• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushrooms and Knives

Hello helpful people,

TOdays rainy weather is making me think of mushrooms. Is there a mushroom saison here in Quebec? I heard we have lovely wild mushrooms here. Is there a store or market that is specialized? I like cepes, portobella, oyster, morels, or more exotic also.

I can guess it is very expensive but can we have piemontese truffles here? Maybe from France?

I searched the archives and I found a lot of discussions about where not to sharpen your knife professionally but no clues of where to go to get it done well! My beloved Wusthofs are very dull and desprately need to be sharpened and honed. Where can I go to get this done?

Edited by Suckles (log)

Chez Louis at the Jean-Talon market has the widest selection of mushrooms in town. Nextdoor at Chez Nino, the selection is somewhat smaller but the prices often better.

Piedmont truffles come from Italy, not France. Chez Louis carries both types — black in the summer and white in the fall — as well as French truffles in the early winter and Oregon truffles in the late spring/early summer.

Can't help you with the knife sharpening as I sharpen my own. Didn't someone here recommend a place on Papineau near Parc Lafontaine a while ago?

Thank you Carswell very helpful. I know that piemontese truffles are not from france, what I mean is if there are no piemontese maybe someone sells perigord.

I will ask at the jeantalon market thank you.

Hello helpful people,

TOdays rainy weather is making me think of mushrooms. Is there a mushroom saison here in Quebec? I heard we have lovely wild mushrooms here. Is there a store or market that is specialized? I like cepes, portobella, oyster, morels, or more exotic also.

I can guess it is very expensive but can we have piemontese truffles here? Maybe from France?

I searched the archives and I found a lot of discussions about where not to sharpen your knife professionally but no clues of where to go to get it done well! My beloved Wusthofs are very dull and desprately need to be sharpened and honed. Where can I go to get this done?

Morels are an early spring mushroom, but it was too dry in central Canada for any success this year. There was a tremendous amount gathered in the Yukon, but here, the mycelia will stay stay dormant until next April, in the most unlikely locations.

Chanterelles are harvested in autumn, and there may be quite a few in wooded areas this fall.

Truffles are grown in the Pacific Northeast by spreading spores, but I don't think it is a viable product; most of what we get comes from France and Italy, and price keeps going up.

Your Wustofs won't be very beloved for long, until they are sharpened professionally, or you learn a few simple home techniques. There is a superb forum on knife shaepening

in egullet.

Hello friends.

I bought some mushrooms today from Jean Talon market (various vendors). I t seem that most mushrooms are cultivate herein QC. This is so sad since the ones I bought have no taste at all! Spend a fortune on portobellos and shitaakes and oyster and no taste!!! Very disappointed. I bought also a big box of cafe mushrooms aka buttons and they were the same taste but different texture. So sad. I know and for sure there is better venfors here in Montreal?!

I had some great saucisse grille at the JTM yumm, so tasty!!!

• 1 month later...
I see alot of menu's that provide "wild mushroom entre's", but upon asking the chef the varieties, I find the same. Cultivated Shitake, Oyster, Crimini.

Is this because of cost, preference or lack of wild product?

cost i think. wild mushrooms here are veryv ery expensive like gold. if you find the real thing, fresh not dried, be prepared to pay.

cost, or what people are willing to pay (depends how you look at it)

As a restaurateur I would find it hard to serve a real wild mushroom plate for less that 18$ Most customers (let's forget about us food junkie e-gulleters) expect to pay anywhre from 8-14$ for a mushroom entree depending on the other restarant features. at that ticket price, is it very difficult for a restauranteur to even cover his cost when getting into morrel and other wild fare.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick note - I found a place to do knife sharpening. I found it is called AGUISSAGE here. The place is on St. Laurent near Little Italy on the right side of the street, big resto supply store. They made an excellent job, thank you.

Following the story in the newspaper I went to te marche Jean Talon and Chez Louis. They have quite a lot of tartufo , at $6,500 per kilo. Same price for a small truffle or a large one all by weight. The smallest was $30 good for a small plate for 2.

They look and smell just as good as at home in fact better control by the nice Mr. Charles who is very truffle enthusiaste. He keep saying he have the best in the city so i assume that other places have them maybe at lower prices.

Also they have amazing selection oif mushrooms, wild ones, looks great.

carswell, norten did a good job. it cost me 7 dollars for my two knives (boning knife and fish knife). i think i can also save money on my mach3 razors now, since i can shave with these mofo's. i recommend the guys at norten, no problem. thanks suckles!

are there any other places that people would highly recommend? i heard that the guy on bluery just south of ste cahterine was great, but apparently the older dude who did the knives either passed away or isn't there anymore. anyway, i brought my knives to that place last year (after the older gentleman stopped his work there) and the younger guy kind of butchered my poor little globals. my gsf15 was toast! anyway, NORTEN: wins the war on drugs.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker