• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

I went yesterday. I had a classic dog, a large order of fries and a limeade. The dog was okay. It would have been much better if the center had not been cold. I don't know if it had been frozen or just hadn't been been fried for long enough. The fries were excellent. The limeade was good, but didn't have enough tartness for my taste.

All in all, it was a good experience which would have been much better if the dog had been properly cooked.

Porkpa

Porkpa,

I appologize for your less than stellar experience at Amazing Hot Dog. We have addressd the issue with our team and are checking internal temperatures throughout the day to make sure it doesn't happen again. Please see me (Eric) the next time you come in so I can make it right.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Hit Amazing Dog today on my way to NYC. They're doing a bang-up job. The only problem with the dogs weighing in at a quarter pound is that it is hard to try a bunch. I reached capacity at about a dog and a half. Had the Amazing Dog and a classic with chili, onion and mustard. Both were excellent. My only suggestion would be a heated roll.

The fries were good, better than most. As I've said elsewhere, I think it is a waste to go to all the work to produce fresh cut, twice fried fries, and then to cut them shoestring style. But I realize I am out of step with much of the US, McD-reared french fry eating universe on this one.

Bunch more dogs I need to try though. Suspect I'll be back soon. A pleasure to meet Eric and Matt.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Went today, it was great to meet both Matt and Eric. I had a classic with mustard and sourkraut, the true classic, imo. Also had the fries and the limeade. I liked everything but I agree with John about the 5 to a lb. hot dogs over the quarter pounders. This would make it easier to keep the dog in the roll. I can't imagine getting some of the specialty dogs and trying to keep everything inside the roll. The fries were really good, a ridiculous amount for one person but really good.

In the words of the governor of California: I'll be back.

Went today. Introduced myself to Eric, who was very courteous despite being pretty busy.

My verdict:

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY :biggrin:

But then I love hot dogs and these are really good ones.

Took advantage of the special and got two dogs with a small fries and drink for 9.50 including tax. It was a good amount for me and my daughter.

Loved those fries! My daughter, who is four, said they were 'stupendous'. She promptly decided that the hot dog was going to be the dessert and the fries the main course.

She didn't finish her hot dog, she enjoyed the fries so much. And she had a lot of help from me. The chipotle mayo was great with them, although she stuck with catsup. Next time I’d be more inclined to order for her off the kids menu, not that her hot dog went to waste!

I had my hot dog with cheese whiz, I meant to have bacon with that too, but mis-ordered. I was trying to recreate an old time Chicago classic called the francheesee (grilled with cheese and bacon). Got to say, the dog was so good, didn't miss the bacon. I also meant to order slaw too, oh well next time!

It was interesting to listen to others around talking about their experiences. Two gentlemen at the end of the counter agreed that, while the toppings were great, the simpler you made it, the easier it was to eat (too many toppings falling off). Then there was one guy who sat near us who had two dogs with chili and a lot of other fixings. He must be a pro at this as he didn’t make a mess eating them. Most people seemed pleased and, honestly didn’t talk much as they were too busy eating.

I definitely will be back, but it may be a while, as it is a bit of a hike (20+ mins). Hope things continue to go well for Eric and Matt.

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Some new AHD photos:

gallery_2_2379_79073.jpg

Just out of the fryer

gallery_2_2379_49299.jpg

Who are you looking at?

gallery_2_2379_50607.jpg

And this is how hand cut fries are made.

gallery_2_2379_32793.jpg

The BLT dog and the Hawaii-Five-O.

gallery_2_2379_16767.jpg

Hawaii-Five-O closeup -- be sure to order some of the home made Chipotle Sambal sauce with this one.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Glad to know there's someone keeping them in business this week, Jason! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

:laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I went for the first time today. I introduced myself to Eric, and he was friendly and courteous. I told him I'd wanted to check it out earlier in the week, but he said I should be glad I didn't. He said things started off crazy, but today things were more calm.

I had an amazing with mustard and a small fries. The hotdog was plump and delicious, and the fries were crisp and delicious. I love fresh french fries, and these did not disappoint. I couldn't believe that the small order was as big as it was. A small order would be perfect for 2 people. I imagine the large to be for a family or the VERY hungry.

My only regret is that I didn't try the special lemon/lime drink. I wasn't as careful as I thought I was with the menu, and I didn't even realize it was an option.

I see myself eating more hotdogs in the future!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Jason,

Whats your favorite one thus far? Assuming it will change by your visit, next week or tomorrow..

Its kind of a tie between the Schmiero and the Jersey Breakfast.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Whats with this US obsession with the hot dog (and hamburger)?

Once in while, maybe at a fair, but its not real food.

Maybe its because you can eat them on the run, in the street, and you don't need grown up plates, or cutlery...

Besides with the unknown amount of BSE in the US, I'm not sure I'd trust minced beef of unknown origin.

Think of a hot dog as pate presented in a natural casing. Makes it more than fair food, eh.

What other culture, besides the US and Germany, has made pate so readily available?

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

That's fighting words, Jack.

That's fighting words, Jack.

I thought it might start an interesting discussion on the semiotics and societal significance of the hot dog, but if I posted that no one would answer. To me, Hot Dogs are nursery or street carnival food.

I wonder if they are popular because they reflect the "on the go" aspirations of the east coast US - it is I believe mainly an east coast phenomena - something eaten in passing rather than proper sit-down meal. Although sausage is certainly a German (and northern Europe) tradition, eating it in a bun is not. For example an English Banger is best enjoyed with mashed potato as the starch, onion gravy, and on a china plate, eaten with a knife and fork. Hand food (not counting canapes which are not sustenance) is for kids who can't use a knife and fork, or for when you are doing something else. Sandwiches were originally for when you were playing cards (or going on Exodus, and did not have time to eat properly.

According to Larousse Hot Dogs date to an advertising gimmick of around 1930.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

The fries were good, better than most.  As I've said elsewhere, I think it is a waste to go to all the work to produce fresh cut, twice fried fries, and then to cut them shoestring style.

Holly: Forgive my ignorance, but how would you cut them if not shoestring style?

---Guy

Can't wait to try out the dogs, they look awesome! See you soon and best of luck!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Skimmed this thread and the website, but cannot find a list of the hours for AHD. Also tried to call them, but their answering machine does not mention the hours. Can someone please post the hours, or give me the link , if it is somewhere in this thread already (and I missed it!)

The fries were good, better than most.  As I've said elsewhere, I think it is a waste to go to all the work to produce fresh cut, twice fried fries, and then to cut them shoestring style.

Holly: Forgive my ignorance, but how would you cut them if not shoestring style?

---Guy

The cut I prefer is 3/8" or 1/4"

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Skimmed this thread and the website, but cannot find a list of the hours for AHD. Also tried to call them, but their answering machine does not mention the hours.  Can someone please post the hours, or give me the link , if it is somewhere in this thread already (and I missed it!)

OOPSY!! Hours are now posted on the home page of our website. They are:

Monday thru Friday 10 AM to 8PM

Saturday 11AM to 8PM

Closed Sundays

Will check my greeting on our answering service tomorrow :wink:

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

---Guy

The cut I prefer is 3/8" or 1/4"

Holly, I'm pretty sure that we're at 3/8ths, I'll check the die tomorrow. We are definatley NOT as small as Mickey D's, which I consider more of a shoestring cut.

Either way, i'm pretty darn proud of my fries and pleased with how we have been able to apply the belgiun technique to a quick serve retail environment. There's alot of labor(albeit labor of love) involved but to me it's all worth it!!

I think I just realized that in your post you weren't actually saying that we serve shoestring cut fries, I think you were just stating your general annoyance when (other) places go to all the trouble and cut em shoestring...eh It's late, and my brain is....well....FRIED. hope to see you again soon,

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Skimmed this thread and the website, but cannot find a list of the hours for AHD. Also tried to call them, but their answering machine does not mention the hours.  Can someone please post the hours, or give me the link , if it is somewhere in this thread already (and I missed it!)

OOPSY!! Hours are now posted on the home page of our website. They are:

Monday thru Friday 10 AM to 8PM

Saturday 11AM to 8PM

Closed Sundays

Will check my greeting on our answering service tomorrow :wink:

Thanks, ejebud. Also just saw your wife's posting on the West Orange list... one more question... What is the parking situation in the immediate area. I am mobility-challenged, and find it difficult to walk long distances... is it only parallel parking along Bloomfield Ave, or is there a lot nearby?

Looking forward to visiting tonight.. have mentioned it to my hubby when he asked what I wanted to do for dinner tonight.