• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Smithy - Clinging to Summer's Backside in Duluth

Smithy

Another option for your stuffed chicken is to secure it closed with raw pasta instead of toothpicks--spaghetti or similar.  It will cook along with the dish and not be noticable at the end.  I may have gotten this trick from Cook's Illustrated.

That's a nice idea! Thanks!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here's a mystery weed for y'all: what is it? It really is a mystery to me, so unless someone else comes up with an answer, don't expect one here. Russ asked me whether it was "anything worth keeping" and I said no, to which he breathed a sigh of relief. Then I started looking at it more. It doesn't have much of an odor to me, and it has no more than a green taste, nothing recognizably herby. Flowers are pretty, though, aren't they? There's more growing in my unweeded garden, so losing this particular plant from the pavement won't hurt anything. Still...I could give Russ a start if someone on eGullet said "That's valuable! Don't pull it!" and told me what it is. :wink:

gallery_28661_3_73452.jpg

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Earlier I started talking about how things have changed in the last 25 years. Today I'm going to discuss it in the frame of the North Shore and Duluth, by way of leading you to a smoked fish tour.

The North Shore of Lake Superior was not even passable by road, a century ago. People went to Grand Marais, some 90 miles upshore from Duluth, by boat or not at all. In the summer the mail came the same way. In the winter an Ojibwe man named John Beargrease ran the mail by dog team, and every winter there's a commemorative sled dog race along the same route. Fast forward a few decades, and there was a road that ran inland but generally not along the shore. That road is now county road, not state, and not considered very scenic. It's a wonderful back-route detour to avoid the tourist traffic, if you know it. :cool:

By the time I got here, the highway ran right up the shore, but it was twisty and rather narrow, and a couple of bad patches netted overanxious truckers every winter. As transportation has gotten better and tourism has increased, the road has been steadily improved. I'm not always sure it's an improvement, really: the better the road, the faster people travel it. The highway folks would know whether the accident rate has gone down. I don't. I do know the traffic's heavier and faster, although usually not when I'm driving the road.

Tourism has also meant an increase in building, and a tendency to go more upscale in the resorts. Certain areas like Castle Danger have always had tourist resorts. Some have been sacrificed to the grader to make way for newer, larger, fancier resorts and condos. Some have managed to stay the same. Some have adapted in their own way. Cases in point, all within a half mile of each other:

The Gooseberry Park Cabins have been around as long as I can remember. Although they've gotten a face lift sometime in the past decade, I believe they're the same size they always were.

gallery_28661_3_1638.jpg

By the way, that's Lake Superior in the background. This picture doesn't show it clearly, but the Wisconsin shoreline, at least 20 miles away, was clearly visible yesterday.

A similar set of cabins, with a quirky little statue out front, was demolished just up the highway maybe 10 years ago, to make way for the Grand Superior Lodge and Conference Center.

gallery_28661_3_4554.jpg

Note how much bigger everything is? They have condos for sale or rent, hotel rooms for rent with a couple of conference rooms, and a smashingly good restaurant and bar. I have to admit, I like the restaurant, and the conference facilities have come in handy. Still, it represented a major change to the area. You'll find things like medallions of venison in a port wine sauce, or pecan-crusted walleye, or some other interesting twist on local food.

Just across the road from the Gooseberry Cabins, and perhaps still owned by the same people, is the Rustic Inn. The Rustic has done a fine job of adapting and expanding, and as far as I know they do a booming business. Their meals have always been good when I've gone, but to the best of my knowledge it's still basic down-home cooking, done beautifully. I could be wrong, it's a while since I ate there except for their pies. Now, here's how they adapted: see the two end buildings, one saying "Pies" and the other saying "Gift Shop"? They used to be joined by a much smaller, shorter segment. I think that segment held the actual restaurant, but my memory may be wrong. When the business had to be relocated to make way for the highway expansion, they moved those two segments and joined them with a significantly larger, nicer restaurant. It's lovely inside: hardwood floors, comfortable seating, and...

gallery_28661_3_23600.jpg

...the best pies on the North Shore, perhaps in the state. Don't let anyone kid you about this: the Rustic Inn's pies are far better than Betty's. They regularly make apple and chocolate pies, that I can recall. The chocolate pie crust is flaky and delicate, just spiced with cinnamon. When the season is right, you can get tart sweet strawberry rhubarb pie, or blueberry pie, or mixed berry pies. Fresh produce at its finest. I thought about stopping to buy some pie, but right now I'm overwhelmed with smoked fish. Take my word for it. Stop in some time and try it for yourself.

Castle Danger, where these photos were taken and where I lived for a time, is about 9 miles up the shore from Two Harbors. Roughly the same distance downshore from Two Harbors is the fishing community of Knife River. There are at least 3 smoked fish operations there as well as a small diner.

I went first to Russ Kendall's Smoked Fish, as it's the one I usually think of when I go to Knife River. SnowAngel, is this the one you mean?

gallery_28661_3_16705.jpg

Inside and behind the counter is an amazing variety of fish, all smoked on the premises and most from Lake Superior: trout, cisco, herring, whitefish, 2 kinds of salmon, and smoked shrimp. No, the salmon and shrimp aren't local.

gallery_28661_3_11732.jpg

You can't see it in the photo, but the young woman holding a whitefish for inspection was wearing a tee-shirt that said "Fish aren't for farming. Eat wild fish." The sketch was of a fish riding a tractor traveling down neat rows of fish tails coming up from the ground. :cool:

I came away with whitefish, cisco, herring, and a bit of salmon. I'll show you my take later and describe the differences. Here are salmon, cisco and herring, so you can see relative sizes.

gallery_28661_3_68409.jpg

We had a lovely chat, the energetic young woman and I, and during the course of the conversation I learned that Smokey Kendall is not Russ Kendall, and that the place I know as "Betty's Bar" also sells fish! I hadn't realized that before, although the sign out front clearly says so. I backtracked to Betty's. This place is the local watering hole, and every so often there's an old-timey music jam session. The other fun thing about Betty's is her Betty Boop fixation.

gallery_28661_3_68059.jpg

If you look very closely, you'll see salmon, cisco, whitefish and trout on the counter in the lower left of the picture. I had to do a comparison, you see.

These two places, which may or may not have been founded by brothers (depending on whose story is right) have both been in business for decades, are quite unchanged, and thriving. Now let's go down the shore to Duluth and Canal Park, to see some changes. I'm going to focus on my two favorite businesses in the Dewitt-Seitz building. You saw its exterior some time ago.

First stop: Northern Waters Smokehaus. They've been in business about 5 years, and they represent the beautiful side of change: more choice than ever before. Check out these meats!

gallery_28661_3_108646.jpg

I didn't get the andouille sausage in there, but to my tastes it's pretty good. It probably isn't hot enough for true Southerners, but it has a nice texture and spice. (Up here, many natives think that ketchup is 'hot'. That's changing too, but allowances must still be made.)

There's a fine selection of artisan cheeses, both domestic and imported. You can try nearly anything. You aren't obligated to buy.

gallery_28661_3_101080.jpg

gallery_28661_3_14824.jpg

I was looking for Bravo Farms cheddar, and they were out, but I came away with some Beaufort cheese and (what else?) smoked salmon. Oh yes, I was nearly forgetting the fish! I was suprised to see that they did have smoked whitefish; it's never registered on me before. They are the only place I've seen with flavored coatings on their smoked salmon: dill, Cajun, black pepper and coriander. You can also get plain smoked fish. This shot shows multi-striped fish - the variety pack, so to speak - but filets with only one coating, or none at all, are also available. That's whitefish at the left.

gallery_28661_3_15214.jpg

This place also has a deli section with excellent sandwiches. I dithered over a gyros today but thought better of it and moved on. I have an unbelievable amount of stuff to try, at this point.

The Blue Heron Trading Company just celebrated its 20th anniversary. They're the local gourmet food, kitchen gadget and cookware store. Cooking classes here fill up in a heartbeat - as in, the day the schedule arrives in the mailbox. There's an excellent selection of condiments, oils, sauces, olives, etc. as well as glassware, dishes, and fun textiles. A lot of my glassware has come from here, and this was one of the places we registered at for our wedding. If I want to try a tikka sauce and have no idea how it should taste, I have 2 choices: make it blind out of a cookbook, or buy a jar here and try it out.

gallery_28661_3_2078.jpg

In the foreground, a small part of the selection; in the background: the class kitchen.

gallery_28661_3_55559.jpg

In the background, you can see the original building vault - I assume this room was the accounting office originally, but I don't really know. A sketch of the original lift bridge is over the door. I've spent a lot of money on tablecloths and napkins here over the years.

gallery_28661_3_105429.jpg

See what I mean about the selection? You would NOT have seen this 25 years ago.

gallery_28661_3_76425.jpg

I bought a tube of tomato paste and let Jane get back to work. I forgot to buy saffron.

Two other changes I can point out:

gallery_28661_3_7995.jpg

(I don't remember sushi being in the Twin Ports area, ever, but now it's back.)

and...

gallery_28661_3_826.jpg

...don't get me wrong, the rise in tourism has also brought in a tide of chain restaurants, just like every other place. I've ignored them because I'm far more interested in the Vietnamese restaurant in the Dewitt-Seitz building (or the Lakewalk Cafe, for that matter), the new India Palace down the road, or the long-standing Wrazidlo's Meats that flourishes in its third generation. I'm sorry not to have pictures of these last three. You may have noticed, I don't eat out much - too much fun to cook, myself - so I can only show you what's there from the outside. As for Wrazidlo's, that's a definite oversight. It's my favorite butcher, and the folks there are terrific. They even have smoked salmon. :raz:

Edited to correct a labeling error.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Remember to warn your dinner guest(s) that there are toothpicks in the meal.  I'm wondering about thread to tie the chicken rolls closed next time.  Russ said I could just use dental floss; then he could eat and floss at the same time.  Such a deal, eh?   :laugh:

This looks so good! We like stuffed thighs but are not overly fond of pesto. I have used roasted red peppers and cheese among other things. Tying them is a bit of a pain at first but it is surprising how how quickly one gets the knack of it. Haven't tried dental floss though. :biggrin:

What do you use to tie them? Heavy thread, as for a turkey, or something lighter? (I'm guessing not nylon!) :wink:

Ordinary butcher's twine.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the tour. The area kind of looks like I imagined it would. What is it about cabins that are so much more fun than a regular hotel? Is it because it is like having your very own doll house? My sister and I stayed in a cabin on the Blanco river in the Hill Country a couple of months ago when we went up there to pick lavender at the lavender farms. I had to take many pictures of "our cabin."

The smoked fish is making me very hungry.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for the tour. The area kind of looks like I imagined it would. What is it about cabins that are so much more fun than a regular hotel? Is it because it is like having your very own doll house? My sister and I stayed in a cabin on the Blanco river in the Hill Country a couple of months ago when we went up there to pick lavender at the lavender farms. I had to take many pictures of "our cabin."

The smoked fish is making me very hungry.

I think it might indeed be a doll house effect. The newer resorts go quite the other way, toward the pampering luxury units. Funny, isn't it?

I wish you'd been here for the smoked fish. Right now I feel I could ward off a squadron of mosquitoes, without benefit of DEET or wet burning wood.

I may have given the idea that I only shop in the offbeat or elite places, and that's where all the changes have happened. I'd like to correct that, if I did. Tonight on the way home from work I stopped at Super One to pick up a couple of things. It could have been Zup's, if I'd thought of it in time. As I looked around, I realized anew that the change in the mainstream supermarkets has been as staggering as anything else. Zup's in Silver Bay has expanded and grown; it's better now than the best Duluth store was 25 years ago. Meanwhile, the Duluth stores have expanded as well. I generally get produce from Cub because theirs is best. During the week I do the oops-I-still-need this shopping at Zup's or Super One. Zup's has a good meat department, in particular, and they too have smoked fish.

Think about it. How long have you been able to see grocery store aisles and produce like these? If you live in a large city, you may take it for granted now. In northern Minnesota it's still too new.

gallery_28661_3_62227.jpg

gallery_28661_3_38629.jpg

While I was in there I found a new fruit called a "Hedge Ball". Have you ever seen it? They carefully state that it's not to eat, but that it can be used to repel insects or rodents in your house. I wonder what would happen if a Siberian husky ate it? The claim is that the pioneers planted these around their lots (in a hedge), hence the name. Is this really an osage orange?

gallery_28661_3_55735.jpg

Look at that skin pattern. It reminds me of brain coral.

gallery_28661_3_30880.jpg

Edited by Smithy (log)

How 'bout them hors duvers, ain't they neat?

A little piece o' cheese, and a little piece o' meat!

--Mason Williams, "Them Hors Duvers"

We did a comparison of smoked fish tonight. By the time we were done, we had little interest in other dinner. There's a ton of fish left over. When are y'all coming up? :biggrin:

As noted above, Russ Kendall's and Smokey Kendall's are not the same place. I picked up this lot at Russ K's. From left to right: whitefish, salmon, herring, cisco, trout, another whitefish.

gallery_28661_3_6426.jpg

Another view:

gallery_28661_3_1439.jpg

I got as close to the same thing as I could from Smokey Kendall. They didn't have herring.

gallery_28661_3_45376.jpg

Set up on a platter, unfortunately already raided before the camera came out, we could make side-by-side comparisons. The herring is in the center, whitefish at the upper left rim, then cisco, trout, salmon. The two salmons were the most different: Smokey's, on the bottom, was harder and paler than Russ' red salmon.

gallery_28661_3_29414.jpg

Smokey's salmon was drier and harder. Russ' trout may have been sweeter. They might be two different varieties of salmon, now that I think of it. In both cases, we found the whitefish and herring to be mild but a bit bony, the ciscos pretty fishy as well as bony, and the salmon and trout to be oiliest and most flavorful. Actually, we liked the trout best, with the salmon following. It's been a long time since I had smoked trout. Thanks, SnowAngel, for goading me into it.

Northern Waters Smokehaus salmon is in a class by itself, since I bought it with a coating. I love that black pepper and coriander coating (you can get other coatings, or none at all). The black pepper heat pounces with the surprise factor of a healthy predator, just as you're commenting on how tasty and mild and juicy the salmon is. I use this salmon often in pasta dishes. I should have mentioned, too, that this place will vacuum pack and ship their stuff. I took a picture but seem not to have uploaded it. If someone asks, I'll post it. Otherwise, I'll assume it's not important.

My husband, who normally doesn't like salmon, actually preferred the non-coated salmon to all the other fish except the trout.

By the time we finished with all that tasting, we weren't up for much more dinner. Dinner was braised potatoes and carrots, tossed with dill. Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss beer to finish it off.

Load the potatoes into a braiser (or sauce pan with a lid otherwise), add butter and a pinch of salt and a small amount of water. Simmer the potatoes about 20 minutes.

gallery_28661_3_34896.jpg

Add the carrots and simmer on low heat a while longer, until everything is cooked. If the water was the right amount to begin with, it will have just about evaporated, leaving a nice buttery almost-crunchy texture to the potato skins.

gallery_28661_3_13742.jpg

This was plenty, and it was good.

gallery_28661_3_39273.jpg

Edited to add cooking time for potatoes.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Good morning, all.

It's the last day of my blog. Slightly overcast, and we'll soon see whether it feels more like fall or summer. I'm about to go out for a quick walk, and then to work.

Are there any particular things you'd like to see me cook tonight, if there's time? I have in mind a short ice cream demo, which can otherwise be posted to the Ice Cream Cookoff thread. Aside from that, it depends on how late this blog stays open and what you might be interested in seeing.

Are there any particular things you'd like to see me cook tonight, if there's time?

Whitefish! Seriously, any fresh water fish would be great. Perch, smelt, walleye. Anything.

This has been a delightful blog and I'm glad that I've caught up in the past couple of days. And I miss the great assortment of good smoked fish you have available. Be thankful for what you have up there -- every area has its own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to food, and you've capitalized on your region's strengths.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

When I was up North last month, we took a ride on the Grandpa Woo, out of Two Harbors. The captain was a great tour guide--I recommend the boat ride, and the brats and grilled chicken sandwiches.

Anyhow, the captain said 85% of the homes visible on the North Shore are vacation homes--only 15% belong to year round residents.

I brought back lots of smoked fish from Zup's--freezing hasn't hurt it too much.

sparrowgrass

I may have given the idea that I only shop in the offbeat or elite places, and that's where all the changes have happened.  I'd like to correct that, if I did.  Tonight on the way home from work I stopped at Super One to pick up a couple of things.  It could have been Zup's, if I'd thought of it in time.  As I looked around, I realized anew that the change in the mainstream supermarkets has been as staggering as anything else.  Zup's in Silver Bay has expanded and grown; it's better now than the best Duluth store was 25 years ago.  Meanwhile, the Duluth stores have expanded as well.  I generally get produce from Cub because theirs is best.  During the week I do the oops-I-still-need this shopping at Zup's or Super One.  Zup's has a good meat department, in particular, and they too have smoked fish.

Think about it.  How long have you been able to see grocery store aisles and produce like these?  If you live in a large city, you may take it for granted now.  In northern Minnesota it's still too new.

pictures snipped out

Here in Oswego we still don't really have aisles that look like these. Of the three grocery stores in town, only one is set up such that you can pass someone else without scraping something off a shelf. Our produce is getting better, even in just the two years we've been here, but when I need a produce orgy I have to drive the hour to Wegman's.

How big or small a town do you feel like you live in? Do you feel "safe" running to the grocery store in whatever you happen to be wearing, or are you pretty much guaranteed to run into someone you know and you feel like you need to at least put a baseball cap and a non-holey shirt on?

Enjoying this slice of your life tremendously!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Are there any particular things you'd like to see me cook tonight, if there's time?

Whitefish! Seriously, any fresh water fish would be great. Perch, smelt, walleye. Anything.

This has been a delightful blog and I'm glad that I've caught up in the past couple of days. And I miss the great assortment of good smoked fish you have available. Be thankful for what you have up there -- every area has its own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to food, and you've capitalized on your region's strengths.

Thanks, Varmint!

The smelt aren't running right now, but I bet I can find some other freshwater fish for tonight. Mm. Lake trout!

I may have given the idea that I only shop in the offbeat or elite places, and that's where all the changes have happened.  I'd like to correct that, if I did.  Tonight on the way home from work I stopped at Super One to pick up a couple of things.  It could have been Zup's, if I'd thought of it in time.  As I looked around, I realized anew that the change in the mainstream supermarkets has been as staggering as anything else.  Zup's in Silver Bay has expanded and grown; it's better now than the best Duluth store was 25 years ago.  Meanwhile, the Duluth stores have expanded as well.  I generally get produce from Cub because theirs is best.  During the week I do the oops-I-still-need this shopping at Zup's or Super One.  Zup's has a good meat department, in particular, and they too have smoked fish.

Think about it.  How long have you been able to see grocery store aisles and produce like these?  If you live in a large city, you may take it for granted now.  In northern Minnesota it's still too new.

pictures snipped out

Here in Oswego we still don't really have aisles that look like these. Of the three grocery stores in town, only one is set up such that you can pass someone else without scraping something off a shelf. Our produce is getting better, even in just the two years we've been here, but when I need a produce orgy I have to drive the hour to Wegman's.

How big or small a town do you feel like you live in? Do you feel "safe" running to the grocery store in whatever you happen to be wearing, or are you pretty much guaranteed to run into someone you know and you feel like you need to at least put a baseball cap and a non-holey shirt on?

Enjoying this slice of your life tremendously!

MelissaH

I don't live in town at all, so I have to get dressed enough not to be ashamed if my car breaks down and I have to hike. Duluth, at around 86,000 people, is puny by California standards but is the 4th largest city in Minnesota. Still, between my social activities over the years (sailing, music, dancing, flight instructing) and the friendly nature of the area, the odds are I'll run into somebody I know. Sweats, okay. Low cut tube top and shorts, depends on my mood. Bathrobe, absolutely not. It's not unusual for people to wander into the store wearing their obvious work clothes, though (paint stains, garden dirt) so I don't feel conspicuous when I wander in with acid burns in my jeans...depending on where those holes are :raz: .

How big is Oswego?

Thanks for the kind words about the blog. I've been wondering about giving too much detail.

please explain "the braiser" where you made those

lovely looking potatoes?

it looks like its on the stovetop.

what is the pot made of?

or are you using some other pot for this?

and more details on braising technique and recipe please?

milagai

When I was up North last month, we took a ride on the Grandpa Woo, out of Two Harbors.  The captain was a great tour guide--I recommend the boat ride, and the brats and grilled chicken sandwiches.

Anyhow, the captain said 85% of the homes visible on the North Shore are vacation homes--only 15% belong to year round residents.

I brought back lots of smoked fish from Zup's--freezing hasn't hurt it too much.

I've heard great things about the Grandpa Woo, including their meals. The captain has it about right. The folks with money for vacation homes are snapping up the land as previous generations cash in on their land holdings. As a result, the shore land is becoming much more fragmented and the land values are going up. Long-time residents find their own property values going up; that's nice if you want to sell, but not so nice if you want to stay and can't afford the property taxes. Meanwhile, the struggle escalates between people who want vacation land with minimal development (except their nice big new homes) and the people who want businesses and industries that will provide good jobs and support local businesses (these grocery stores about which I rhapsodize, for instance) and schools for their children. It's a classic balancing act, hardly unique to this area, but focused especially by Lake Superior.

Uhm, back to food: I've never tried freezing smoked fish, but after this week's buying spree I think I'll have to. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Smithy (log)

I don't live in town at all, so I have to get dressed enough not to be ashamed if my car breaks down and I have to hike. Duluth, at around 86,000 people, is puny by California standards but is the 4th largest city in Minnesota.  Still, between my social activities over the years (sailing, music, dancing, flight instructing) and the friendly nature of the area, the odds are I'll run into somebody I know.  Sweats, okay.  Low cut tube top and shorts, depends on my mood.  Bathrobe, absolutely not.  It's not unusual for people to wander into the store wearing their obvious work clothes, though (paint stains, garden dirt) so I don't feel conspicuous when I wander in with acid burns in my jeans...depending on where those holes are :raz: .

How big is Oswego?

Oswego's the largest city in Oswego County, about 18,000 people big. Does that mean 5 Oswegos equal 1 Duluth? :laugh:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

please explain "the braiser" where you made those

lovely looking potatoes?

it looks like its on the stovetop.

what is the pot made of? 

or are you using some other pot for this?

and more details on braising technique and recipe please?

milagai

Hi, Miligai!

The pot is an enameled cast iron casserole, or braiser, I picked up on eBay a while ago, when Fifi hypnotised a bunch of us :raz: into buying Le Creuset in a very informative thread about the cookware. This particular braiser is from a brief period when LC was doing art deco style, and I've never seen another like it. (That makes me wonder if it's really LC, but what the heck - I like it, and it works.) When I first started making this style of potato, I did it in a covered sauce pan and it worked fine. However, I learned this winter that braisers really and truly do work better if they're made of a massive material such as cast iron, or clay - I presume because the braiser evens out heat fluctuations, but I don't know whether anyone's really figured it out yet. I highly recommend the eGullet Culinary Institute's course, The Truth About Braising: an eGCI seminar and lab. Several of us spent the week comparing techniques, cookware and results, and the ensuing discussion taught me a lot. The link I gave you is to the introduction, but from there you can go to the various lab sessions and question and answer sessions. The Q&A and discussion threads are still open, too, so you can take the course on your own, draw conclusions and continue the discussion.

I used this braiser on the stovetop of my electric stove. It could be done in the oven, but for something quick like this I find the stovetop more efficient. I scrubbed a dozen or so of the new potatoes I bought last weekend, leaving them whole. They went into the pot with 3 tbsp butter and 1/3 c. water. It's important not to use too much water, because if you do you'll have steamed potatoes with soft peels. The result is different. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes, then add a couple of cups of sliced carrots. Simmer until everything's tender, then toss all with a few tbsp. of chopped dill. I've had these stalks of dill standing in a vase in the kitchen, just for this purpose.

Why exactly the potatoes come out differently when braised, instead of steamed, I don't know. I do know that with only a small amount of water in that pot, it's pretty much evaporated by the time the potatoes are done. That leaves the potatoes with a buttery silky sauce in the bottom of the pot so that when you toss everything together it coats those tender-crunchy skins. When you bite into a potato it pops in your mouth like a grape and the buttery sauce mixes with the smooth young potato meat...oh, it's a treat! I'm not posting the recipe on RecipeGullet because it isn't mine to post, but this should give you enough to go on. Otherwise, I recommend picking up a copy of the New York Times Cookbook.

