonalds when they used beef tallow will attest to this.

What's next? Outlaw all frying? Maybe the government will try to get us all to switch from beef to tofu dogs.

Another interesting article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,228537,00.html

John the hot dog guy

Trans-fats or not, Amazing Hot Dog was named "Best Bang for the Buck" in the '07 Zagat guide for New Jersey. Congrats, guys!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 3 weeks later...
Eric can we get an update?!!? did you open a second store yet?

We are inching every so close to a 2nd location. We are hoping that this week brings us to the next level of the negotiations. Too early to spill the beans, though.

I'll let you guys know when things are more definate.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

We are inching every so close to a 2nd location. We are hoping that this week brings us to the next level of the negotiations.  Too early to spill the beans, though.

MMMMM You guys have baked beans now? :laugh:

We are inching every so close to a 2nd location. We are hoping that this week brings us to the next level of the negotiations.  Too early to spill the beans, though.

MMMMM You guys have baked beans now? :laugh:

We have had baked beans since day 1, afterall what would a Smokey Joe be with the beaners?

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I had a GREAT lunch at AHD yesterday. Considering I now live in Bloomfield, I am ashamed to say it's only my 2nd trip. I had decided last time that when I went back for lunch, I was having the jersey breakfast. All I can say is WOW! This might have been the single best hot dog I have ever eaten which is saying a lot considering the amount of hot dogs I consumed.

The fries were even crispier and better than last time, so any changes to the oil due to the trans fat thing have done nothing to alter their quality. My buddy ordered a side of cheese and I ordered a side of chili. I love the texture and flavor of their chili. (I think I taste a hint of cinnamon)

I ate about half the fries plain and the other half with a layer of cheese, chili, and ketchup. If someone knows of better fries in the area, please let me know. They truly remind me of the fries I ate while in Belgium.

The fact that they also have birch beer on tap confirms my belief that this might be the best place for a reasonably priced meal in NJ. (Sorry White Manna, your fries can't earn you the top spot)

Keep on doing what you are doing. I think the Reuben wrapped in bacon is next up on my list. It's either that or the cream cheese scallion dog.

-Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We live in northern NJ and went to amazing hot dogs by way of recommendations from this board. We find many good "finds" as a result of egullet through the years. We've tried just about all of the hot dog joints in NJ. We were original addicts of Johnny and Hangies when they were in paterson 20 years ago...since then and moving to Glen Rock they have gone down hill in many people's opinion.

About 2 months ago we tried Harim's in Fort Lee and AHD just 2 weeks ago. There are four of us that venture to try new hot dog joints and we were dissappointed in AHD and still vote Harims as one of our all time favorites. I know it is a personal taste and all. There was no crunch/snap and they weren't hot. We don't particularly like small fries and we thought they were greasy like the onion rings.

Sorry worth the drive to Fort Lee and not emerson.

We'll give it another try down the road, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

LIMABEAN

Sorry worth the drive to Fort Lee and not emerson.

We'll give it another try down the road, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

LIMABEAN

Lima, you should probably clarify your post because Hot Dog Heaven is in Emerson; Amazing Hot Dog is in Verona. Are you confusing the two?

I had the pleasure of finally making it to AHD for lunch earlier this week when making my way back to Philly from Rockland County, NY last weekend. Curlz was kind enough to join me for lunch and Eric was expertly manning the counter. After some chit-chat we got down to business. Here's what we ordered:

gallery_7409_476_91924.jpg

From left to right: Jersey Breakfast, Asian Dog, an Amazing with spicy mustard and hot relish and a Classic with Cheese Whiz, cooked onions and Chili. Small fries in the back.

Every last one of these was good (I'll take Curlz word on the Jersey breakfast since that's the only one I didn't try). The Asian Dog was the big surprise - who would've thunk that peanut butter and sambal would be good on a hot dog? But it's a little like beef satay with some sweetness and spicy all going on at once. The chili is really good too. I loves me a good chili dog and it had been awhile since I'd had one. This one really hit the spot. And the fries are just perfect - thin enough to get crisp on the outside and still have a little potatoey-ness in the center.

Amazing Hot Dog totally lives up to its name. I wish Eric and Matt the best of luck with their next location. I can hardly wait for my next trip up that way for another AHD run!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol