• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

I've just read the Star-Ledger piece on AHD, and have just seen the WABC-Ch. 7 story by Laura Glassberg. Great synergy. And having the 4 anchor desk people sampling hot dogs after the piece was sheer genius. Speaking as a food a beverage PR pro for the last 20 years, I have to say that you couldn't have done better and gotten a better 1-2 punch than a newpaper piece backed up by a TV feature.

God help you tomorrow. I hope you're prepared for a huge wave of Saturday business.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Great job, nice piece on the news!

Please allow me to add that I've had apple-stuffed sausage and I bet if you tried it you could really mix the two "american" favorites! Maybe a dog with an apple relish or some experimentation like apple mustard or something! If you ever want a taste tester, again I volunteer to drive down if you need a strange woman with strange tastes! :cool:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Fantastic piece on ABC. I wish you a lot of luck. BTW, Have you guys considered adding a corn dog to the menu? Maybe mini's. I would think they would be an easy addition with your fryer.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Here's a link to the WABC-TV Channel 7 video page. When you get there, scroll down to the list of videos and click on Neighborhood Eats: A Super Hot Dog. It probably will only be there until the next evening newscast.

nice job on the links rlibkind.

eric, matt, and staff: congrats on the exposure, and on an excellent hot dog(s).

Eric and Matt, let me just add my congratulations on this great piece of PR for Amazing Hot Dog. I thought the piece was really well done, you both look great and most importantly the hot dogs look tantalizing!

Rich is right. You guys are going to get your butts kicked over the next week. Better have all hands on deck!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've just read the Star-Ledger piece on AHD, and have just seen the WABC-Ch. 7 story by Laura Glassberg.  Great synergy.  And having the 4 anchor desk people sampling hot dogs after the piece was sheer genius. 

THey do that with every Glassberg "Neighborhood Eats" story, every week.

Sorry I missed the telecast - I usually catch it - and ABC won't let me access their website due to my antiquated browser. (I know, that's my problem.

Anyway, congrats on the great press! I drive by AHD almost every day, but since I'm on the job at those times, haven't been able to stop in. One day I will make time for it.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

God help you tomorrow.  I hope you're prepared for a huge wave of Saturday business.

I did not know abouteither of these two PR pieces... and planned a lunch date with my mom and my sister (and her family) . Got there around 11:45 and it was crowded.(didn't know why, until we heard discussion of the SL article) .. Had a great time though.. Eric (or was it Matt) seemed to recognize me from my visit last week.

Just a thought... If there is room, maybe add a 4-top table? (or swap a 2=top for a 4) There were 4 adults and a toddler, and the 2-tops just don't work. (no seating available at the counter area). My mom was a bit overwhelmed at the choices and elected to just sample ours. My sister agreed the fries were awesome, and we loved the Boylans on tap. 3 y.o. nephew kept asking for "more hot dog".

Keep up the great work!

I went today, and it was an absolute madhouse. I took my wife for her first visit. We got there around 2:30 and waited on line for about 10 minutes.

I know it was crowded, but we didn't receive our food until just past 3:20. They obviously weren't prepared for such a large crowd. They seemed overwhelmed. The food was still very good, but I think they needed to do a bit of a better job of speeding things along.

We were order #150. We ordered our food, then took our ticket to pay the cashier. For the most part, the finaces are taken care of ahead of time and separately from the food preparation. As we waited, there was about a minute or two between each order called off. For the most part, each order was delivered in order. I was a small bit perturbed to see my order placed into a bag, only to watch the lady behind the counter place it down and allow it to sit there.

She then went on to place other orders in bags only to call out, "order #152!" Then another couple of minutes, all the while me watching my food just sit there in the bag until Matt told her, "you know that's order 150 waiting to go out."

"Ok."

More loading of orders into bags.

"#150!"

The anticipation! I was a little upset watch my order just sit there cooling off, but I mean they've only been open for 2 weeks...

I guess the bottom line is that if you get there and there's a crowd out the door, just be prepared to have some patience at this point. I'm sure with a little time and a little practice it'll be smooth sailing ahead!

BTW, I changed things up today and went with a Smokey Joe. A sensational hotdog!

Best of luck moving forward guys! That ABC piece really boosted business today!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

We are sorry to hear about some people's inconvenience on Saturday, when we unfortunately ran out of food. We were lucky to garner some exciting press, but if you missed out in any way on trying one of our dogs, please come by another time - introduce yourself - and we'll do our best to accomodate you. We actually sold 1,000 dogs in 24 hours and had no way to anticipate the crowd. We have debriefed our staff since Saturday and are adding an additional person to just bag orders, and there will be 2 of us doing toppings rather than just one. We are limited by the square footage of our kitchen and were operating at absolute maximum capacity. Again Matt and I sincereley appologize for any inconvenience that was experienced, and hopefully you will come by another time to try out our food.

We are grateful and appreciate you, our customers and will do everything we can to make your experience at Amazing Hot dog a pleasant one.

Eric and Matt

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Rave reviews for a small restaurant at any level of cuisine are, almost always, great for the long term and disasterous in the short term. My experience with reviews is that most impact a restaurant for 2-3 weeks and then sales drop back to not that much higher than they were before the review. Then they start to build again on a gentler curve.

Most people upon seeing that you're knocking yourselves out trying to give good service understand the situation and will be back. Those that don't, ... They're probably better off at McDonald's anyway. :wink:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Stopped by late today around 700pm. Place was still hopping! We had 2 Caped Crusaders, 1 Hawaii 5-0, and 1 BLT. Side of fries and two limeades. Must say I was impressed with the dogs. The Caped Crusader was awesome. Next time it's the Nacho dog.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

BTW even though there are a couple of veggie offerings I can't help to feel deep sorrow for any steadfast vegan or vegetarian who have to miss out on these phenomenal meat filled tubes. ;)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

What is a Megan a Mutant Vegan?? :blink:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I read that as V=veg and M=MEAT. :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'll be coming up from FL for a few days this week.  I hope to stop in and say hello.  I know my mom was already in there representin'

Glad you guys are doing so well!

-Scott  :biggrin:

I look forward to meeting you Scott. Make sure you introduce yourself when you come in.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I read that as V=veg and M=MEAT.   :laugh:

I made the word up, to mean a vegetarian that will eat meat once in a while. As a joke.

Only, when they need extra protein or iron of course. :cool:

Or just can't resist a great steak, ribs or hot dog.

Edited by Peter Conway (log)

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

I read that as V=veg and M=MEAT.   :laugh:

I made the word up, to mean a vegetarian that will eat meat once in a while. As a joke.

Only, when they need extra protein or iron of course. :cool:

Or just can't resist a great steak, ribs or hot dog.

What really struck me as funny is I know a vegetarian named ....Megan

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I love hot dogs. Always have.

Growing up on Long Island, my faves were always found at Nathan's (either the original on Surf Ave. in Coney Island or the one in Oceanside), along with those peerless fries. Guilty admission: I even became a fan of the ridiculously greasy eggrolls at the Oceanside location. Oooooooh, they were greasy!

At home we've always eaten Hebrew National dogs (love their larger Dinner Franks as well!).

Last summer I even trekked over to the Best's plant to pick up a couple pkgs of the foot-longs, based on my appreciation of Syd's dogs. I was shown the selection of sizes, and also came away with some of the same chunky little furters AHD sells.

Late Saturday afternoon I finally decided to try AHD. It was dark, dreary, foggy, and rainy outside, but the place was warm, bright, and busy. I tried the #1 Classic Combo (mustard & kraut only, thank you), and I'm convinced that frying is definitely the way to go with this size dog. I loved the potato rolls, and those fries as well. Next time (soon!), I may stray into the realm of silly toppings.

And thanks for the freebie promo keychain, guys! You've got a winner.

-Soda

What promo key chain.  I didn't get no friggin' promo key chain!

I did and I left it in my pants pocket when they went through the wash. The key chain made it through the wash just fine. My flimsy excuse that I was late coming home "because of traffic" did not fare so well.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Got to try AHD yesterday. Gotta say I love the place. Have had dogs in Chicago and Toronto both claim to have the best in the world, and have covered many of the Jersey spots Hot Dog Johnny's, Hot Grill, Johnny & Hanges, Falls View, the old, now gone, Anthony Wayne, Goffle Gril, The After, etc.

These are real good.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog