• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

Went today with my two kids, 5 year old Sophia and 2 year old Daniel. The dogs were good enough to occupy my kids for almost the entire time we spent in the restaurant. Matt did a great job of getting our food out fast, a key with kids. I had the hot dog with chili, jalepenos and cole slaw. The slaw didn't work all that well for me, too creamy against the sharp flavors of the hot dog, chili and peppers. Next time I'll just order a classic with the chili and jalepenos. Also had a dog with mustard and kraut, my standard. This was at 3 PM, haven't eaten again.

Thanks guys, its not every restaurant that can please my kids. Oh, and I took the key chain of the previous poster who didn't get one along with one of my own. My kids played with them all the way back to Warren.

Just as a side note: Eric, what role do you think you're posts on egullet played in getting you all the publicity? Certainly you got Jason's attention but I'm wondering about the people from Channel 7 and the Star Ledger. Do they check in here to get ideas?

I'm sure at least the TV news spot was engineered by Diaz Schloss, their PR firm, which did a fabulous job. Although I know that Jason's inspiration was eGullet, we did get some snail mail from them inviting us to their opening. But, I didn't open that particular piece of mail until after we had already visited the place, so we didn't get to that party. I'm sure it was sent with plenty of time, but PR mail sent to us tends to go in a large pile that I only open every few weeks/months. :rolleyes:

Chris & I *finally* made it to the Amazing Hot dog tonight. We're pathetic slackers- we live about 5 minutes down the road in Montclair, and I've been drooling over the pics posted here, yet tonight was our first visit.

Oh well, good things really DO come to those who wait :biggrin::biggrin:

I ordered the My Schmiero after reading so many good things here, and Chris was sold into the Hawaii 5-0 by the gentleman behind the counter (I think his name was Vic? He is 1-2 of the pictures I've seen), as well as a small order of fries with a side of chipoltle mayo.

While Chris wasn't *as* blown away by the combo of flavors on the Hawaii 5-0, he absolutely loved the snap & the taste of the dog itself. We were both impressed that the bacon didn't take over the flavor of the dog. I knew I was going to love the My Schmiero after seeing pictures and hearing so many good reviews, and I scarfed this down in seconds flat. I was so full, yet I wanted another so bad. This was SOOOO good; I can't wait to have another!

The fries themselves were very tasty- we are FREAKS when it comes to fries... indulging quite often at Pommes Frites and some of the other belgian frites shops in the city, so I was pleasantly surprised to see Chipoltle mayo as a side dipper (rather than just cheez whiz or ketchup). And it was tasty too! It had quite a smoky flavor and was relatively spicy. I found the fries just slightly too greasy, but they were piping hot so I'll chalk that up to not shaking them enough after cooking. No big deal, they were still very tasty- skin on is always good.

Last but not least, Matt introduced himself, and of course I mentioned seeing rave reviews all over eGullet. All in all, a huge thumbs up to our new neighbor. We'll be back!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Eric

Amazing Hot Dog is penned in for a Garden State Motorcycle dinner ride for July 22....be warned :cool:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 month later...

All is right in the universe. Dinner tonight: an Amazing and a small order of fries with that yummy chipotle mayo! :wub:

CONGRATULATIONS to Eric and Matt!! A slow but steady crowd while I was there is a very good start--just wait until the word really gets out! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was just thinking the same thing, let's put the fire in the past.........

The Homework Gods conspired against me last night. Apparently the 40 min drive each way does not allow enough time for home work!

So we are planning on Saturday............I hope I can wait. I have been dreaming of Amazings!

So glad you guys are up and running again.

Dana

well they're up and running for sure.

lots of new pics on the walls of extreme close-ups of the dogs. a nice touch. kinda gets you all excited.

the tip dog jar thingie survived the fire. it manages to suck a buck out of me every time i'm in front of it. a brilliant move, having a tip jar that makes you smile.

one good thing about going to AHD on thursday night is that the Verona Inn across the street has dollar (as in, 1 dollar) domestic bottles from 8-10. it's criminal. even more criminal is the parade of extremely attractive college-aged women who waltz in right around 10 pm, as old guys like me are heading out for bed. a crime i tell you.

congrats guys. i'm looking forward to the second (and third and fourth and fifth) locations. just make sure they're near colleges and dive bars. thanks.

well they're up and running for sure.

lots of new pics on the walls of extreme close-ups of the dogs.  a nice touch.  kinda gets you all excited. 

the tip dog jar thingie survived the fire.  it manages to suck a buck out of me every time i'm in front of it.  a brilliant move, having a tip jar that makes you smile.

one good thing about going to AHD on thursday night is that the Verona Inn across the street has dollar (as in, 1 dollar) domestic bottles from 8-10.  it's criminal.  even more criminal is the parade of extremely attractive college-aged women who waltz in right around 10 pm, as old guys like me are heading out for bed.  a crime i tell you.

congrats guys.  i'm looking forward to the second (and third and fourth and fifth) locations.  just make sure they're near colleges and dive bars.  thanks.

Ahhh the VI. I spent many a drunken night at that establishment back in the day--which wasn't quite so long ago.

Would have been nice to have AHD across the street back then.

I stopped into AHD on Tuesday. I noticed the new photos, but was happy to see that not too much had changed, and there were some vast improvements. The powered ketchup dispenser is fantastic!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

It's ketchup dispenser that has a nozzle like a water cooler, and it is CO2 powered and disponses just the right amount into the little paper cups. This is as opposed to the pump which could spatter or pump too much ketchup. We stopped by today for a Pheonix and a Melt with onions and swiss cheese. Fries as good as ever.

i read "powdered ketchup" about 10 times. now i see: powered.

the fries are pretty good. they can get soggy, though. if you order a large, bring 5 people to help you eat them. but they are full of potato flavor. this i know for sure.

I read a really nice article about Amazing HD in the Verona/Cedar Grove times today. I don't think it's available on-line.

I hope to stop in while I am in town this weekend!

-Scott

i read "powdered ketchup" about 10 times.

Just add water! It's great stuff! :raz:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Went on Saturday.. Had an amazing with some great fixin's......

Fries.. well a small enough for two!

Great, friendly staff. Can't wait to return and try some different dogs..

This place is a must GO..

My only recommendation is... How about doing onion rings????? any thoughs on that guys?

Cheers and will see you soon

Tracey

Went on Saturday.. Had an amazing with some great fixin's......

Fries.. well a small enough for two!

Great, friendly staff. Can't wait to return and try some different dogs..

This place is a must GO..

My only recommendation is... How about doing onion rings????? any thoughs on that guys?

Cheers and will see you soon

Tracey

Tracey,

Thanks for being part of our comeback week!! We eased into it s-l-o-w-l-y and ended the week with a B-a-n-g!! on Saturday. It's like we never even skipped a beat. We find ourselves really scratching our heads about that infamous Saturday after the channel 7 news piece. We have handled equal and more volume since with wait times of 5 minutes or less. I guess we need to chalk it up to our inexperience at the time. as far as onion rings go, I say, it's not likely in THIS location because of the lack of a REAL prep area. We are using all available space and pre opening time to do the fries. The last thing we are going to do is throw frozen onion rings at you guys(unless of course we make them and freeze them ourselves!!). If I sell you an onion ring, it's going to be hand cut, soaked in milk(for sweetness), lightly battered, etc.... I happen to LOVE O-rings myself, but it's logistically impossible in the Verona store. Thanks again for stopping in!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Eric,

Thanks for your responce. I understand the lack of prep area for the O-rings.. But I may take you up on private meal so I may try your sweet battered rings.. YUM :wub:

I will see you soon

Cheers, Tracey

Ok - I finally made it to Amazing Hot Dog. Took my wife there for lunch today - after some serious perusing of the menu, and some suggestions from Eric, we both got an 'Amazing' (bacon wrapped dog) with a generous scoop of chili on top.

Great stuff - the dogs were delicious, and the fries were awesome (love double cooked fries!) I will definitely be going back - the menu has sparked my tastebuds' curiousity - I think I'll shoot for a My Schmeiro next time!

Jason

We made it over to AHD yesterday! I missed those burgers and fries. My co-worker had an Amazing w/fried onions. I will get a hotdog next time since I've been there three times since the original opening and haven't yet tried one!

I swiped a stack of menus from the table and brought them back to the office & put them in the kitchen area, since several people were curious about AHD when I told my co-worker you were back up and running.

Cheers!

I don't live nearby, but work brought me within striking distance (15 miles), so I made my first visit today. The dogs were great. Started off with an Amazin with kraut and spicy mustard, then progressed to a Caped Crusader ... delicious. An order of fries and birch beer and I was set. Wish I was closer.

I've been meaning to post since last week, but have been busy prepping for a vacation in Mexico.

Chris & I visited AHD last Tuesday and shared 3 doggies- My Schmiero, the Caped Crusader and the newbie.. the Phoenix (which, if I remember correctly was an Amazing with spicy relish, spicy brown mustard & the "sweet heat" chipoltle sambal) and it was so great to chow on these doggies again! Eric gave us a slight bit of shit for not ordering fries, but we seriously were just all about the dogs- this time.

Chris hates cream cheese, but he was a good sport & tried the My Schmiero since I love it so much. He still wasn't sold on it, but he also doesn't like raw onions (yellow, white or green hehe) so he picked off the scallions. Those are the best part IMO! I tried the Caped Crusader for the first time, and was very happy with the combo of flavors. Definitely will be a favorite moving forward! As for the Phoenix.. I enjoyed the sambal sauce, but the other combo of flavors- although I loved the spice- just didn't quite do it for me.

Next time, I'm going Reuben... the boys have pics on the wall of some of the doggies, and the Reuben looks so delicious!

Great to have you back guys- when we get back from Mexico next week, AHD is the first place we're stopping for chow :biggrin:

Eric gave us a slight bit of shit for not ordering fries, but we seriously were just all about the dogs- this time.

Yes, but we only give a bit of shit in the most gentle and kind way!!, LOL

:biggrin:

Nice to see you guys again.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

My daughter and "the boy" stopped in for dinner tonight....very happy campers after a nacho dog and a smokey joe.

They like the new art work :smile:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association