• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Meal (for awhile) in SF

Sue Flay

We're moving away in the middle of September and have funds for one more snazzy meal in the Bay Area. Where should we go? We've been to Chez Panisse, Manka's, Quince, various other places--but we're looking for a last hurrah. What's the one place we shouldn't miss?

We're moving to Seattle, so there will certainly be good food there.

That's where we moved to. And now from. :)

Edited to add...

There is certainly good food there, but there are many things that you can get here that you won't find done terribly well there (and, to a limited extent, vice-versa). Most of the things that pop to mind are ethnic -- thai, mexican, dim sum -- and not necessarily the kind of top-tier "last supper" that I think you're looking for.

I'd avoid any place that specializes in seafood or small plates (as just two examples) since you will not lack for great examples of either in your new home.

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Manresa for a blowout meal -- you can get 22 course tasting menus there if you want, and sit and eat for 5 hours straight. I liked Danko, but there is no comparison.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm interested as to why those of you in the know wouldn't suggest Zuni Cafe? I've never been to San Francisco so I don't know about any of the others (apart from the French Laundry, natch)...

Zuni's a great place for a meal...but I wouldn't consider it a "last meal" kind of place.

Don't know if it qualifies for "last meal" status, but I still think about the dinner I had at Aziza earlier this year...and wish I could find a place like it out here!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

la folie is pretty rich, if you like that kind of thing. high quality though, and a nice room.

maybe do a tour of north beach:

enrico's smoked salmon with cucumber jam

osteria del forno's thin crust pizza

michaelangelo's pasta with clams

dessert at moose's or monkey bar

in seattle: don't miss lampreia and wild ginger (excellent!!!)