I don't live in town at all, so I have to get dressed enough not to be ashamed if my car breaks down and I have to hike. Duluth, at around 86,000 people, is puny by California standards but is the 4th largest city in Minnesota.  Still, between my social activities over the years (sailing, music, dancing, flight instructing) and the friendly nature of the area, the odds are I'll run into somebody I know.  Sweats, okay.  Low cut tube top and shorts, depends on my mood.  Bathrobe, absolutely not.  It's not unusual for people to wander into the store wearing their obvious work clothes, though (paint stains, garden dirt) so I don't feel conspicuous when I wander in with acid burns in my jeans...depending on where those holes are :raz: .

How big is Oswego?

Oswego's the largest city in Oswego County, about 18,000 people big. Does that mean 5 Oswegos equal 1 Duluth? :laugh:

MelissaH

:laugh: I dunno! How many songs do you have about Oswego? We only have one that I know of; the refrain goes

Oh, to tell you the truth

I like it in Duluth

I think that means you need 5 things that rhyme with Oswego. :raz:

Hmm. Now I remember the old song "Two to Duluth", about the woman trying to buy train tickets, and the ticket master replying "Ta rum te dum te dum" to the hapless woman because he thought she was saying nonsense syllables. They sure knew how to write 'em back in the 20's.

While I was in there I found a new fruit called a "Hedge Ball". Have you ever seen it? They carefully state that it's not to eat, but that it can be used to repel insects or rodents in your house. I wonder what would happen if a Siberian husky ate it? The claim is that the pioneers planted these around their lots (in a hedge), hence the name. Is this really an osage orange?

I'm 99% sure that it is. I find it pretty funny that they're selling these in the supermarket! Back when I was in college (and bored) in Kansas, we would occasionally try "hedge apple bowling", using these crazy-looking fruits and empty beer bottles...sometimes "hedge apple bocce"...or if we were feeling mean, we'd just chuck 'em at each other... :wacko:

They are indeed supposed to repel rodents and insects, but I don't know first-hand whether this is true.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I'm 99% sure that it is. I find it pretty funny that they're selling these in the supermarket! Back when I was in college (and bored) in Kansas, we would occasionally try "hedge apple bowling", using these crazy-looking fruits and empty beer bottles...sometimes "hedge apple bocce"...or if we were feeling mean, we'd just chuck 'em at each other... :wacko:

They are indeed supposed to repel rodents and insects, but I don't know first-hand whether this is true.

Thanks for that! Yes, they were in a novelty bin, with a little typewritten sign giving some old-timer's memories about them. They have a bit of a citrusy smell to the skin. I haven't tried to cut into mine. I'm sure, if I set it out someplace to discourage ants, that an inquisite dog will chew it or the cats will be playing with it.

I love the idea of hedge apple bowling. Sounds like something we'd have done, too.

Thanks for all the good pictures. For 20 years our annual fall trip was to Grand Marais with variations on how to get there from the far west suburbs of Chicago. We haven't been in about 4 years now, your pictures make me ready to go! Thank you!

Thanks for all the good pictures. For 20 years our annual fall trip was to Grand Marais with variations on how to get there from the far west suburbs of Chicago. We haven't been in about 4 years now, your pictures make me ready to go! Thank you!

Welcome, LikestoEatout! I'm trying to imagine the variations. Must have been at your end, unless you went around the lake? :biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words about the blog.  I've been wondering about giving too much detail.

Impossible!!

I've really enjoyed your blog, and the amount of detail.

I feel like I've learned quite a bit about your neck of the woods!

That's good to know. Thanks!

I ran out of the house this morning without breakfast, so in the mid-morning I broke down and started in on lunch. Again, it was leftovers reheated in the microwave. I didn't bother to photograph it; you can see the original at the bottom of this post, but there aren't any noodles this time around.

About 5 minutes later, an all-office announcement was made that donuts had arrived. :hmmm: