• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

Moms (heart) hot dogs! So read signs all over AHD yesterday...luckily, we had our VEGETARIAN mom in tow! We told her she could choose where to grab lunch since it's Mother's Day weekend, and my bro, niece and I were quite pleased when she chose AHD. Of course, she also had the fun of ordering the veggie burger, :laugh: and after one bite, declared it to be EXCELLENT.

It was my brother's first trip, and he went with the Caped Crusader which he thought was fantastic. I had a hotburger hamdog w/chili and cheese whiz (and had to explain to about 6 people around me at the register what it was--Eric, where's that commission check?!? :raz: ), and my niece had the kid's meal and was thrilled to take home the cool cup. ALL GOOD.

I have to say that I think it's great that AHD is attracting such a wide age range of customers! We were amused to hear more than one group of folks who were definitely in the 60+ crowd declare "Well, I'm really going to hell with myself, but it's worth it!" Of course, then there are also people in there with kids in tow, as well as high school kids in and out. Just great to see you all running at full speed again, guys! (And PS, full speed enough that there were NO parking spots--front or back--when we arrived. As we came back to the front, I snagged one, but I was quite pleased to see that there was a wait to park.)

Eric, sorry to have missed you!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I went this weekend with the mister, finally! I'd tried at least twice before--once we got there 15 minutes after closing, and once on Sunday.

Man was it worth the wait! I had a schmerio and a limeade, the mister had a melt and a plain (I helped on the plain), and we split the fries. Love the dogs--crispy and juicy and the cream cheese was a more than perfect combo. And oh my god the fries--the crispy salty fried goodness.

I really think I am going to have a problem, living less than five minutes from y'all.

A trip to West Paterson this morning ended with our first trip to AHD for a great lunch. Two of us polished off a small order of fries, two limeades, and three hot dogs! The Schmiero, the Jersey Breakfast and the Melt (wit wiz). It was pretty hard to decide what to have since everything looked and sounded so good. Since we had never been to Verona before, I guess it's what you would call destination dining. :biggrin: It was all great and we look forward to a return trip with friends who will absolutely love this place. One thing I really liked about the place was how clean it was. With the number of families with small children eating there I was amazed at how spotless the floor and tables were. Keep up the good work!

KathyM

Hey folks,

Just a quick FYI post... We have been re-opened for about a month now and are happy to report that we have seen alot of old friends and TONS of new faces in the restaurant. I think that since we chose to open without fanfare, and little to no advertizing, the build up to the current volume was slower than we would have liked, but it has leveled off over the past few days to very close to where it was before the fire. Thanks once again for dining with us.

We are doing a LIVE, in studio demo on Channel 4, WNBC's TODAY in NY program on Sunday morning at 8:40 AM. We are very excited and a little bit nervous about our 1st live TV gig, but we are well prepared to be who we are and do what we do. It's ALL good!!

Also, we will be open on Monday (Memorial Day). We are not sure if we will be busy or not, but we will know by 3PM. If we are slow, we may close early.

Our Summer hours begin on Monday (Tuesday if we close early on Monday) We will be open an extra hour untill 9PM through Labor Day.

And finally, We have a summer special through Labor Day.

Be a Superhero at your next BBQ

Get a FREE package of Martin's Potato Rolls with the purchase of a 5 pound Pkg of our Classic Hot Dogs (20 hot dogs per pack) for $25.00. Additional 8 packs of rolls are available for $2.50.

Have a great Memorial day everybody, and enjoy the fabulous weather.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Hey folks,

Just a quick FYI post...  We have been re-opened for about a month now and are happy to report that we have seen alot of old friends and TONS of new faces in the restaurant.  I think that since we chose to open without fanfare, and little to no advertizing, the build up to the current volume was slower than we would have liked, but it has leveled off over the past few days to very close to where it was before the fire.

i can say for sure by looking at my blog's stats that people are googling and yahooing all variations of "amazing hot dog verona" every day multiple times a day. that can't be a bad thing at all.

i've tivoing the today show this morning, as i'm sure you or someone you know is as well.

on a different note, a good friend of mine finally got over there the other day and left me a message proclaiming it "amazing" and noted the fries as "effing good." "big", i believe, was a descriptor that was also thrown out.

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, update the Tivo...

LIVE, in studio demo on Channel 4, WNBC's TODAY in NY program on Sunday morning at 8:40 AM

CONGRATS, ERIC! Great stuff. :cool:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Tommy, update the Tivo...

LIVE, in studio demo on Channel 4, WNBC's TODAY in NY program on Sunday morning at 8:40 AM 

CONGRATS, ERIC!  Great stuff.  :cool:

i was wondering why i was watching some guy with watermelons and not hot dogs. although, they weren't that much bigger than the AHD.

5 min people.....

:biggrin:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Well, it was closer to 8:50, but that was great, guys! Congratulations again!

On the NBC site some AHD recipes...YUM! One day I too shall make it to AHD. :biggrin:

http://www.wnbc.com/community/9285272/detail.html

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Doh! I wasn't online all weekend so I just saw this now. Congrats on the NBC promo guys, can't wait to see you again soon. I know Chris brought some co-workers there last week who loved their doggies.

P.S. Chris also snuck in a take-out order recently for us when we returned from Mexico- I went for an amazing with cheez whiz/raw onions/ketchup. Even takeout Amazing Hot Dogs are delicious!

Well my husband and I decided today was a good day to visit AHD.

He liked the "design" of the hotburger hamdog and the toppings on the items he ordered, wish we had a fork it got a tiny bit messy.

I liked my hotdog with sauteed onions, cheese and bacon my 2nd dog was overwelmed by the hot dog, it was a NJ Breakfast dog - tasty IMHO. We got 2 different dogs each and shared an order of french fries. We both also got the limeade, never having it before it was something I wanted to try... I don't think I like limes as much as lemons but it was cool and refreshing.

I suppose I'm a bit jaded because I prefer Sabrett's hot dogs over Best brand and ALSO a "mistake" I ate this week, it was Oscar Meyer Beef Franks... ugh... way too watery/bland!

I think that with a hotdog that is more spicy/peppery or perhaps offering kielbasi and sausage as a choice as well might work too? I know it's amazing hot dog but maybe, just maybe... you may want to offer other stuff. Just a thought. I'm happy we FINALLY made it to AHD before we moved from NJ!

Anyone want to buy a home appx 45 minutes N/E of AHD to be near it? Email me! LOL :wub::raz:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Well my husband and I decided today was a good day to visit AHD. 

He liked the "design" of the hotburger hamdog and the toppings on the items he ordered, wish we had a fork it got a tiny bit messy.

Just got a bite at AHD and decided to try the hotburger hamdog. I agree that it got a little messy. The problem is that the hotdog kind of breaks apart when you eat it, and the circle just doesn't quite stay intact, leaving a few separated segments of hotdog in the bun. Once the chain is broken, it becomes a little difficult to keep the contents inside. Great concept, just requires a little more care.

Since it pretty much tastes the same as a straight up dog (without the bacon wrap) I think I'll go back to some variety of the Amazing on my next visit.

edit: oddly enough, they had Iron Chef on one of the TVs, and they were having of all things--a HAMBURGER BATTLE!

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Just went to Amazing Hot Dog for the first time for lunch today. Had the Amazin Dog and loved it-- and the french fries were incredible! I will definitely be going back-- it was the perfect lunch for a sunny Friday!

Chris & I found another reason that AHD rocks- the gourmet desserts next door are delicious! Eric... definitely partner up with those gals if you can, that brownie/fudge bar you hooked us up with yesterday was delicious :biggrin:

I went for a Melt this time around (with an Amazing instead of a Classic)- I'm definitely a bigger fan of the sauteed onions over the raw onions. They have less of the "pickled" flavor if that makes any sense. I am seriously blessed to have this place a mile from my house!

I went there again for lunch (to go) today. I work in West Orange (in a restaurant) and am introducing coworkers to the sheer pleasure that is Amazing Hotdog on a beautiful day.

I can't express how impressed I am by the fries. And the Amazing is almost too much for me to eat with the fries-- the small is ridiculously generous!

Hey Eric and Matt.

I hear some of my students are starting to float in.. I hope you dont mind I raved about your place in the middle of Science class... They are truly Amazing and worthy of dissecting in class to find out the secret ingredients!

So if you hear that my teacher told me to come.. I am the infamous Mrs. Wolfson. Since you just know me as Tracey!

:wub:

Huggs

Will see you soon

no... i haven't gotten anywhere AHD (i don't do cities well) but the lead article in this week's NJBIZ paper was titled "Rising from the Ashes" and talked about how smart the guys were in having a recovery strategy in place as well as the dogs.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

CITY? You think Verona is a CITY, Suzi? All that fresh air and sunshine out west really has produced a country gal, huh? :laugh:

Hey guys, I hope everone is easing into SUMMER mode and is able to slow down a bit and enjoy the great weather. I just wanted to let you know of a few happenings at AHD.

First, beginning tonight and every Monday night untill further notice, It's KIDS NIGHT at AHD. The very talented balloon sculpters from The MadHatters will be on hand to bring their whimsical balloon characters to each kid. We are offering a free Small Fry(for the grownups) with the purchase of a kids meal.

And secondly, We are trying to pull this together and need to get at least 10 people to make it happen:

Ready to amaze spectators and aficionados alike? Think you have the fortitude to devour the most quarter-pound "Classic" Best's of Newark all-beef dogs on Martin's potato buns? Are you brave enough to take up the challenge??

Then come & be part of Amazing Hot Dog's First-Ever July 4th Hot Dog Eating Contest! Here are the details:

-The contest will be held simultaneous to the Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest, and the televised Nathan's clock will be the official timekeeper.

-Whoever consumes the most AHD Classic dogs in a 12-minute interval will win the Grand Prize -- a 17-inch LCD TV

-Each contestant will receive a free Amazing Hot Dog T-shirt

-Customers who arrive to cheer on the contestants will receive free sodas with their orders

WHEN: Tuesday, July 4, 12.00 PM sharp [registered contestants must arrive by 11.00 AM]

WHERE: Amazing Hot Dog, 148A Bloomfield Ave., Verona, NJ

HOW TO PARTICIPATE: Intrepid eaters must register in person at Amazing Hot Dog no later than Wednesday, June 28. For more information, contact Amazing Hot Dog at 973.433.3073 or go to www.amazinghotdog.com

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Hi Eric... sounds like fun! Question - you said Whoever consumes the most AHD Classic dogs <---- remind me again what is on these hot dogs?! I just might be game! :biggrin: and will we have something to help wash them down with like pepsi or coke or water?!

Hi Eric... sounds like fun!  Question - you said Whoever consumes the most AHD Classic dogs <---- remind me again what is on these hot dogs?! I just might be game!  :biggrin: and will we have something to help wash them down with like pepsi or coke or water?!

We're talking plain classics no toppings or mustard if you want, and yes with beverages.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone from egullet register?! I'm curious. I was thinking of trying out but then we sold our home so now we're heading down to the dc/va area to househunt! Goodluck and let us all know the results of your contest. :cool: