• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gunpowder Teas

docsconz

My son recently returned from China and brought back some wonderfully scented tea from The Bell Tower Tea House. Unfortunately since the package is in Chinese, I am uncertain of the specific variety. It is, however, of the "gunpowder" style. I have never had this kind of tea before let alone brewed any. How much should one use and what would be the best method for brewing and then storing this tea?

I will add some photos shortly.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Although it's a "round" tea, it's not a gunpowder, I agree with jpr54_.

But I'd infuse it as any other green - start with water that has dropped down to 150-165 degrees and infuse for no longer than 2 minutes if you're doing a single infusion. If you're going for multiple, start with 15-30 seconds for the first infusion and add 15 seconds for each successive infusion to four or five infusions.

Thank you for your responses. What is the difference between gunpowder and pearl teas? Are there special charactreistics for "round" teas?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Gunpowder is pieces of leaf rolled into little tiny pellets... pearl teas like yours will unfurl into whole leaves...

Other differences are in the processing... gunpowders are more aggressively fired, giving them a much different flavor.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 5 weeks later...

As for storing your tea.. the container you have is pretty standard where I am in Beijing. BUT, our weather is incredibly dry and our consumption rate quite rapid, so a loosely sealed tea isn't too much of a concern. If you think your home is relatively dry and expect to go through your tea within a half a year then I would say not to think too much about how to store it. One thing that is easy to check out with jasmine teas is whether the fragrance easily leaks out of the container. If it does quite a bit, change container or drink the tea faster!

Sorry, possibly went into too much detail. Anyhow, enjoy.

Joel