• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

Did anyone from egullet register?!  I'm curious.  I was thinking of trying out but then we sold our home so now we're heading down to the dc/va area to househunt!  Goodluck and let us all know the results of your contest.  :cool:

We have had a couple of phone calls about the contest but no one has actually come in to sign up. We knew it was a long shot because we thought of it too late. We are working on a monthly eating contest beginning in September where the winner would then get a seat at the 4th of July contest for the Grand Prize. It would be very laid back and informal trials leading up to the main event in July.

Stay tuned for more info. Also, we have begun discussions about catering. Way to early to give details, but just know we are working on it.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

If I'm the only one who signs up would I still win the TV?

The contest was dependent on 10 participants. We currently have zero participants officially signed up. The contest has been postponed untill next July. See above post describing the selection process for next year's contest.

I suppose I'll use this opprtunity to mention that If you are hosting or attending a BBQ this weekend, we sell our CLASSICS in the 5 pound package that we get them in; nicely cryovaced, fresh from the plant. A free 8 pack of Martin's Potato rolls comes with each pack of hot dogs. There are 20 dogs in a pack for $25.00

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

First trip to AHD today. We were taking a trip from Freehold up to the Wine Library and made a detour. It was as good as everyone has said. Eric wasn't there but Matt was.

My wife and I split a schmeero, I had a Hawaii 5-0 and she had a Phoenix which was too hot for me. Loved the schmeero the best, the 5-0 was great also. We split a small fries (not small at all) and the taste was great but would have preferred they were crisper ( most were kind of limp). The chipolte mayo was fantastic with them. Looking forward to trying the nacho and reuben next time we are up that way.

Was a great meal and i wish you guys a lot of luck. Still think it would be a huge hit in downtown Princeton on Nassau St by the uninversity.

I second the idea of a Princeton location. It would be a natural even with all the competion. It as busy a street as any small town can handle.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Summer Saturdays....aaaahhh

Caped Crusader with FF for breakfast and half a Hawaii Five O for lunch.

Not a bad way to start a day, of course I shared the Hawaii with my hubby who started his day off with the hotburger hamdog filled with the classic chile and cheese combo.

mmmm hotdogs not just for breakfast

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Just a quick note to say.....

I :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: the Amazing Hot Dog.

Chris & I paid our boys in Verona a visit last week, and once again were satisfied beyond belief for a grand total of $14.75 (plus tip of course!) between the 2 of us. In complete contrast to our dinner in the city the night before, where we ordered a lobster roll and fish & chips @ BLT Fish Shack- for a grand total of $85 including drinks & tip.. tasty food, but just not satisfying for the price (the lobster roll being exceptionally overpriced for the amount of lobster salad).

High fives to Matt & Eric for always having such a positive attitude whenever we stop by for a doggie.

Hello all ,

We will be visiting Amazing Hot Dogs on the 3rd Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour scheduled for Sat. Sept 16th .

We will be visiting 10 different establishments .

Bus will depart Galloping Hill Inn in Kenilworth at 11 am

For anyone north of the city , the bus originates from Orange County NY and we will have a pickup in Monroe NY area ,

Cost is $20 per person and will include refreshments on the bus and stop to stop commentary from the Hot Dog Afficionado himself Mr. John Fox .

We may also have WTBQ 111o am Radio personality Uncle Buck with us doing a live remote and print media have been invited also .

Feel free to email me for more info

benzee95@hotmail.com

Benzee

Did you know...

There is now a Corn Dog at AHD? Creamed corn and crunched up corn flakes on top!

There is now a Pizza Dog?

Turkey burgers?

Grilled chicken sandwiches?

Of course, those last two are not for purists... :laugh:

Great to see the place hopping, and of course, I loved my Melt! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

And you wouldnt believe the "tone of typing" I got for suggesting a Kimchee dog. ( Must be that Korean food thread on the NY board)

Corn flakes indeed, pizza dog, ........OK I am game :wink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Hello all ,

We will be visiting Amazing Hot Dogs on the 3rd Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour scheduled for Sat. Sept 16th .

We will be visiting 10 different establishments .

Bus will depart Galloping Hill Inn in Kenilworth at 11 am

For anyone north of the city , the bus originates from Orange County NY and we will have a pickup in Monroe NY area ,

Cost is $20 per person and will include refreshments on the bus and stop to stop commentary from the Hot Dog Afficionado himself Mr. John Fox .

We may also have WTBQ 111o am Radio personality Uncle Buck with us doing a live remote and  print media have been invited also .

Feel free to email me for more info

benzee95@hotmail.com

Benzee

Not to nitpick but isn't the Galloping Hill Inn in Union? Ok, I love to nitpick. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

NEWS ALERT!!! AHD was chosen by The Munchmobile as the Best Deep-Fried Hot Dog in New Jersey! Congratulations to Matt and Eric!

The article is in today's Star Ledger or you can see it here.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

So Eric you guys come up for air yet????

Maxine

My Webpage

So Eric you guys come up for air yet????

Just barely, But it isn't stopping; today Matt and I delve into uncharted territory as we are catering a tailgate party for a major financial firm at Giants stadium. It's ALL good, though because this will gear us up for working on Sundays in case y'all haven't heard that AHD, beginning next Sunday, will be open from Noon to 7PM Sundays. As always, I'd like to thank the Egullet community for your continued support, ideas and suggestions.

Eric Eisenbud

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

NEWS ALERT!!!  AHD was chosen by The Munchmobile as the Best Deep-Fried Hot Dog in New Jersey!  Congratulations to Matt and Eric! 

The article is in today's Star Ledger or you can see it here.

Here's what I don't get: AHD wins for best deep fried dog but not for most creative toppings? I don't care whose "salty balls" we're talking about here, how could you not give the nod to a place that puts tuna on one dog and creamed corn and corn flakes on another.

BTW, that Phoenix dog is really good. It will go down as Rachel Perlow's greatest contribution to NJ cuisine, the jello mold not withstanding.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

In my opinion Amazing Hot Dog could have won or placed in the top 3 for best deep fried dog, most creative toppings, best fries, best chili, and most unique place. However, we were prevented from having one establishment place in more than one category. I don't agree with that, but that's how it was. I was a member of the team and voted for AHD as best deep fried dog. In my opinion, it's better to come in first in one of the 5 major categories if you're just limited to one. I also voted for AHD for best fries and most creative toppings. I would have also had AHD in the top 3 for Unique place and chili as well.

John the hot dog guy

In my opinion Amazing Hot Dog could have won or placed in the top 3 for best deep fried dog, most creative toppings, best fries, best chili, and most unique place. However, we were prevented from having one establishment place in more than one category. I don't agree with that, but that's how it was. I was a member of the team and voted for AHD as best deep fried dog. In my opinion, it's better to come in first in one of the 5 major categories if you're just limited to one. I also voted for AHD for best fries and most creative toppings. I would have also had AHD in the top 3 for Unique place and chili as well.

John, can you explain why Tommy's in Elizabeth won for best Italian dog and also for best potatoes? This doesn't hold with what you've written above. No knock on Tommy's, I'm an Elizabeth guy and grew up eating those potatoes.

I also voted for AHD for best fries and most creative toppings. I would have also had AHD in the top 3 for Unique place and chili as well.

Thanks for the explanation, John...I completely agree on all counts, but esp the chili! I loooooooooove that chili. :wub:

John, can you explain why Tommy's in Elizabeth won for best Italian dog and also for best potatoes? This doesn't hold with what you've written above. No knock on Tommy's, I'm an Elizabeth guy and grew up eating those potatoes.

When we were discussing best potatoes (not fries) it was agreed that Tommy's was the best. I mentioned that although I voted for Tommy's, they had already won for best Italian Hot Dog. Pete decided that since Tommy's potatoes were so much better than anyone else's and that the vote was unanimous, an exception would be made. There was at least one or 2 other places that were voted top 3 (though not unanimous) in 2 categories. Being voted top 3 in one of the 5 major categories took precedence to being voted best of in the miscellaneous or "coneys" category.

John the hot dog guy

• 3 weeks later...

Update: On Saturday, September 30, 2006 from 1 to 3pm Amazing Hot Dog will be doing a cooking demonstration at Bloomingdale's in the Willowbrook Mall, Wayne NJ.

Eric will be there sampling goodies.

If you are in the area stop on by to say hello.