• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Weenies in Sauce....

tryska

Okay so in the last few days on a couple of different threads people have mentioned their l'il smokies in sauce recipes.

And everyone's is different, but apparently there is a theme of "prepared jar of this + prepared jar of that"

they all seem to have a sweet component as well - so i would like to know how you make your cocktail weenie sauce, and more importantly who you got the combo from? I'd like to know where this sauce-making technique came from. I'm guessing it's prolly from some 50s style cookbook or manufacturer's recipe - but the variety of what goes into the sauce is curious to me.

Mine ,as i mentioned in another thread, is 1 jar dijon mustard plus 1 jar currant jelly.

I got the recipe in highschool from a friend's mother. They were Polish if that matters any.

Being a barbecue fiend, my preferred version is:

Enough Gates' Barbecue Sauce to cover them all

Then nuke them for about a minute.

(A make-your-own Gates' Sauce recipe exists. PM me if you want it.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 3 months later...

I go to Arby's and get their version of a BBQ sauce. It has become a family favorite and they still don't know where I get it. Not being fast food fans, they have never figured it out. It is one of the few things that I haven't fessed up to. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

grape jelly and mustard. I think it's equal parts - but it's been so long since I've had them I can't be certain.

my aunt's mother always made them when I was a kid.

when i left my job at texarkana public library it was weenies in one jar of grape jelly with one jar of chili sauce.

from a former coworker who came to nj from ohio and now is down in the triangle -

2/3 cup bourbon(and jack daniels is NOT bourbon - it is whiskey)

1 1/2 cups ketchup

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 Tbsp onion, grated

mix these ingredients. add hot dogs and simmer 1 hour.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

grape jelly and chili sauce.

It is how my mother made them in high school in the 50's in West Texas.

Doesn't sound very good, but they are delicious and a Halloween staple at our house.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Around here, what we mean by chili sauce is usually the Heinz stuff in the bottle. It is fairly common in recipes for red sauce for seafood. It is a lot like ketchup. Oddly enough, I can't find it on the Heinz site. It is a little bit spicier and with a bit more sweet/sour bite than ketchup, but not much.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

grape jelly and chili sauce.

It is how my mother made them in high school in the 50's in West Texas.

Doesn't sound very good, but they are delicious and a Halloween staple at our house.

Us, too. And sometimes I mix the grape jelly and chili sauce and put it over meatballs instead of the weiners. Very tasty appetizer.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My mom always uses cans of Contadina's Sweet & Sour Sauce. She puts the weenies and sauce in a crock pot, cranks it on high for a while and then puts it on low/simmer for the rest of the night/potluck.

Unfortunately, this recipe doesn't call for grape jelly. Sorry! :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Currant or grape jelly, ketchup, possibly Kraft BBQ sauce (I don't like it, but that's what mom puts in.) Add drained tinned pineapple tidbits along with the Lil' Smokies for a "Polynesian" touch.

I read someone disparaging cocktail weiner sauces made with grape jelly somewhere on here a few days ago. I don't make this dish myself, but I've enjoyed it at more than a few gatherings over the years. When I read the negative comment, I thought, "What is grape jelly, after all? If it were descrbied as 'Fresh Concord grapes, simmered gently and pressed to extract all the sweet essence...,' it would be clamored over! And, that is what I see people do over those chafing dishes of weiners at parties. :-)

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

From an ex-brother-in-law (no, it wasn't the cocktail weenies in sauces fault  :cool: ) here's a combo: red currant jelly and prepared horseradish.

Sort of gourmet-like with that la-de-dah red currant jelly, huh?  :smile:

yay! another red currant fan - I mix mine with dijon mustard but I'm going to give the horseradish a go. or perhaps horsradish mustard. mmm.

and Lori in PA i agree - people do clamor for it don't they? no matter what you toss with what to drown the weenies in.

Toliver i've never seen Contadina's sweet and sour sauce - is it tomato based or like Chinese restaurant sweet and sour?

Toliver i've never seen Contadina's sweet and sour sauce - is it tomato based or like Chinese restaurant sweet and sour?

Contadina's web site.

I tried finding a picture of the label/can on the web but this link is the best I could do. In the link above, if you look at the canned item just above "Other Products" (in the 2 o'clock position), you'll see the can of Sweet & Sour sauce.

My guess is that there are tomatoes in the sauce (since it is a Contadina product) though I don't recall the sauce as ever being very tomato-ey in flavor. It is reddish but not day-glo like some of the stuff you get in chinese restaurants and there some bits of pineapple in it, as well. I believe it's usually found in the condiment aisle of the grocery store as opposed to the canned tomato-product aisle.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks for the tip on the Contadina, Toliver. I didn't know it existed. I will have to give that stuff a try.

I agree on the old grape jelly routine. That is what I did before I "discovered" the Arby's sauce. I still run into the old recipe at parties and it is oddly delicious.

I also confess that for PB&J there is nothing like Welch's grape jelly. Must be a kid thing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

so fifi - how do you procure the arby's sauce? i confess i have a mental image of you driving up to the window and just asking for 50 packets, or sneaking in a tupperware container and pumping the hell out of their self-serve stations....

oh And Toliver - I'm going to have to thank you too - i never knew such a product existed either.

Edited by tryska (log)

It has been a few years since I have done it. I remember at one time, you could buy it in jars. I don't know about now. Before that, I begged a lot and the manager would fill a jar or two for me.

Click here for a copy cat recipe. I have no idea if it is close. There is definitely clove in there somewhere. Perhaps this recipe gets that from the Lea & Perrins.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Call me a freak I only ever used bbq sauce, honey and hot sauce

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 weeks later...

All I do is melt a 10 ounce jar of grape jelly under low heat in a saucepan. Once sufficiently melted and bubbly, I add a 12 ounce jar of Heinz chili sauce. I add homemade meatballs and simmer. Walla! I've tried it with cocktail weenies once and I prefer the meatballs better.

It's always the first thing to go at my annual Halloween party.

I've never told anyone the secret except my husband and my girlfriend who begged me for the "recipe."

I know that this sauce is scorned by the culinary elite the world over. But I sheepishly admit that I love it. And it seems like my guests do too.

This whole grape jelly thing....I don't get. I'll have to try it.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

My mom makes a mix of meatballs, pineapple chunks, smokies and wieners. She browns all the meats, then tosses it all with the pineapple and a bottle of Catalina French salad dressing and bakes it or crockpots it.