• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing Hot Dog

ejebud

We're so sad to hear that your opening has been delayed! We'll be watching your progress, hungrily! BTW, anything in the way of a corndog happening?

Yes, it is sad, on so many levels, However, we will persevere. We are discussing a corn dog, but it appears there is special equipment neccessary to do them right otherwise a homemade/makeshift system needs to be made ie. you can't just dip the dogs and float them in the oil. There has to be a holder thingamajig. They sell small fryers just for corn dogs and corn dog equipment that will only fit those special fryers. Who knew that Corndogs were a whole seperate thing?? Anyway, we will continue to research the possibilities.

Thanks for hanging in there with us.

Eric

Amazing Hot Dog

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Yep, it's a fryer container with clips on the top insides, to hold the 'stick' while the dog is frying. YUM! I dream of a kosher dog wrapped in corn bread batter, but it will probably never happen. I really like the batter, but the dogs could use some 'help'.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 1 month later...

Well folks, tonight's the night!! At 7:30 PM in the hallowed halls of the Verona Municipal Complex, the fate of Amazing Hot Dog will be determined. As I said in my previous post,

"So one of the board members suggested that they use the monies that we deposited in escrow to present our menu and exhaust equipment proposal to an outside 3rd party expert that they would get and return with a report. We will meet again to discuss only the report and not hear or review ANY of the previous testimony. The opposing local residences will have an opportunity to address the report as well."

This is end of a VERY long 2 month waiting period since our last meeting. It really has been mentally painful. I am looking forward to closing this chapter of the Amazing Hot Dog story and beginning the next. Our confidence level is high that we will be approved tonight, but you never know what bumps in the road might materialize.

I will let you know tomorrow morning how it went.

Please send all positive vibes to Amazing Hot Dog via the Universe. It knows how to contact me 24/7

Friday night will be a celebration dinner if we get approved, if not it will be cheer up dinner :wink:

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

TAP, TAP, TAP...hello, Eric! This is the UNIVERSE. Vibes are overwhelmingly good here for you! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Good Luck Eric...

P.S. If you ever need a zoftig taste tester who is also a "supertaster" see me! LOL I've "taste tested" for KFC pre-marketing foodstuffs and other fast food chains. Although not a pro I have a great tongue and varied likes/dislikes. I've been re-called by them and also put on their "special panels". My only "problem" is an aversion to "green" foods and I am not much into spicy, flavorful YES, spicy... NO!

I used to live in Livingston for many years and if you ask me Verona is a great place to run and own a business next to the West Orange area down there. again, goodluck and best wishes.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Thank you, Thank You, Thank you all for your well wishes.  A little nosh at Eppes Essen before the meeting and we're good to go!!  I'll post here tomorrow with the latest developments.

Eric

I relish :raz: a good nosh, used to hang out at Eppes Essen (hubby says its too greasy for him) but I used to love it in my High School/Livingston days.

"Frank"ly :blink: speaking... I'm sure we'll all wait to hear you "catch-up" with us about the meeting. (groan) -grin- :laugh:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

WE HAVE A RESTAURANT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!! We got approval by way of unanimous vote. Our perserverance has paid off and this chapter of the Amazing Hot Dog story is closed. Now we get to work our butts off and spend a whole lotta money. gOing for permits tomorrow AM and calling all our contractors and equiptment vendors who have been waiting in the wings. I am so relieved. I'll try to document as best as I can both verbally and visually ie photos. Thanks for all your support thus far and if you ever drive by and see the door open or lights on PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop by and say hello.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

WE HAVE A RESTAURANT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!  We got approval by way of unanimous vote.  Our perserverance has paid off and this chapter of the Amazing Hot Dog story is closed.  Now we get to work our butts off and spend a whole lotta money.  gOing for permits tomorrow AM and calling all our contractors and equiptment vendors who have been waiting in the wings.  I am so relieved.  I'll try to document as best as I can both verbally and visually ie photos.  Thanks for all your support thus far and if you ever drive by and see the door open or lights on PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop by and say hello.

Eric

YEEEEHA ...until tomorrow mr restaurant owner

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Congratulations Eric! :biggrin:

I hope you do as good as or better than a place I loved the hot dogs at years ago, called H.A. Winstons, they were in Philly and also I think in Union NJ. I don't know if they are around anymore but they made a kicka$$ hot dog with creamy nacho style cheddar cheese and it was wrapped in bacon on a potato bun! :wub: It's been about 20 years but I remember it like it was yesterday! Anyhow GOODLUCK! :cool:

:wink: Great news, Eric! CONGRATULATIONS! Looking forward to the celebration.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

WE HAVE A RESTAURANT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!  We got approval by way of unanimous vote.  Our perserverance has paid off and this chapter of the Amazing Hot Dog story is closed.  Now we get to work our butts off and spend a whole lotta money.  gOing for permits tomorrow AM and calling all our contractors and equiptment vendors who have been waiting in the wings.  I am so relieved.  I'll try to document as best as I can both verbally and visually ie photos.  Thanks for all your support thus far and if you ever drive by and see the door open or lights on PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop by and say hello.

Eric

Congratulations!

Look forward to hearing about the grand opening!

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

So ejebud, now that your place is to become a reality, have you given any more concrete thought as to what kind of dog(s) you are going to use? Are you still settled on Best's? You gonna go with Pizza Bread on your Italian Dogs or more like Italian rolls?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Congratulations! I'll definitely stop by on my way home from work in East Orange when you're open. Bergen and Passaic Counties have a lot of good hot dog places but there doesn't seem to be any good places in Essex County. You're filling a void. Congratulations again and keep us updated on the progress!

So ejebud, now that your place is to become a reality, have you given any more concrete thought as to what kind of dog(s) you are going to use? Are you still settled on Best's? You gonna go with Pizza Bread on your Italian Dogs or more like Italian rolls?

Jason and all who care,

We have definatley decided on Best's hot dogs, the old Don's quarter pounders. At this time we **GULP** do not have an Italian Hot dog on the menu. My thinking on this one is that there are many places including real live Italian delis that do Italian hot dogs and do them well. I do not want to throw some peppers and onions, and I certaintly refuse to toss Twice cooked, Belgium Pommes Fritte on to a hot dog on an unauthentic bread product and blaspheme(sp?) the Genuine NJ creation that IS THE Italian Hot Dog. Plenty of places will; Amazing Hot Dog WILL NOT!! My Italian hot dog is more inclined to be Marinara and Whole milk Mozzarella than the amalgamation described above. Call it a pet peeve of mine, but it's my restaurant and it's how I feel.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Sounds yummy, I may have to work my ezpass to visit you sometime so if you see a big lady with a big smile just wave and say "HI Stacey, I knew it was you!" :laugh: Again goodluck on making your dream a reality hon'.

Where are you if coming from I-95 in Delaware? We would love to stop in to a BRAND NEW hot dog restaurant. Believe it or not, there are NO hot dog joints in central Virginia. We have to drive to Newport News, so why not stop by on the way to Trenton.

Very best of luck,

Chef Salad

Eric