• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Michael Anthony

tommy

Michael Anthony's mention of eGullet is in a piece on the best new chefs in the US (there are a number mentioned). . . .There is a picture of the summer lettuce soup with *pickled eggplant* that Anthony created with co-chef Dan Barber, also named one of the best new chefs.

Michael Anthony, formerly sous-chef at March, won the First Annual Bertolli Sous Chef Awards. As reported by the spring issue of Art Culinaire, the runners-up were Gregory Short of the French Laundry and Stefano Zimei, formerly sous-chef and now executive chef at The Federalist in Boston.  

One of Anthony's creations photographed was the Smoked Salmon Belly with Avocado-Yogurt Puree an Pickled Watermelon. Note the utilization of pickled eggplant in the dish described by Food & Wine.  I wonder what other uses pickling has at BH.   :wink:

Unlike past "Best Chefs" groups, this year's crowd is almost all male and all the males are incredibly good looking. If only they'd show more (human) flesh in the photos. Oddly, however, the dishes listed for these chefs are not very appatizing. I guess the proper descriptor might be "ethereal"?

For the record, I learned of egullet.com by reading Michael Anthony's little blurb. Thanks much!.

No, in the very competitive world of higher-end cooking--and it doesn't get more competitive than in NY--it seems rare, if ever, that experience, age, egos and the media allow something like this to occur.  

In my experience, at the elite level the truly talented chefs and pastry chefs have no trouble whatsoever co-existing and sharing and collaborating--it is lesser or immature chefs that grab the spotlight, forgetting how lucky they are to be where they are or who has gone before.

I think I mentioned earlier in another thread that I think these are not only two of the most talented chefs working in NY right now, but two of the absolutely nicest guys. Of course it's well worth mentioning again if only because Mike reads here.

:biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.