• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Gingko Nuts

Abra

Are they the nuts, or the nuts with the fruit attached? If they have the fruit -- beware they contain oils found in poision oak. I unforutnately have a female ginko tree in my front yard which graces me with hundreds of pounds of stinky fruit in October.

You may want to check this thread for more info:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

To get at the nut, you'll have to crack the shells (try pliers if your regular nutcrakcer doesn't hack it) and then soak the nuts in hot water to free the skins. Shell them shortly before you plan to use them; once shelled, they perish quickly.

I've had my eye on this recipe with the fall in mind. There's also a Japanese custard dish famously made with the nut. (In fact, you might consider posting your query on the Japan forum.) They're also nice grilled or roasted, the only way I've prepared them. Pickled, they are great as a garnish for a "ginkgotini," especially when sake replaces the vermouth.

I've had my eye on this recipe with the fall in mind. There's also a Japanese custard dish famously made with the nut. (In fact, you might consider posting your query on the Japan forum.)

The recipe that you posted looks good. BTW, the Japanese name for these nuts is ginnan, which might help when doing a search for recipes. The Japanese savory custard dish is chawan mushi.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Wow, I had no idea! What I have is just the nuts, no fruit, which sounds like a good thing. Thanks for that link, Johnder, and that terrific-looking recipe, Carswell. Ok, crack 'em and soak 'em it'll be. I wonder how long they'll keep unshelled in the fridge - it feels a little early for chestnuts, although I do have some in the freezer from last year.

A Japanese friend of mine once served fresh ginkgo nuts as an appetizer with drinks before dinner. She shelled them, soaked them to remove the papery skins, threaded them on (soaked) bamboo skewers a few at a time, and broiled them until they were hot and golden. She then served them on small plates, sprinkled with salt.

Re: Tepee's post below, that probably should be "blanched" rather than soaked. I didn't see that part of the preparation.

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

A Japanese friend of mine once served fresh ginkgo nuts as an appetizer with drinks before dinner. She shelled them, soaked them to remove the papery skins, threaded them on (soaked) bamboo skewers a few at a time, and broiled them until they were hot and golden. She then served them on small plates, sprinkled with salt.

Yeah, a popular dish in Japan.

See post #15 in

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...45036&hl=imaiya

Yeah, a popular dish in Japan.

See post #15 in

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...45036&hl=imaiya

Yes, that's them! :biggrin:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

If the nuts are very fresh, they will keep for at least 3 weeks in the fridge.

An alternative to the nutcracker, is using a pestle. Hold the nut on its side (ie. with the sharp side resting on a towel for grip).Lightly knock the other sharp side with the pestle. You just need to crack it a little, too much pressure may squash your pak gor (as we call it in cantonese). The nuts should be plump and smooth, throw away any nuts which have any shrivels, are hard, or grey.

Yup, blanch in hot water to soften the skin and peel. Some people don't like the bitter light green thingy (*blush* I don't know what you call it) in the middle. So, using a toothpick, that can be removed with a push from the bottom to the top.

Use them in stir-fries and even stews....with green vegetables or mushrooms, anything. It's taste is neutral, yet very pleasant, at least to me.

It's commonly boiled in a tong sui (dessert soup)...you can see a tiny corner of a bowl of gingko nut soup here. Wash a cup of pearl barley, then boil in a pot, with, oh 10 cups of water, throw in as many cleaned gingko nuts as you wish, add hard-boiled quail eggs and bean curd sheets. Sweeten with rock sugar. If you like, you can add some egg 'flower'...crack an egg into the boiling soup, and separate it with chopsticks or fork. This soup is said to be very yuon...soothing for the system.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

There's really no limit, Abra, (gosh, how many do you intend to consume??? :blink: ), not unless you're in your early stages of pregnancy :smile: . The nuts are said to be dook (toxic) to a tiny foetus. A few nuts in the later stages are fine.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

One of the links upthread said not to eat more than 17 at a time. I just wondered if that's silly, or if there really is some sort of toxicity threshold for adults. And if I'm pregnant, it'd be a medical miracle!

17!!!!? :wacko: Although I love the stuff, I don't think I've taken more than 10 at a go. To be on the safe side, think moderation. Anyway, a yuon soup helps you offset some of the bad heat in your body and enjoy a calm dreamless sleep.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)