• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

Amazing Hotdogs for Breakfast? :wacko: absolutely. After 2 hours at the mall where I actually found something that fit it seemed only fair that I get a chile/coleslaw dog, french fries, and 2 sodas to celebrate.

There were perfect as usual

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!! I hope your Thanksgiving celebrations were excellent. I wanted to put it out there loud and clear that

AMAZING HOT DOG IS LOOKING FOR A SECOND LOCATION!!! If anyone sees a location that they think would be a home run, or hears of any restaurant that is closing and available, please let us know. We need at least 1500 sq/ft and if the traffic is big, we're not afraid of big rent. We are leaving no stone unturned.

On the Verona homefront, We have been nominated to be in the running for the AOL City Guide Best Hot Dog in North Jersey and are asking that any one who has been to AHD and likes our food to please go hereand vote for us. Only one vote per customer please. (If the page loads slowly, refresh it while it's loading and it will pop up; wierd but it works)

Also, we have begun to sell our Mini Eggroll Dogs frozen in packs of 25 pieces. They are par-fried and ready to bake at home. Many people have ordered them for holiday party platters and the feedback has been extremely positive. They come with Duck sauce or Spicy Brown Mustard and are 13.75 tax included.

And finally, we are beginnng to get a feel for the flow of traffic in the restaurant and continue to tune our hours accordingly. We are now open M-Sat 11am to 8pm and Sunday from Noon to 6PM (may change to 5 PM)

As always, Matt and I are grateful for your support.

Eric

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Also, we have begun to sell our Mini Eggroll Dogs frozen in packs of 25 pieces...They come with Duck sauce or Spicy Brown Mustard and are 13.75 tax included.

Glad to see the duck sauce is now included! :wink:

Fwiw, I've now seen the effects of high school "open lunch" in two places...Montclair and Nutley. I really think you should target one of these towns--between students and families, you'd rake in the $$. Starting around 11am, kids who have lunch or a free period FLOCK (on foot) to the local inexpensive places to grab lunch.

Want to see what I mean? Go to the small strip mall on Valley Road that houses a Krauser's along with a Chinese place and a bagel shop. You literally can't drive in to the parking lot because of the volume of kids--and yes, most of them are eating. It's like an invasion! I know I've mentioned to you that Nutley also has an open lunch policy, and I've seen the hoardes there as well. But know where they go there? For pizza or to the Burger King. Why not give them another option?!?

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Also, we have begun to sell our Mini Eggroll Dogs frozen in packs of 25 pieces...They come with Duck sauce or Spicy Brown Mustard and are 13.75 tax included.

Glad to see the duck sauce is now included! :wink:

Fwiw, I've now seen the effects of high school "open lunch" in two places...Montclair and Nutley. I really think you should target one of these towns--between students and families, you'd rake in the $$. Starting around 11am, kids who have lunch or a free period FLOCK (on foot) to the local inexpensive places to grab lunch.

Want to see what I mean? Go to the small strip mall on Valley Road that houses a Krauser's along with a Chinese place and a bagel shop. You literally can't drive in to the parking lot because of the volume of kids--and yes, most of them are eating. It's like an invasion! I know I've mentioned to you that Nutley also has an open lunch policy, and I've seen the hoardes there as well. But know where they go there? For pizza or to the Burger King. Why not give them another option?!?

Curlz

Nutley would be wonderful (especially since I live there). If you were on Franklin Ave, during the school year you would be packed but it might die in the summer. Montclair might be a better year round location.

Just remember that Montclair is very close to the flagship AHD (like that, Eric?!?)...that might be the only legit reason for them not to open there. But it's not like Nutley is a shore town...there are still plenty of kids and families around in the summer! Drive past the BK, Carvel or Rita's for proof! :-)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Down in MY neck of the woods, the Princeton area, there is an attractive storefront that has just become available in a ShopRite anchored shopping center that supports a busy Chinese takeout and an upscale brick oven pizzeria/trattoria. The shopping center is in Ewing, NJ, on Olden Ave, and it is packed, heavily trafficked, with good synergy from a dry cleaners, wine/beer shop, video rental store, gamers store, and car dealerships across the street and along stretches of Olden Ave. Along these blocks of Olden Ave are also gas stations, a McDonald's, Taco Bell and Wendy's, and numerous banks and other retail. A vibrant retail confluence. And not a hot dog to be found.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Down in MY neck of the woods, the Princeton area, there is an attractive storefront that has just become available in a ShopRite anchored shopping center that supports a busy Chinese takeout and an upscale brick oven pizzeria/trattoria.  The shopping center is in Ewing, NJ, on Olden Ave, and it is packed, heavily trafficked, with good synergy from a dry cleaners, wine/beer shop, video rental store, gamers store, and car dealerships across the street and along stretches of Olden Ave.  Along these blocks of Olden Ave are also gas stations, a McDonald's, Taco Bell and Wendy's, and numerous banks and other retail. A vibrant retail confluence.  And not a hot dog to be found.

Thanks Rich, I'll check it out. My brother lives in the area so I'm a little familiar with it.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Down in MY neck of the woods, the Princeton area, there is an attractive storefront that has just become available in a ShopRite anchored shopping center that supports a busy Chinese takeout and an upscale brick oven pizzeria/trattoria.  The shopping center is in Ewing, NJ, on Olden Ave, and it is packed, heavily trafficked, with good synergy from a dry cleaners, wine/beer shop, video rental store, gamers store, and car dealerships across the street and along stretches of Olden Ave.  Along these blocks of Olden Ave are also gas stations, a McDonald's, Taco Bell and Wendy's, and numerous banks and other retail. A vibrant retail confluence.  And not a hot dog to be found.

Rich, having grown up in Ewing (off Parkway Ave) I would love to see AHD locate their 2nd shop there. You can be sure the rents would be far less than North Jersey's. Do you remember Murphy's Chuckwagon??

As someone who grew up a mile away, on Hillcrest Avenue, although I have lived in Bucks County for over thirty-eight years, I second or third Rich's suggestion. I am there frequently and it is a busy shopping center.

I also remember Murphy's Chuckwagon. Leo Vegotsky was the owner. Had lunch there many times, mostly courtesy of my employer, but that was more than thirty years ago.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

There are also 2 empty storefronts right on Nassau Street in downtown Princeton on the block just north of Palmer Square. Directly across the street from the University. Lots of foot traffic 12 months of the year from students, tourists and office workers. Parking can be difficult around there though, only meters and 2 large parking garages.

There are also 2 empty storefronts right on Nassau Street in downtown Princeton on the block just north of Palmer Square.  Directly across the street from the University.  Lots of foot traffic 12 months of the year from students, tourists and office workers.  Parking can be difficult around there though, only meters and 2 large parking garages.

I have my doubts with Princeton as a gourmet hot dog town. There is a lot of foot traffic indeed, but it seems these folks are a bit too highbrow to support such a venture.

I could be wrong as there is the venerable Conte's on Witherspoon Street that is always jammed with students, faculty and locals eating pretty decent tomato pies.

That and the Annex, wait, maybe Princeton will work after all :smile:

What about Morristown?

There's a lot of new business venture possibilites, with the condo/apartment building in the former Epsteins location. Headquarter's Plaza. Pine Street.

I may be biased because I live there and all...but it is a good market for a place like Amazin Hotdog. I've raved to all my friends but have yet to get them out to Verona.

Any thought to Hoboken? Plenty of foot traffic, lots of food places, but nothing similar to a Hot Dog shop. There's been a fair amount of turnover lately -- there are definitely some storefronts available on Washington. Probably the three closest things to AHD in town would be Johnny Rockets -- has done huge business since opening 5 or so years ago, a Cheese Steak shop -- which has changed overships once, but is now in business for a couple years (although I don't see many people in there -- actually am surprised they're still around), and a brand new BBQ take out place that has generated a lot of buzz.

Think you could do well here... I'm sure the rents are significantly higher than some of the other places you are considering, but the foot traffic is obviously significant.

A couple of empty storefronts in my town of Rutherford, on the commercial strip of Union Ave. centered around the ShopRite.

Plusses:

established food area (2 Chinese places, artisan bagel shop, couple of pizza joints, sushi parlor)

lots of foot traffic from the middle school in the next block

no immediate competion (not a single hotdog place in town)

Minuses:

difficult parking situation for drive-by biz

Rutherford generally a meat-&-potatoes town, uncertain how a "gourmet" dog would do here.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

A couple of empty storefronts in my town of Rutherford, on the commercial strip of Union Ave. centered around the ShopRite.

Plusses:

established food area (2 Chinese places, artisan bagel shop, couple of pizza joints, sushi parlor)

lots of foot traffic from the middle school in the next block

no immediate competion (not a single hotdog  place in town)

Minuses:

difficult parking situation for drive-by biz

Rutherford generally a meat-&-potatoes town, uncertain how a "gourmet" dog would do here.

I would think it would do better on Park Ave. Much more walk in traffic, there.

Hello everybody!!  I hope your Thanksgiving celebrations were excellent.  I wanted to put it out there loud and clear that

AMAZING HOT DOG IS LOOKING FOR A SECOND LOCATION!!!  If anyone sees a location that they think would be a home run, or hears of any restaurant that is closing and available, please let us know.  We need at least 1500 sq/ft and if the traffic is big, we're not afraid of big rent.  We are leaving no stone unturned.

Is 9000 sq feet too much space? <g>

There is also a rental space right under the train station in South orange... between Bunny's and the trestle.

Also, since Heart and Soul Catering closed up on Academy St a few months back... not sure if anything moved into his space. I think the number was 62 Academy... in same strip mall as Haru and a Domino's Pizza.

Edited by SueWho321 (log)

From the Frank & Fries thread...

And just like that, Frank & Fries is no more. I spoke with the owner today and was told that the place was sold yesterday. It will soon be a Mexican restaurant.

So I wonder...does this mean that Rahway is in need of another hot dog place?!? Eric, methinks you might want to chat with John as well as the folks at David Drakes and anyone else who knows about the town... :wink:

Any thought to Hoboken? 

We have someone looking for places in Hoboken. I understand though, a few hot dog places have tried and failed in Hoboken, but I'm sure they weren't doing what we are doing.

Eric

Hmmm... I've been here 13 years and don't remember any Hot Dog places. If they were here, they were very short lived and certainly not at the AHD level. I'd be happy to talk with you on Hoboken if you get serious about considering it as a location.

One of things you'll definately need to consider is delivery -- Hoboken is a big delivery town. With the high rents here, you may need the additional volume generated by delivery to succeed. And with the freshness of your product being so key, will need to work out if this is something you want to handle in-house or through a 3rd party.

Any thought to Hoboken? 

We have someone looking for places in Hoboken. I understand though, a few hot dog places have tried and failed in Hoboken, but I'm sure they weren't doing what we are doing.

Eric

hoboken is a different kind of town. firstly, a good portion of your target audience isn't in town for 10 hours a day because they're likely in NYC working (there aren't many children in hoboken). there's not much hope of a school lunch type of crowd. so, you'd want to stay open really late. serving beer wouldn't hurt, either.

setting up shop next to the horrible bars downtown, opening at 8 pm and closing at 3 am would probably produce mad bank. but you'd really be pimpin' the dog at that point.

Edited by tommy (log)

hoboken is a different kind of town.  firstly, a good portion of your target audience isn't in town for 10 hours a day because they're likely in NYC working (there aren't many children in hoboken).  there's not much hope of a school lunch type of crowd.  so, you'd want to stay open really late.  serving beer wouldn't hurt, either. 

setting up shop next to the horrible bars downtown, opening at 8 pm and closing at 3 am would probably produce mad bank.  but you'd really be pimpin' the dog at that point.

With Wiley (publishing co.) now established in town and a couple of the bigger office buildings near the PATH, you'd actually get much more of a lunch weekday crowd than in Hoboken's past. Definately, the late night crowd (esp. Thursday - Saturday) would probably warrant the late night hours. Again, lower part of Washington street or near PATH would be preferable. Regardless, it would certainly be a different business model than the Verona store, but if the combination of location, product and service is right, you'll do extremely well. On the other hand, with the exorbitant rents on Washington street, may businesses (usually due to poor decision making) quickly fail.

setting up shop next to the horrible bars downtown, opening at 8 pm and closing at 3 am would probably produce mad bank.  but you'd really be pimpin' the dog at that point.

Perhaps the Hoboken outpost of AHD should be called Pimpin' the Dog?!? :laugh:

Perhaps the Hoboken outpost of AHD should be called Pimpin' the Dog?!? :laugh:

put a sparkly purple cape and tophat on the superhero cartoon. invent a new item and call it the Snoop Doggy Dog.

let the groaning commence.